Register now to get rid of these ads!

Price of Oil vs. Price of Gasoline....WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCRIBE35, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

In the 70's, diesel was MUCH cheaper thas gas... what changed?

2. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

And they still complain after they profit billions of dollars a year!!!

3. 51custom

51custom

Here in good ol' Kbec...litre of 10w30 is $5.99, a litre of full synthetic is $12.95 and reg. gas is just over $6.00 a gal..(4litre) It's the oil co. game...
    Jim

4. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

That would be the price of gasoline..... the subject of this thread was the comparison of fuel prices vs. motor oil prices...both petroleum products....not the outlandish price of gasoline....which is, in fact, a dead horse.

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Hey people, what about hot rods?

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Both made form petroleum, which the price is begin driven by speculation. Nice try though. Beat that damn dead horse....

Seriously.

7. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Ok I'm not even old enough to have lived through it, but through a little bit of research in 1960 a postage stamp cost $0.04. A gallon of gas was $0.31. Now a stamp is $.45, so an increase of 11.25 times. If you look at gas which is about $3.50 right now where I am, an increase of 11.29 times. So relative to other things gas seems to be on target with everything else. Unfortunately, we use a lot more gas than postage stamps.

In 1960 Average household income was $4,080. In 2011 $49,500 which is 12 times, but keep in mind there were a lot more single income households than there are today (I would venture to say that most are dual income). So it would probably be safe to assume that most jobs have only increased 6-8 times (if you split between dual income). Still not the 11.3 times that everything else is.

Another concept that is interesting to me is that with the advent of technology we are actually outputting much more than what a similar position back then would have output. So Technology despite making our jobs easier has made us cheaper.

I don't think it is so much about the price of anything anymore so much as the ratio of earnings to cost. Earnings haven't kept up with the same increase as cost has. So there you have it. Blame it on gas if it makes you feel better.

8. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honolulu, HI

Premium = $4.59
    Regular = $4.35

Can't go that far though!

T

9. swissmike

swissmike

New cars were $3000 in the 50's -60's and gas was 30 cents a gallon. Gas is still not really that much more expensive than back then, especially when compared to just a few years ago when gas was $2.

10. ronk16

ronk16

local taxes (depending on your state), refining location (transportation costs) and the complete greed of the speculators who drive up the costs because they feel like it.....

11. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

You're still not getting my point (among others). We've been crying about the high price of gas for what, 10 years? While MOTOR OIL (you know, the stuff you put in your hot rod) has been priced drastically out of line for longer than any of us have been alive.

So, maybe we're beating the same horse, just a different part of it!:)

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

A quart of decent oil has been about the same cost as a gallon of gas for quite a while, sometimes much more if you want the good stuff. And I'm just talking about petroleum based. Synthetics and paraffin based oils are more. The additive packages are what does it to the motor oil even more than the price of crude as far as the discrepancy .

The beating a dead horse is crying about the price of gas on the internet... Beat it baby, BEAT IT....

of course no intro and not filling out your profile doesn't help your case... :eek::eek::D:D:p

13. swissmike

swissmike

Motor oil contains detergents, additives, thickeners, which are more expensive than the oil. There is much more research in oils than that there is in gas in comparison. Oil is a low volume item compared to gas. There are rumors that some people pay 1000 times more for tap water that comes in a nice little bottle!

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

But the most expensive liquid that people pay for regularly is printer ink.

15. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Maybe..... How much do you suppose is spent on advertising vs brands of gasoline??

16. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

of course no intro and not filling out your profile doesn't help your case... :eek::eek::D:D:p[/QUOTE]

I did have a bio under my previous name- espo35. I made one of the admins mad, I suppose and got tossed out on my ear. Oh well.....

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So you've been banned and came back under a different name, how delightful.

18. derpr

derpr

I still don't get the green oil. if its made from recycled oil shouldn't it be cheaper. alot cheaper. and don't even get me started on premixed anti-freeze.

19. swissmike

swissmike

I read your question 5 times and don't really understand what you're getting at...

I am not under the impression that gasoline takes much marketing effort. Most people stop at a as station when the tank is empty, however when you buy oil in the store you have a choice between brands. So I would say motor oil has higher marketing costs associated which is also reflected in the price.

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! It's dead now! You can quit smackin' it with :Dthat stick.

21. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Yes, I was banned... and for being rather less repugnant than you seem to be, I might add.

Life is so unfair, what with the high price of gas and all....sniff.....;)

22. swissmike

swissmike

Getting the crap out of used oil is probably more expensive than starting with fresh crude and then the crap has to be disposed of which is probably not so cheap if done according to EPA. And I guess the best reason is because they can and people are willing to buy it!

23. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

I'm a pretty old fart, and I remember back when gasoline companies spent bazillions, touting their product. Now they don't.

Motor oil, on the other hand is advertised MIGHTILY. That money comes from somewhere.... guess where?

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Taxes=Greed
    Greed=Taxes

25. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

BINGO!!!!!! With Goldman/Sachs & Citibank being the two largest speculators.

26. Tetraethyl lead is close to the last chemical compound that we would want to bring back....believe me...

27. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

3wLarry - Huh? :confused:

Anyway, I don't think this is a dead horse. Gas was no more than $.99 a gallon as late as the late '80s, and $2.00 just 10 years ago....there is no sense for this massive jump AND the fact that it fluxuates as much IN A DAY as it used to cost per gallon in the '70s! That's BS

Blame it on speculators, gas cos., a president who has shut down drilling any way he can, and refining costs....something is wrong.

As long as our cars aren't running on flux capacitors and compost, gas prices are not a dead horse.

28. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm sure your local corn farmers would disagree. Last time I checked, everything in my driveway and garage ran just fine on American Grown Ethanol.

Gas prices are dictated by YOUR politicians. Ask them why 80% of gas prices are taxes.

Thanks ZMAN. :cool:

What does a tree hugger have to do with anything gasoline related?

29. slim tempo

slim tempo

Economics teaches us it's supply and demand. I know that in prison Vasoline costs ten cigarettes for a dab. And cigarettes don't come cheap. Oops!

I'm kidding. I've never been to prison. But to those who have, not that there's anything wrong with that.

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not even close.

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/web_gas_taxes.php

In North Carolina it's roughly $.90/gal in taxes (State and Federal) and I paid $3.50 ish this morning for gas.

Let's beat a horse....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.