Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do admins just delete instead of ...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by amphicar, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I've experienced it myself and seen it happen to others here but in NO other forum is it so rampant and random. Why do admins prefer to just delete or close an entire thread because of something they deem inappropriate instead of asking (or just doing it) the OP to edit? A very informative and heartbreaking thread was just closed because the admin took offense to ***** (edited so he won't feel all hurty inside) There are COUNTLESS examples of that same word and worse used everyday here, yet this derailed the admin.

Why not do the mature (and better for the masses) thing and just edit out the one offensive word instead of ending an informative conversation that we all would have like to follow? It was very popular for a reason, yet one word killed the whole thing? I thought we were adults here and not a daycare.

Now go wash my mouth out with soap already.:eek:

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey fellas... Sensitive time and a sensitive subject, but I'm afraid I have to be the bad guy here. I'm not comfortable with hosting such language towards a woman. Call me old fashion, call me a "bitch," but I just can't do it. My dad would beat me like there was no tomorrow.

So, I'm closing this. So sorry to the fella that lost his car.

Ryan

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Amphicar,

Take it up with Ryan - he closed it and while he doesn't have to give you a reason - he did.

Ryan posted why. His website and he can do what he wants.

Plus his father would beat him like no tomorrow.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cant speak for that one, cause I didnt Close it.

But I try to look for the value and how On or Off Topic a Thread is.

And then Delete Close or Edit, based on that.

As a seperate personal observation, it seems to me that the authors of the most Irrelevant stuff are the most ready to defend it to the very end.
    And when it becomes clear that didnt give the results they wanted, after an enormous amount of passive agressive and time consuming arguing, they then ask why other in their view similar threads werent Deleted Closed or Edited as well.

Well... Maybe I was busy dealing with a User who was unhappy about his post being zapped...

All the Mods here are volunteers.

We all have our real daytime jobs.

And what time we have, we can only spend once.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

5. daddio211

daddio211

The mods already have a job tough enough... one they are not paid for, one they volunteer for.

If they were on Ryan's payroll maybe things would be different. For the meantime, I see no reason a mod should have to PM a member asking them to restructure something offensive. We're adults, we should be able to follow very reasonable rules.

No offense intended Amphicar, just stating my opinion.

I think the mods do a FINE job and let too many things slide. Unless they delete this post, then I'll be pissed! :D JK DOGS!

6. Why are about a third of these "Waa, I just got my thread deleted" threads usually you? .... bend alittle man, maybe you are the problem.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's just how I do things. Sorry if I disappointed ya, but to be honest - my gut instinct has worked pretty well thus far... and I'm not about to change. That post needed to be closed.

8. 117harv

117harv

That thread was going nowhere and was about to get nasty. As for the title, it does say in the rules NO profanity in the subject lines, was it profanity? I don't call women that either, and was raised to respect them. Ryan was spot on, and it is his shop that i/we are visiting...respect it.

9. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

To answer your STUPID question, I have had but a single post deleted ever and it was an ad not a thread so with all due respect, STFU until you know what your talking about. Pay attention... "alittle" because methinks maybe YOU are the problem.

I was not asking WHY it was deleted, Ryan clearly stated why it was deleted, but did not address why it couldn't be edited instead. My question was and is still "Why do admins just delete instead of editing or ask for an edit?" Was that clear enough for all those who failed to read my post?

It seems to me it would be far easier to just edit out the single offensive word and let an important thread continue than to write an apology and close it. If there is a logical reason for this, it would be far easier to understand.

10. 117harv

117harv

Why was it an important thread?

11. Multi-colored bolded call out must be taken seriously.
    [Smack] - Pay attention to me, me me

12. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

The guy got his beautiful Edsel wagon totaled, family could have been hurt by a woman that may have been distracted. That is important to know what he does and how things unfold. Educating yourself from his experiences could be of help to anyone here who gets in a wreck.

I know I just went thru having my live turned upside-down in a similar situation.

You get a smiley face for paying attention...:)

13. Maybe someplace they should write down the rules.
    Maybe no profanity it the title.
    Oh yea, they already did that.

14. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

Smiliey face deleted, I see you weren't paying attention afterall... :mad:

15. 117harv

117harv

OK i'll give you that, but severall pages of i hope all of you are alright and get a lawyer? I too hope they have no lasting injuries and they get $$$ restitution. The guy last posted in 07,went 5 years without a post and them posted two adds, and then this thread?

The woman may have been distracted? We all have done that at one time or another, but the word he called her? Maybe one of the last posts about harassment and the title sealed the threads fate, one person knows for sure.

16. Please dont take my smiley away.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

ACTUALLY there was an EDIT way before the thread was locked. How do I know, cuz one of the words in one of the posts was VERY offensive and I reported it and it wasn't the word "bitch". It was a very disrepectful word. Plain and simple as that.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Now you are calling people stupid? This isn't going to end well for your account.

19. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I did not call anyone stupid, I called his question stupid.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

And yet you want to make changes to make things easier to understand and better for the masses... :rolleyes:

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Well, your question is answered... Now, go drive in the water or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.