Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery finned Intake box??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MCjim, Jun 3, 2012.

1. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Picked this up at a swap meet today...anyone know what it is/was? Cast aluminum, has a standard Holley flange, the ends have some strange spring-loaded flow cones in them. Somebody tell me before I hack it up.

[​IMG]

2. Model A Nut

Model A Nut

I don't know but it sure is cool!!!

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Part of a turbo conversion?

4. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Are there any casting marks or numbers in it anywhere? My best guess would be a dual turbo intake. . .

5. spiders web

spiders web

whats the underside look like?

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I believe it to be a dual turbo intake as well, which, ironically, I'm in need of.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why would you hack it up?

8. cakes

cakes

Please don't hack it up, someone could probably use it as is

9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Here's the bottom...no names or numbers anywhere... I was gonna make a carb cover for my bike...but it does seem a waste to cut up if someone can use it...
    [​IMG]

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Gota be turbo setup.

11. tjm73

tjm73

No idea what that is for, but it is cool as shit!!!! Please don't hack it up.

12. 117harv

117harv

YES, PLEASE don't hack it up...cool piece.

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Ummmmmm, has anyone read my post above..? I could use it! I dunno if you're looking to get rid of it, but please don't hack it up either way. I believe it is probably missing the base, which would have been rectangular and had the center cut out with a crossmember for attaching it to the carb. You would probably have found any information, casting numbers, make, etc., on the base. The top part would then bolt onto the base for a nice clean look, no wingnut on top.

But it would match my finned aluminum Cal-Custom valve covers on my 390 FE quite nicely...

14. aircap

aircap

Tre cool as is....

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Yep, turbo stuff. the cone shaped deals are Impco controllers? An alternative to wastegates.

16. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Hey Jim. Like I said in my PM reply, I've also got a mystery part. I picked this carb hat up out of the bed of a 50-something Chevy truck in a salvage yard in Augusta GA about 10 months ago. I didn't know why I had to have it, but I just knew it needed to go home with me. They didn't know what to charge me for at the counter, so they rung it up as an air cleaner... 4 bucks. :D Six months later we started talking about doing something, er, stupid, and turbocharging the new engine going into my OT '66 Galaxie 500. I suddenly knew why I had to have this thing months earlier.

The only casting numbers on it are AD-37, no other writing, nothing. It's too rough cast (aluminum) to be a mass-produced part, and frankly I just don't know what the Hell it went to. So if you don't mind me tagging along to your thread, maybe we can both get some questions answered? :confused:

Attached Files:

17. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

It's basically a "carburetor" of sorts for a twin turbo. Not a true carburetor, per se, but it mixes the fuel and the air. The more air that passes through, the more fuel gets released. Exactly what I need to make the BFT above (and one more just like it) work on my OT.

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sorry, but the OP's unit only controlls boost pressure. Each of the 2 control valves have a spring loaded valve inside that as boost pressure backs up behind it, closes itself off limiting boost pressure. The small holes on the side are just vents and not for fuel. They are simpler than a wastegate but less efficient because of the internal restrictions.

19. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Hmmmm. OK, so if that bolts to the top of the intake, obviously in place of the carburetor, how does the fuel get into the mix? Not doubting you, just curious. I'm considering using it on an OT project of mine, but I'd like to know more about how it works in order to determine whether or not I can even use it.

20. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

May have been on a blow through setup.

Edit. I meant the opposite of that (draw through), sorry, too many beers.

21. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Wouldn't it have a round base in order to mount to the top of a blow-through carb, rather than a base that would be the same as the base of the carb? I'm just getting really curious as to how this little beast actually works, that's all.

Edit: Wish I had a couple beers.

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I meant to say draw through originally, think Corvair/turbo Olds F85, etc. Carb-turbo-intake, except with the impco deals downstream instead of wastegates at the turbo.

23. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

OK, I gotcha. Hmmmmm. Wondering what it would take to make it work on my particular application.

24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Maybe just put a turbo to it with a carb upstream or EFI. A bit dated though and might not even be serviceable as there are teflon seals inside that may be worn out by now and probably not made any more. I also may have figured out what your'e mystery part is by trying to find other images of the OPs deal on google, look up Impco Dual Fuel propane adapters. They piggyback propane units on carbs and use a similar 3 bolt pattern.

25. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

MCJim:

Try to keep that in one piece. That is an old turbo adapter with twin inlets. Impco made the two pressure regulating valves on it, but they may not have made the manifold. I never saw one like that from them, but that does not rule them out either.

Impco is still in business in southern CA. They have always specialized in propane carburetors and parts. Here s a description of the valves on that unit:

TC2 valve cross section

Impco raced a propane powered, turbocharged f250 pickup in off-road races for several years. That intake may have been part of that project.

Ragtop:

Your part IS an Impco part. That was their intake manifold for "dual fuel" conversions on engines with carburetors. A standard Impco gas mixer bolted to the flange on the one end, usually seen sitting inside a paper air cleaner element. They were fairly common after the second gas crunch - many people went dual fuel after the shortages.

B.