Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods At It Again or Just Wrong

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead terry, May 23, 2012.

1. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man drove the 32 to local car show and ran into the guy that bought a friend that passed aways willys truck . Started talking to the new owner and asking about the truck and what he changed . He told me had some left over parts so I ask what parts he had, a glass nose and some patches .Well I bought the nose thinking about some wall art and when it came in the door the 41 ford cab on the jig was a good place to store it but it looked close to a fit . Now I am cutting the body lines out relocating the door hinges and streching the doors . Heres some pics so far the chassis is going together at work straght axle nose high and butt down . May not be a 40 willys but close enough for fun .I think watching Kiwi Kev has took it's toll !!

Attached Files:

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, that works pretty good.

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Do it! I triple dog dare you to..

4. bbbronc

bbbronc

looks cool, go for it

5. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

That always gets me in trouble !! here we go this gonna be fun !! I have a 375 horse 327 and a super T10 a 2 -4 cross ram and a 9" with 456 gears the slicks and americans off the 32 may have it rolling this weekend its a long one !!

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

And you already have the perfect drivetrain for it!!

It was destined to be..

7. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Hey would it be a Fillis or a Word I know that ford built jeeps maybe someone will belive its a proto type prior to ww II .My brother just called and said I need to get back on the 33 Chevy he's gonna be pissed at me !!

8. bbbronc

bbbronc

not fillis .......... Fillys ;)

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you........are a mental case... looks good though

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Yea what you said !!

11. bbbronc

bbbronc

The sad part is (or good part depending on how you look at it) most people wouldn't know its not a willys

12. Badass Terry!
    Here's a neat one...

Attached Files:

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

14. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

My front on the old truck was a jail bar UGLY that 40 has a good looking front !!

15. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I moved it to a 46 frame shortened to 114 " wb and cut down a 46 chevy bed and model a rear fenders vise griped on .Chopped the top tonite pics tomorrow ! the craziness continues I also channeled it 4 "s

Attached Files:

16. bbbronc

bbbronc

17. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i have considered doing the same as well..just for that fact! :D

my dad had a real good friend when we used to live in so cal when i was younger with a lil red 40 willys pu (nicknamed STEAMROLLER) so being around roberts pu , i have always been in love with them and obviously its hard to find an original, but always thought of doing the same with a other make, but similar cab....

18. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

thats a damn neat truck.

19. Torchie

Torchie

Now you got me thinking evil thoughts.
    I've got a 41 frame that I am droping a nailhead into as well as a 41 Cab.
    I was thinking about using a car front end for kind of a Hudson pickup look,but i dig the willys front end.

20. henry29

henry29

I'd say it's a Willord,
    seems like some one on here built one similar about 5-6 years ago.

21. A hell of a lot of work, but looking good.

22. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Well guys I will post some more pics tonite I made a mistake we set the wheel base at 104 ''not 114" real short ! and as for alot of work moving the rear springs foward 9 1/2 " was the most work .The front end is all stock same brakes as a 40 car so I am just gonna rebuild the brakes and redrill the bolt pattern to 4 1/2 " the 9 inch came out of a 60 galaxy the pedals are gonna work . I have some old 55 chevy fenderwell headers and some 3 1/2 "slots they say for racing only on the back so I know they will make it faster !!

23. bbbronc

bbbronc

So the Wb in the last pics you posted is 104" or is it 10" shorter now than in the pics?

24. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a 1940 Ford Panel with a glass Willys nose - big diameter wheels, Mercedes headlights and funky grille are real ugly but you get the idea....

[​IMG]

25. Dirk35

Dirk35

I think you are going to have a really fun project there.

Looks like you are going to need to either flatten out the hood top, or peak the cowl to get them to mate up and look right.

26. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Bbbronc it's 104'' and I am reworking the cowl and body lines and moving the lower hindge up 4''s and it's gonna be a lot of fun !! thanks I will post some more pics soon !!

27. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Chopped now and rear frame horns cut off

Attached Files:

28. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have been thinking about doing something like this for a long time now. i have taken measurements for years, every time i saw a willys pickup, to see what was up. i was going to use a vw bug with a '50 chevy truck roof. i just haven't come across a willys front end cheap yet. i have the vw and the roof. the vw has a flat cowl. it is about 3 inches narrower in that area and a couple wider in the back. i got this idea from all the vw trucks i have seen. whats really odd is, i posted a thread on a vw site and they just couldn't get it. i even have a '46 ford cab and thought about it too. i guess it just goes to show you, there is nothing new under the sun and if you think you thought it up, wrong again. yours is going to be quite nice. it looks like you got a good handle on the project. there is a guy that races with us in the anra series that has a chevy cab with a willys front end. blown chevy motor too. goes like stink!!

29. bbbronc

bbbronc

Man, roll that thing out in the daylight so we can see it better