Register now to get rid of these ads!

Waaaay OT but this vid is cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, May 29, 2012.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hell, that's what I WAS thinking when I took my first drive!:D

2. Rob68

Rob68

VERY COOL. Are those pants part of the pilots uniform?

3. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

He's been standing behind the jetwash too long. :D

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Way kool Benno. The pants need to go though.
    B.B.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmm, had to go back and watch it a second time for the pants, I was too enthralled with the SR-71! All he needs now is an XB-70 to park next to it..............and hope like hell no one has a F-104 that will be flying at the same time.
    PS, Kelly Johnson is one of my all time heroes!!

Doc.

6. badshifter

badshifter

When my jets are on it, yeah! Nothing to scale it to in this pic but they are big. 6.5 wingspan, 30 lbs. thrust, easy 200 plus MPH. Thats my Viper, before lettering and stuff. That SR 71 is pretty slow, but awesome looking.

Attached Files:

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any links to video of your jets? Please (Recently learned what that word was and how to use it!!;))

Doc.

8. Pretty slick. I just wasn't aware that folks were doing jet propelled R/C planes. I am still pretty much in the dark ages when gas planes ran on nitro and were controlled by strings. I do remember the R/C crowd when they were first getting popular though.

Anyway pretty slick. I am down for videos as well.

9. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Just wondering if.....

Attached Files:

10. Man if you ejected from up at the edge of outer space you would have to hold your breath a long time. :D

11. pumpman

pumpman

Leave it to the freaking German's to figure out how to build that RC, it even has retractible landing gears. Amazing!

12. chubbie

chubbie

I saw a black bird land at Beal in '68... or did I????

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Waaaay too Coool. Hot rod? Hell, yes!!

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

15. Damn thats badass!!!

16. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

The Blackbird could supposedly fly at over 2000 MPH at the edge of the earths atmoshpere. It would leak fuel like a sieve on the ground, once it got up to altitude & speed thermal expansion sealed it up tight.

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

It was actually 64 minutes between LA and DC. That was the aircraft accepted into the Smithsonian. Also holds record between NY and London...1 hour, 54+ minutes in 1972. First OPERATIONAL flights-1968. DD

18. XXL__

XXL__

Such an amazing plane, perhaps Uncle Sam should put some scale versions like this to use as spy UAVs.

19. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Got to see one do a low level fly-by at Pt. Mugu airbase when I was a kid. That was a long time ago.

20. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Did y'all notice, at the very end of the video, there were a couple of guys standing around waiting to fly their prop plane? LOL, after seeing that thing (SR-71) take off and land, if I were one of those guys I would just pack it up and go home. That's like showing up to the quarter mile track all proud of your new turbocharged Mustang and an XJ220 pulls in behind you. Talk about stealing your thunder, huh?

Thanks for the video beaner! I wish I had talent like that. Or... ANY talent... come to think of it.

Oh, wait! I make a mean three alarm chili. I fold.

21. Cool. Imagine the work that goes into a turbine that tiny.....

22. that is just pure bitchin cool

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

German ingenuity!

24. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Wow! Very impressive! So....the status of security leaks on our most top secret technology has sunk to the point that folks in foreign countries make working scale models of it for shits and grins, huh? Not real comforting.....:D

25. XXL__

XXL__

Uh... the SR-71 has been largely declassified for a decade or more.

26. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

i got to see the cockpit of one when i was 13.

they are the ultimate hotrod of the air.

27. No you didn't you just imagined it. ;)

When they had them in mothballs you could actually go see them from what I recall. I am sure that the specialized photo equipment was not there.

MarkL,
    I have read that they were just one big fuel cell and that the leaked like a sieve as well. They only had enough fuel in them to take off then fueled in the air. Once they got up to speed the skin heated up and sealed itself up by expansion. My understanding is that they had to be engineered loose so that they would still function after thermal expansion set in.

The one that I didn't see at the air show was just sitting there drooling as I don't remember it.

Here is something that I don't understand. The Govt denied that it existed way up 'til the time they went into mothballs. How do you hold a record with something that you claim doesn't exist.:confused:

28. Mattbee

Mattbee

There is one on display at the Air Zoo in Kalamzoo, Mi. They also have on display one of the SR-71 engines. Nice museum with plenty to look at. Be sure to try out their flight simulators, room for two, a pilot and a gunner, fun stuff.

29. That is too cool. How do you get a jet engine for an r/c? How much does something like that cost?

30. GassersGarage

GassersGarage