Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Bad Spelling & punctuation is one of my pet hates

2. I can absolutely guaranty you that the spelling bee winners I ever knew of would not be on the HAMB. Do you really need to know how to spell carburetor to explain how to tune one ? Do you need to know that the world's first carburetor for the stationary engine was invented in 1893 by the Hungarians János Csonka and Donát Bánki to be able to troubleshoot one?

Do you need to know how to spell "cowl" to be able to form a flawless one from flat sheet of steel? Do you need to know how to spell fabricater or carpenter to be a very good one.
    Could you learn something from a person who couldn't spell or didn't care to take the time to spell check?

3. Good call.

4. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

Or Dodge Cornet

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Is STANCED that bullshit where the cars have massive negative camber?

I have a Doge Cornet, it's parked next to my Lincon Contanatil right now!

6. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

''ran when parked'' is annoying!

also ln7>pony :p

7. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

[​IMG]

Ran when parked, I swear!

Attached Files:

8. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Oh FUCK! Can I have a pony too? I'll name it George after my Grandpa, and teach it to hate raisins, although "Craizins", y'know those cranberry-raisin things, aren't half bad.

Can someone reiterate the Camaro/Camero thing just one more fuckin' time too? Pleeeeeease? Maybe we'll all win an emu as well!

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

This made me laugh so much! :D

Emus huh?

...I've heard about you emu types. ;)

Hey did you hear the one about the Camaro ad that was spelled wrong? The ad said no tire kickers and the price was firm OBO and the car was all original except for the driveline change and custom body and interior and was only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays where she always talked about the cars motor and how it was using too much engine oil so she wants to sell it for big $$$$$$$ because she saw on on Barrette Jackson go for a lot of money because it's so rare so she's testing the waters and doesn't really want to sell it?

Apparently it ran when parked and only needs a 50¢ part to make it run again even though it's sitting in a creek and has rust in the usual places and would make a great rat rod or you can restored it if you're not a scammer...

...I get the second pony ride.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  11. There are actually mistakes that spell check will not catch. To, too and two for example.

I think that it is funny when someone uses slang as a way of speaking and gets all het up when someone makes a simple spelling mistake. We use a lot of slang in our way of speech when talking about automobiles.

yes there are some manners of speech or tapping in our world here that are intolerable but there are others that we should just ignore.

Now back to misused terms that annoy us.

This will annoy many of you, I use the term hawgs (sic) head in place of bell housing. I have heard the term used that way a lot in my lifetime, but someone gently explained to me that I was talking about a different part of the automobile, I think the chuck or pig from a rear end as i recall.

So just to get the juices flowing I am going to continue to use hawgs (sic) head for bell housing.

Let's get annoyed by misused terminology fellas. :D

In most instances this is probably a true statement. It was running then it quit running so it was then parked. Maybe it was parked in the middle of the interstate initially then moved later to make room for more cars. :D

Ya know here is one that bigs the hell out of me, all small block chevies are Corvette motors. I have a friend that actually has a 283 engine block in his '55 Stude, so if you went by the numbers it is a Corvette. But once you change the cam and the pistons and work the heads etc it is not longer a corvette motor no matter what the numbers say.

You can apply that to your foavorite Dodge, Plymouth, Ford and etc if you prefer.

Uh I didn't make these mistakes on purpose fellas, just sloppy as hell. But 31 vicky was kind enough to not jump my ass about it just highlight it in his post. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

What's the big deal about Corvette motors anyway? I used to drive a 78 Corvette that had a 225 horse 350... it was a slug!

You know what else ran when parked?

The Titanic...

It might be hard to start now though, it tends to get flooded.
    (now I await the butthurt)

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Yeah, but if you had the Titanic out in your back yard right now, do you have any idea how much you could probably get for it?!? Pooooonies for eeeeeeeveryboooodyyyyyy...

14. "The motor (engine) is all chromed out!" --- So, did you chrome the block and heads, too?

15. Riddle me this Beaner :

If I had a genuine L - 79 motor with low mileage but a water freeze cracked block.
    And a bottom of the barrel nothing special 2 bbl 327-350 / 3970010 block from some barge or truck even that was also lowmilage, or even a replacement block.

Let's say I took the barges engine and stripped it a bear block then installed all of the genuine L79 parts into it.

