Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Does anyone actually use their hot rod truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, May 4, 2012.

1. Yes, the BFD was featured in Hot Rod Magazine, the article was called "Wednesday Night Special", so named because several of us would get together on Wed nights to work on it. It was also picked as one of the 10 best hot rods for that year.

The BFD (the RPU) was built to race at the first HAMB Drags. It started with the 350 SBC gas raffle engine as shown in the pic. It now runs a hot 283 with mechanical injection on alcohol. PG with a trans brake and a big Olds/Pontiac rearend. My memory is fading but I think it has 4.86 gears? It runs in the low 10's, which feels a lot faster when you are driving since it is open cockpit with the wind and noise.

2. Firefly

Firefly

Ha, ha ... reminds me of the time we went in the '38 pick up to collect an unused stainless steel table from the mortuary. Had to pick it up at night. Pulled up into the loading bay with the hot rod and began to load said table into back of truck. A Police car turned up to make a 'delivery'. "Evening officers (I said) were just making a collection". They replied "evening ma'm, were just making a delivery". Funny as all hell!

ps: the table makes one hell of a work bench!

3. My '59 has hauled scrap,dirt, mulch and parts. This year she hauls my lazy ass to camping & car shows. :cool:
    The body is so bad, if I don't trade for a new toy or sell her, she's getting
    a new body this this winter. (I'm thinking a Caddy ):eek:

Attached Files:

4. Mine's a truck every day and it gets used as one every day. It's not as pretty as some of yours but I like it that way. This is becoming a common sight around here.:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not as much as I have in the past. Gary

Attached Files:

6. Great lookin truck.

My experience comes from my uncle's shitty S10. I don't know how it still ran. Blown head gasket, 200k miles, never changed the oil, timing WAY off, vacuum leaks, exhaust rotted out. They may be a really nice motor with some work (cam, higher compression, intake, carb, headers, etc). My dads friend races 3rd gen Camaros with iron dukes.

7. Damn fine truck. I've got a similar truck in mind. '53 F-100 with built flattie or 292 Y-block, 500cfm Edelbrock carb on the flattie and 650 on the 292, Fenton tube headers for the flattie and T-bird manifolds for the 292, decent cam, glasspacks, a few inches drop on the front, helper springs in back, worn medium blue paint, nice wood bed floor, and a 3 on the tree.

8. MilesM

MilesM

I have a 54 GMC 3/4 ton and I use it like a truck!

I have a vintage Airstream that I am slowly restoring to pull behind it.

9. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

I have a 50 chevy puckup and when i did my kitchen demo, i used my truck to haul all the debris to the dumpster. I bought it for the dual purpose of havin a hotrod that is fun to cruise with and also is functional. I love it and my wife appreciates it! Hah.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not shy to say that when I finally finish the 54 AD it will NOT be subjected to normal truck use. I have 2 others for that, and much better suited for the tasks. The idea of "It's a truck.." is meaningless to this build.

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

my kid drives my 67 daily to school and hauls all his lacrosse equipment in the bed

12. takid455

takid455

Use my 56 F250 for hauling scrap, dirt, rocks, shit, ect. Not really a rod as it is an actual unrestored work truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wow, that '56 F250 is incredible. That's what a truck ought to look like!

14. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

I use mine all the time. Its getting lowered this summer and I have a set of Fentons and aan Offy manifold for the original 216.

Picking up furniture at a the Ashley/Phillips warehouse last weekend.

[​IMG]

Putting in a fence at the gf's place in this pic.

[​IMG]

15. Yep, Harley recovery...
    [​IMG]

16. takid455

takid455

Thanks

Picked it up from original company/ owner too. What you see on the doors is real some 50 yrs ago. Originally used for hauling a 250 gal fuel tank around sites to refuel the machinery. Engine appears to have been rebuilt before being parked in '84 unless the factory stamped the caps. I got it in '09 and fired right up after doing the basic checks and fluid changes. I have good metal to replace the damaged areas along with a 354 hemi. As much as I want to have some 'fun' with it, I do enjoy it as it is.

17. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

Countless cars and engines towed home with The Truck....1946 M-5 Studebaker Thanks Dad!

Attached Files:

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool Stude,tell us more about it!

19. My 56 Dodge 1/2 ton is my daily beater...It has a 77 Camaro subframe under it, a 77 Dodge 318 with a mild cam and an Edelbrock carb/performer intake, dual sidepipes, a 727 Torqueflite trans, a 67 Caddy tele/telescopic steering column, a 67 Tbird front seat, and a sure grip 3:23 rear....I've hauled engines ad nauseum, the pickup cab for my ratrod, tree trunks, branches, scrap iron, garden tractors, motorcycles, and the wooden floor planks are pieces of treated deck lumber purchased at The Home Depot....It will never rot as long as I own it....I actually USE it as it was intended to be used.....BTW, it was painted with a roller and a brush using Rust-O-Leum !....BEATERS ARE BETTER !!!

20. If you saw my truck you would get all whiney and say it was useless but Ido still use it to haul tires and parts. So how do you know they are not being used as trucks? Looks like you are crying over spilled milk before you even know if the milk is spilled or not.

21. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Damn right I do...

Doing what it was meant to do....
    Hauling the 53 bed remnants...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    600 sq feet of flooring....$2500 in there...more than I paid for the truck.
    [​IMG]
    Hauling wood and trim for my home addition.
    [​IMG]

22. jamn47

jamn47

I beat the crap out of my truck. The bed wood is all ripped and dented from hauling bricks to engines. I always had a regular pickup for a work truck, I sold the other ones I have had, so this is my work truck now. I recently pulled the Big Block Ford and now have a roller cam small block Ford with a reverse manual C-6 still has 3.89 gears so it pulls real nice. Someday I will paint it. I'm thinking Ford mineral grey or titanium, something conservative and simple.

23. deadly

deadly
    from surrey,uk

24. mj40's

mj40's

Loaded with toys for Toys for Tots a couiple years back.

[​IMG]

And sometimes I put it to work.

[​IMG]

25. XXL__

XXL__

Chopped top, suicide doors, slammed to the ground, every part and panel on the vehicle has been "touched" in some way or another... I beat it like a red-headed stepchild. I hauled 3 yards of mulch the other day, take regular trips to the Homey Depot for lumber or plumbing or other around-the-house project materials, have hauled motors, transmissions, and rearends, bench seat, fenders, and even another cab. It's time to do some DA work in the bed and actually put down a spray-in bed liner to protect it a little. Hmmm... maybe I'll get on that next weekend.

26. sophisto79

sophisto79

I'm planning on using mine as its intended. Just need her working safe an reliably!

Attached Files:

27. Colville

Colville

Dang I want an old truck.

28. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I don't think I would use my truck for work unless it was something too big to fit in my daily. Like a new engine, tranny or new parts I might find at a meet. She is by no remote means a trailer queen either.

29. Moose223

Moose223

Yep 65 Ranchero does all the hauling around here!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ive used my apache to haul some shit. im in the process of redoing the whole thing now. im doing an air ride setup but i want to keep the notch at a minimum so the bed is still very much usable. and ill just make my own wodden floor for cheap