Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving a rod in the heat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stewedscrewdtattood, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

Summers get kinda brutal up your way, eh? :rolleyes:

2. garcoal

garcoal

my tbird isnt to bad , ford didnt scrimp on insulation on the roof and every where else. it just doesnt get real hot even on a 100 degree iowa day

3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I stopped for gas on the way home from the Rust Revival and it was a warm day so I had the cowl vent open. A mail carier lady in the next lane commented that I had the same kind of air conditioning as her mail truck.

Blue

4. HamD

HamD

5. Rat ROD MY ASS! IT'S A HOT ROD.
    I like this!!
    <!-- / sig -->

6. Any temp over 85 I start to get swamp ass and then my ass itches all day. I rather sit in car in the air conditioned garage and make vrooom vrooom sounds.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You gotta be kidding! This is the first summer in almost twenty without the Plym as my daily driver. It has A/C, (which by the way I've taken lots of crap for having...) the O/T Maverick doesn't. It was 111 yesterday, and that's just the begining around here! In another three weeks, it won't drop under a hundred or so around the clock until the last of September. I jumped in the Mav yesterday at 3:00 and headed out to the bearing shop about four miles away... No big deal! You aren't going to melt if you drive in the heat!

Oh, and just before I left my shop, when it was 111 outside, it was 118 in my shop!

8. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

108* yesterday...soon to get warm here in the desert. Drove the roadster and the Stude. Today it was cool..105*..went to a day car show then tonight another..
    Yeah..heat
    But it's a dry heave..

Still..as an old ex Chicago boy..

Give me Dry Heat..and no snow and cold..

No problem

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  9. Cymro

Cymro

h,mm it's liquid sunshine here guys.

10. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

[​IMG]

Something for you..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

11. 2002p51

2002p51

I love the heat, the hotter the better. The "natives" here in East TN get all wimpy and whiny when it gets above 75! It never really gets too hot for me to drive the roadster.

My O/T daily driver rag top has factory A/C that I've never used.

12. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

* bingo *

13. Sheep skin seat covers help quite a bit.
    Lower foot well vent helps.
    Vent or wing Windows help.
    A small 12 volt fan that works when the brakes are on helps when you are waiting on the stoplights and traffic.
    Interiors and insulation help.

Doooo all of those and you won't have anything to complain about.
    Any one alone will make a difference.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like it too hot better then too cold.

15. Rookie

Rookie
    from Austin

My 54 Chevy turns into a oven pretty fast in traffic.

16. mopar57

mopar57

Its gets hot sitting at a stop light but it is all worth it to just get out and cruise.I agree its better to be hot than cold anyday as I am from Chicago too.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They drove them when it was hot when they were new and the same could be in the salt in the winter too but I spent way too much money rebuilding it then what it cost new so no salt any more and plenty of hot weather cruising for me.

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You must have some pretty tall boots!

19. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Vintage Air, et al., do big business down here ... I'll never apologize for the a/c in all my vehicles ... and I hate to scrape the melted Chapstick off the inside of the glove box since a/c don't help when the car is parked in the 111 degree sun.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I went out this morning and it was 79*. I went for a nice run to the store and it was great. As I sit here now, it's 95* and humid. Heat index is 102*. So, I'll be inside until about 7pm.

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Damn hot down here most of the time in sunny Q'ld, apart from current winter chill. Good in my phaeton as long as you are moving with the factory air on (Cowl vent). Driest continent on earth. Up north the humidity is a killer, like Florida.

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i had my 59 apache out last summer before i tore it down. i had the interior stripped out, but a few friends came to look at the truck and wanted a ride. we went out and beat on it for 30 or 40 minutes, truck was runnin great despite the heat. bare metal floor in the 95 degree july heat, that bitch was hottttt. it was actually painful to be in it with sandals the floor was so hott. but again this was totally stripped with no carpet, insulation or undercoating

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We drove our T roadsters to St. Paul MN from Huntsville TX back in 1990. When we left Huntsville it was about 98* and reached well over 100* through OK, MO, KS, IA.
    With good caps, long sleeve shirts and long pants the heat is very tolerable. A little rain doesn't hurt either but not the massive storm we drove through for several hours back then. Here in Pasadena, near Houston, where I live the humidity makes the summer heat pretty oppressive but the sheer fun of driving an open wheeled roadster makes it all worth while.

24. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I really hate the heat any more. It takes it right out of ya. And when you work in the heat it sucks worse to get in a vehicle and drive home in traffic with no AC. Might as well walk. My ole truck didn't have AC in it and it was okay for the most part but man I do like the AC in my OT truck now. Man it is nice. If I didn't have to work in the heat I might not mind the heat but I'm tired of it. No wind, shade or rain makes for a long day.....Just think this morning I climbed out of an attic at ten o'clock and it was cooking hot. It was so blumming hot you could just about cook eggs. I didn't want to do anything after twelve. The heat just took it right out of me. I'd like to have a hot rod but man after days like this AC is nice.

25. I've been driving hot rods most of my adult life,,in extreme weather both cold and hot,,if you truly love your cars you just endure it or you add heat and air.

I was in the sedan today,,no upholstery and when I got home I was soaking wet and it wasn't from rain,,I still have a smile on my face. HRP

26. Was 113 yesterday here, and all I drive is my T truck unless I'm dragging my trailer to pick up a project.

27. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

thank god for my my cowl vent. burnin up!

28. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Four vent windows, front air flow vent & a big open interior.
    Thank you Cadillac.

29. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I just reach over and hit the AC switch. Why suffer?

30. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

It was in the mid-90's here yesterday> I drove my coupe to work and back ( 80 miles rt) . It was very hot but it ran good and with all the windows open and the vent windows scooping air at 70 MPH it wasn't too bad. Took the Focus today though ..it has AC