Which one of those engines is now the bad ass L79?

I chose the example of the L79 because I know it one of your favorites.

Ya know here is one that bigs the hell out of me, all small block cheviesare Corvette motors. I have a friend that actually hasa 283 engineblockin his'55 Stude, so if you went by the numbers it is a Corvette. But once you change the cam and the pistons and work the heads etc it is not longer a corvette motor no matter what the numbers say.

16. Actually a lot of Ford motors could have come out of ANYTHING the numbers made no difference.

What bugs me is that every 302 is a BOSS... and every Cleveland is a CJ... That is until you drive 40 miles and look at it and it's just some old greasy Granada motor or a 400 out of a Montego MX Villager wagon!

18. Ok...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. Did I screw that up that bad??? Now I gotta go back and look at it.

So let me understand this, you had an L-79 that you let get a crack in the block. Maaan I oughta just slap ya. :D:D

That is a damned good question, it is an L-79 in a truck envelope. The question is not that it is an L-79 because someone is going to look at the numbers ands say that it is a truck motor with L-79 pieces bolted on. Then they are going to be pleasantly surprised when it runs as well as it does.

I guess for all intents and purposes on a performance level it is L-79. The wrapper in this case would not change the way that it performs, unless the block was really out of square or the crank girdles were really out of alignment. But to be honest with anyone I think you would want to say what it is by description instead of by engine class. It is a truck block full of L-79 goodies.

I did buy a low compression 307 once for an L-79 because all the external add ons were L-79, intake, heads and etc. It looked the part for damned sure. I was not pleasantly surprised, but it was my own fault I looked at it and convinced myself that it was what I wanted it to be.

Damned good question anyway.

You drove a smog era Corvette. I am not Mr Corvette so don't misunderstand what I am saying as my being a Corvette lover.

The early corvettes were actually quite spunky for thier time, the '57 Corvette 283 actually put out 283 ponies and they bumped them up into the 300 hp range before they went to the 327 as the main powerplant for Corvettes.

There was a time that to say you had a corvette engine in your rod was bragging rights. That is a lot of what it is these days as well, just braggin rights.

Now if I had your old block in good shape and 31 Vic's L-79 parts I would have something, I could say that it was a '78 Corvette engine, everyone would think it was a stone until I let it out. Thats money in your pocket ob Saturday night in about any town in the US.

20. oj

oj

If i hear one more story about how he 'charged up a capacitor and put it in a buddies tool box' and about how it lit his ass up! i am going to take a pipewrench to the idiot because we need to weed his genes out of the pool.
    Gee whiz, what did you charge it up with? a 12v battery? was it very long ago?
    If you are going to tell a lie then take the time to research and learn about what it is so that it then becomes a story and not a dumbassed lie.

21. Yeah, every build has a damn "Corvette" engine in it. I guess that is why we see so many engine-less Corvettes out there.

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

"You still have the factory Batwing air cleaner on it!

23. Well I never charged up a capacitor and put it on someone's work bench, but I did pee on an electric fence once, maaaaan I'll never do that again. :eek:

I do know that the capacitor in an old tube television would light you up by the way.

24. greensheads

greensheads

[​IMG]

3000lb. Wench for sale on Craigslist....isn't it illegal to sell wenches?

Winch is another one that is misspelled a lot on CL.

25. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

How about "restored".... With incorrect paint, , trim, accessories, engine......

Another is "restored to original"....It's only original once...The day it came off the assembly line. (I did see a 57 Bel Air the other day...obviously it still wore factory paint,..thin spots from being "polished thru",...but well preserved)

4TTRUK

26. fsae0607

fsae0607

"Spring Pressure".

Springs apply force, not pressure :mad:. Pressure is Force x Area.

Sorry for the nerd rant :D

27. Wenches sell them selves on craiglist around here in the personals. But I don't see 3,000 lb being a good selling point.

Here is one that got me the other day, a fella has a magneto distributer. I never did find out what he had, a distributer that looked like a magneto or a magneto.

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I believe the 78 cars began the gutless smoggers era......

4TTRUK

29. Maybe if you're buying in bulk? :confused:

30. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Why do people feel the need to say any 20's-30's car with four doors is a "bonnie and clyde" car. Then at the end of the ad it says no BS, no scammers. When right in the title he is bsing and trying to scam the unknowing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.