Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pomona swap meet this weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wallyringo, May 30, 2012.

1. wallyringo

wallyringo

has anyone sold used parts at Pomona swap meet? is it a pain in the ass or worth it? i heard you must show up early saturday morning buy a spot and than show up at 3am to set up?

2. nek635

nek635

yes, you have to reserved and pay for the spot, then it's up to you how bad you want to make money,the earlier the better

3. You can reserve a space on their web site http://www.pomonaswapmeet.com/general-info.php
    Or you can line up early Saturday morning to buy one on site, they start selling them at 9:00 but there is usually a line.
    As for Sunday. You don't have to go at 3 in the morning, but I think you do have to be in before 6 (at least you used to)

4. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

you have to be in before 6 on Sunday. The line to get in is packed from 4:30-6 so it is easier to navigate the gate earlier.

As for spots, they normally sell out so I'd call to see if you can do it either over the phone or online.

5. If you plan to sell and get there after 5am, you'll be selling American hot rod parts in the Volkswagen section, and you won't sell hardly anything. That happened to me once.

The hot ticket is to get there on Saturday afternoon and set up. Then, walk the swap meet and buy stuff as guys are putting it out for display. Trust me, Saturday is when the REAL deals happen. Guys walk around all night on Saturday armed with flashlights buying stuff. I used to sell nearly half my stuff on Saturday. It was a lot of fun.

I quit going a while back because it seemed like every time, the cost to park went up and the admission went up. You're out $20 before you even walk into the place. I think I might go this time, though. There's some stuff I need to look for for my '64.

Here's a tip: Start from the back fence and work your way back to the entry gate. The guys in the back are regular guys who cleaned out their garage and aren't looking to make a killing on every part. The guys in the front are the pros who don't care if they bring the same over-priced part back every time.

6. $8.00 a person to get in. $10.00 a car to park, so split it with some buddies if you're going to buy - got no friends? It costs you more :D

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I was there this past March (been going off and on since 79) and it was so jam packed with people, I had a hard time focusing on what was for sale because I had to pay attention to avoid crashing into someone. And I hardly saw any buying going on. And almost 20 bucks to get in. I will head out to Long Beach next time. Forget Pomona.

8. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Pomona sucks/blows.. Sell your stuff online and enjoy sunday morning at home working on the house

9. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

$25 at the back gate for older cars (pre 74?) and includes driver and passenger. Do the math. It's a dollar cheaper ( if 2 of you go) and you have less distance to carry parts, have chairs and ice chest handy.

10. roughneck424

roughneck424

I was there too. I guess I'm getting old for the car prices seemed way high. I would be suprised if anything sold.
    I did see the Wow Factor guy from Storage Wars he was on his way in as I was walking out.

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I missed that. And Storage Wars is one of my favorite shows.

12. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

go to long beach

13. Ford trucks

Ford trucks

ill be there and if anyone needs f100 parts pm me and ill bring them

14. wallyringo

wallyringo

thanks for the help, i think i`ll look into Long Beach instead, get a few more $2- bills for my kids.

15. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I see a completly different view of the two events.

Pomona - people come from miles and hours away - AZ, NV, Nor Cal. To shop at this one. March was packed. You couldn't even get two lines of cars down the main asle.

Long Beach - walkers. That's it. The last couple of them have been bad from a sellers point of view.

16. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

if you plan on getting there to sell on sunday you need to get there saturday morning, i go every few month and always make a killing, spots are getting harder to come by
    i think saturday is funner than sunday i try to set up by noon, you'll always start selling right away. i always sell for a couple of hours, cover up my stuff and spend a couple hours shopping. much of what i buy on saturday i sell on sunday or bring back the next show.
    this time around i'll be selling a ton of model A truck parts. it's going to be hot so i plan on bringing a bunch of beer and my BBQ...

17. nek635

nek635

it was a good turn out, lot of people showed