Register now to get rid of these ads!

wondering if I am wasteing my time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chunk40, Jun 9, 2012.

1. chunk40

chunk40

will a fluid drive transmission fit on engine that did not have a fluid drive on it???????

2. chunk40

chunk40

thats awsome.....

3. What motor ? What year ? What car ?

4. mackster

mackster

i think you are talking about a mopar fluiddrive...if im correct I would say...the fluid drive is the way the transmission connects to the engine. the fluid coupling can be on a standard three speed transmission or on a semi automatic transmission. You can make it fit by changing the transmission mount and shortening the drive shaft. for a better answer i suggest you visit the P15-d24 forum. those guys know it all when it comes to mopar from the 50s!
    ! :D

5. chunk40

chunk40

thanks.....the fluid drive trans came out of 1950 dodge and my engine is a l head flat top six........the other engine came out of a 1950 plymouth convert and it is a flat top six also but with a standard trans on it........the reason i am doing this is because I threw a rod in my engine.......

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

Sounds like it should swap.
    Ya never know on some of this stuff though.

7. chunk40

chunk40

this where I am at.......the fluid coupling will not bolt up to the other engine....sooooo now I am going to have to rebuild my engine.....the stamp on the engine is D3436974.....does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for that engine?????

8. mackster

mackster

yup. it will swap out. the only difference will be the length of the input shaft. but if you get the whole trans with the fluid coupling you might just need to reposition the trans mount. but like i said: you are better off posting on the p15-d24 forum.

9. George

George

Most likely Kanter

10. the best thing to do here is to swap out both engine/trans combos as a single unit....these transmissions have very long input shafts....if at all possible,lay them side by side for a comparison...I dont think they will interchange....the fluid drive trans might be longer....use the other car for a donor car and just make the changes required...the driveshafts may be different lenghts...everything should just swap over.:)

11. chunk40

chunk40

the main problem is the fluid coupler will not bolt to the engine and the other problem is the trans mount is farther back for the fluid flow the standard trans would need the mount 8 to 10 inches forward.......well i can say I learned alot about the difference between the two styles......thats the upside....

12. George

George

If all else fails...Quality Engeneered Components, "73RR" here on the Board, has adaptors to put a modern tranny behind it.

13. I think that George is on to something here....why play around with a hokey old gearbox using weird (for today) shift rods and mechanisms??...Have this "73RR" guy hook you up with whatever you need to give the old girl the transmission she really needs !!

14. chunk40

chunk40

I will give him a shot......at the moment the old girl is just sitting

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have both cars why not swap in the manual trans along with the engine?

I don't know why the fluid drive won't swap over. Is it because there aren't enough bolt holes in the flywheel flange?

The guys at P15D24 web site specialize in these cars. They will have the answers if anyone does.

www.P15-D24.com - Powered by vBulletin

16. 390kid

390kid

im running an original fluid drive motor against a standard 3 speed. you just plug the hole but for the 3 speed you need the trans with the shorter input shaft. i think that they are from 49- 52. swap works fine. but you can look into the auto trans adapter. i like my 3 speed though.

17. If you have the engine, trans and drive shaft from a 50 plymouth it will bolt in a dodge. The fluid drive cars have a differant bolt pattern on the crank flange, also the bellhousing is longer as is the input shaft.

18. chunk40

chunk40

the crank flange is the big problem.......I fell into a sweet deal.....getting a slant six plus complete drive train and the front frame section from a 51 dodge for 150 bucks delievered.......sometimes a blind squirrel gets a nut......thanks for all the help