Register now to get rid of these ads!

AC info - help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Looking for some air conditioning info , book recommendation, or links.

I have a computer controlled AC system that I need to have functional via 60s technology. I have very limited knowledge on AC, so this will be a learning experience.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

3. Thanks, ill check it out.

4. Any AC gurus in the house ?

I know enough to be dangerous but I may be over complicating it.

Pressure switch to shut clutch relay off maybe all I need ?

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

im needing to learn about ac myself.as long as ive worked on cars ac is not something i had a interest in. dumbass me lol. ive got 4 underdash units now i have to see what else i need to get a couple of cars with cool wind. i am now old!! remember the days when we got a car with air and that was the first thing we took off! not anymore lol

6. The computer makes sure high speed fan is on.
    * that's easy.
    The computer triggers ac compressor for initial start up.
    * that's easy
    The computer toggles AC clutch via pressure sensor readings.
    That's the fuzzy part at this point.

Thanks Heap

7. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I'm no expert on A/C systems for sure, going off memory from a Ford class I took a couple years ago, but can add a few things. Hopefully someone will correct me if I get things horribly wrong.

Most systems will use 3 switches (often with 2 built into one part). The high/low pressure switch will shut off power to the field coil (compressor clutch) if for some reason the system over pressurizes, or if you spring a leak and lose all your refrigerant, this will keep your compressor from burning up. The 3ed switch turns the compressor on when pressure drops during normal operation.

EDIT: Whats the year/make/model of car the systems from? Would be able to find more info for you.

8. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

If you use a cycling clutch system as in a ford car, you need to have fixed orifice tube in the line. The two switchs operate in the two pressure side of the a/c system low and high. They are pretty basic and not to complicated.

9. I don't thing what you are saying makes your system computer controlled the switches you are talking about are normal and relays can make the system work Do you have a computer for the system you want to install?

10. Well it seems to be computer controlled,
    most certainly involves a computer, the computer determines how the system runs and cycles by its one sensor that has 5 volt reference and reads high and low pressures.

I want to eliminate the computers involvement entirely.

11. Dennis Overholser wrote a book "Hot Rod Wiring" I bought it on line at Wolfgang Publications.Page 138 has a diagram with how to.
    I would post it but I don't want to violate any copy right law.

12. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  13. ...

14. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  15. I need the system to work and function just like any pre 80s pre computer system did.

I'm sure its relatively simple, I just don't have a good grasp on the theory or component function to satisfy the needs.

I don't want this to go off topic any further than A/C already might be.

16. badshifter

badshifter

Put a common a/c binary switch on the high side. That will disengage the clutch if no or low pressure. You can also wire in a thermostat with a probe that will control temp cycling. Check the vintage air catalog. You can buy them individually.
    http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg75.pdf

17. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

If you want to learn all about auto ac, a good source of info is a training for manual ASE exam book. Maybe more info than you need, but it covers the basics for sure. Not expensive either.