Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Here's some crazy Mo'Fo's

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uwaPAIqcjJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

So many good cars lost their dignity all for the sake of "cool".

3. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. This is in 1967 but continued runnind it in the 70's and 80's Cruzing in the Nomad
    327 4sp 57 Olds / 4:11 Ran 13.20 consistant at Femont
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Later those same "cool" cars underwent over-restorations.

See them at car shows, and avoid them like the black plaque.

Boring!

6. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Just like todays fads of overchopped ,overchanneled,straight axle under any car,flat paint and primer,ect,ect. years from now people will look back and ask why people did that to cars in 2012. I'm sure most of the cars got redone again in another style later.

7. catman

catman
    from El Reno

thanks for the link to Tumbler up in the rear, those were the cars I grew up with, man the memories !!:eek:

8. Uh, they still do look at what some of the fellas post on this site. :eek:

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whats really funny is, the guys that are caught up in whatever the latest flavour of the week is can never see that. Most guys get to the party late, after the bubble bursts, they sell off thier half-finished custom van/pro-streeter/muscle car resto/mono-coloured pastel street rod/pro-touring/psuedo-gasser at a loss to jump on the next band wagon that happens to be rolling by.

10. Removed The dis liked truck

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  11. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I'm sure back then was like today.If you lifted the rear and put on nice wheels and people thought it looked cool,the next week a guy will show up with his lifted twice as high to get attention.

12. Ha the only thing that bothers me about the truck is the flat bed. And if you hadn't appologized for the other things on the truck I wouldn't have mentioned it. :D

Now there is a '70s fad that hasn't been posted yet. Flat bed T with wooden kegs in the back. That I think started out as a show fad and everyone jumped on the band wagon. I think the actual term was not flat bed come to think of it it was stake bed.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Maybe a poor A to Q,but after building rods and customs from mid 50's to 1965,I got a wife and went racing.
    HOT ROD mag had F-ing vw glass dunebuggy :eek:on its cover in 65 so that was to me one of many signs it was over as I knew it,the cars in the 70's looked pretty much all the same:confused:,so I just kept racing for about 45years,did get to work on a few rods that come to my raceshop to fit or tune stuff that they just didn't like the way other hot rod shops were doing it.
    Got back to hot rod again about 10years ago.:cool: I'd admit I jumped over the 70,80,90

14. At the time i was lookinh for a p/u box but could not find what i wanted
    it did have a 14 gal Moon tank on the back but had to stop to often
    the aluminum box is for wife we go from Pensacola FL to Mississippi and other traveling.
    the flat bead was to be temperary

15. monsterflake

monsterflake

the superbad stevie lisk challenger. pro stock hemi and a lenco, ruling the streets of detroit. it wasn't long before the thai ladyboys of fairgrounds cruisers showed up. they looked the part, but if you took one for a spin, the difference was readily apparent...

[​IMG]

16. Benno, I am with you 100% on the flat bed .... not just that one but all of them out there ... if a guy goes to the trouble of fielding a classic pickup , nice engine , nice rims etc then, for gods sake drop a dime and find a decent factory bed ... shortened yes , fabbed flat bed no! .... unless its a factory set-up, no amount of wood and shellac (and beer kegs) is gonna make one look good ... ever!

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

before "up in the back" was "up in the front
    ' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:)

Attached Files:

19. blackanglia

blackanglia

This is what I was driving in 1974, and yes that is me with hair and 75lbs lighter. [​IMG]

20. The truck was a factory flat bead
    PU bed was all wood
    ill get rid of it for you
    No more truck

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My OT hot rod back in the late '70's.

[​IMG]

I still own it today, '70s rake and all...
    [​IMG]

22. SOLO

SOLO

This is a rad thread! I remember rolling these big wheels back in the day. Was a master at spin outs! Nova is bad ass too!

23. That was not a factory bed at least not from the 20s-30s .... someone is leading you down a flowery path my friend.

"Factory" beds were made from coldrolled steel and rounded corners. A 20 foot length of 2x3 square tube and a few pieces of 2x6 from Home Depot and there's your bed ... but like said, eyes of the beholder.

24. Ramblur

Ramblur

I managed to resist the 'stink bug' stance... This pic is probably shortly after my hand grooved slicks helped bust 4 or 5 teeth off the ring gear of
    the 4.56 axle. Thankfully I also had the Opel Kadet for just such occasions.

[​IMG]

25. I was just givin' you a hard time because you appologized. Something that I did figure out probably way back in the '70s is that the more temporary a thing is the more permanent it is.

I do like phone booths by the way and to say you have been cruising that one since the '70s is quite a feat.

26. uk i am not a computer person
    i can not figure how to put it back
    it was a 12" flat bead originaly
    the truch has been a subject of not belonging here any way

27. No it was not the factory flat bead
    yes i made it i was 19
    the destroyed 12' bead was not used
    the PU bed that was offered on a 1ton was all wood with metal brackets

and sam i drove that truck all over the Bay Area Nor Cal

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  28. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

A couple scans from years ago. Most people remember the Silver Bullet, not so many remember Lisk's car. Maybe it needed a catchy name.

Attached Files:

29. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

High School Big Block, 4 speed, 64 Chevelle and 64 Impala cruiser

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.