Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who drives a “stock” car and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I Drag, May 23, 2012.

1. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Stock SUCKS!!!!

Any questions?????

Viva

2. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Stock cars are nice but you can get caught up in that restorer vibe and thats not where i'm at.

Take that stock car, spend £500 lowering it nicely. Few nice subtle easy mods and you have the sort of car i've always driven. Mild Kustom/Bombed cruiser, christ knows what you call it but a stock(ish) car can be fun if done right.

3. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

As was so eloquently stated by Vetteman61, its' a link to the past. Pretty much a stock '46 other than the '53 235 (still a babbitt inliner). It has a top speed of about 50 mph, but is a blast to drive. I want a hot rod or custom at some point but doubt I will change any thing else on this.

Attached Files:

4. The guy at the parts store told me to switch to 12 volt yesterday when I wanted him to get me a 6 volt voltage regulator. He said I can put all the 6v stuff in a box and switch it out when I stop driving it everyday.

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Rickybop....you read my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I bought this 64 Belair 230/powerglide last year. It was bought new at Newt Godfrey Chevrolet in San Antonio Texas by a Mrs. Butler. She was given $500 for her 55 Pontiac trade. It just turned 42k. It has an oil change sticker in the door jam from 1985 that says 29k. It has the original spare in the trunk. I'm 40 years old and have "fucked" with cars since I was 9. I can't and won't "fuck" with this car.

Attached Files:

7. Stock only till I get it home then it's either up up or down

8. Paint

Paint

My father worked for Hudson Motors in the 40's and 50"s and drove a 37 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup to work every day, ( he later had a Hudson pickup).
    After I finished my 37 coupe I bought this 37 pickup in 1985 to restore and give to my father. Unforunately he passed away before it was finished so after sitting half finished for about 5 years I finished it.
    My father actually rebuilt the engine, trans and rearend not knowing that I was going to give the truck to him.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
  9. That truck is beautiful!

10. You young whipper-snappers:eek:

Enjoying the best of both worlds.

[​IMG]

11. agree 100%

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wont own a nice original car 'cause I'd just modify it. Never had one yet that I didn't try to mess with and try to improve it! :)

13. I choose cars that are inherently good looking to begin with.....like good bone structure on a gal. Possibly some mild customization, suspension updates and AC. I like to drive mine with wife & friends a lot.
    Chuck

14. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

I already have a modified F1. The Plymouth is going to stay stock. 6v, engine, tranny..... Rust has it too far gone. But it all works. Leave the pantina finish, throw a surfboard in the back and drive it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. The trick is to not get caught up in that restorer vibe.

Those dudes get caught up, not in the love of the car, but the love of perfection, order and stacking themselves up against a set of rules.

It's weird in my book...but then, nobody ever buys my book...or even gives a shit about it.

I adore traditional hotrods but also have a soft spot in my heart for well preserved, utilitarian trucks and base model cars....you know, the stuff that 90% of Americans drove back in the day.

I miss my bone stock, low mileage 66 F100 and am going to buy it back one day if the current owner doesn't screw it up and do a frame-off restoration on it.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"You kids need to leave those cars alone! You're messing 'em up! And get off my damn lawn!!!"

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like some traditional hot rodders.:D

18. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

i like to "not rod" its my idiotic term for what i do or dont do to cars. i like my cars to look superb but i dont give a rats ass about horsepower.

19. Rolf

Rolf

Driving a stock vintage car is good for your head. Nursing a '58 Impala down a two lane black top and not stressing is pure therapy and it will lower your heart rate. Yeah, the steering is sloppy, the brakes sux but who cares? Just plan for it!

It is time travel at it's best. Nothing wrong with upgrades but I feel it is a direct connection to the past.

20. You've got a good point there.

When I was driving my 66 to work everyday in north Houston rush-hour traffic, I had to mentally slow myself down. I couldn't do the typical Houston rush-hour dogfight that goes on....the truck just wouldn't physically do it.

It was utterly peaceful. I loved it.

Now, my company car is a brand new Avalon. It's a hell of a nice car and there's obviously a ton to love about it, but I find myself getting sucked back into that Houston traffic dogfight mode....wishing for my old stocker 66 again.

21. 327Eric

327Eric

I hit the same point, and am now craving a more stock look for my 59 ElCamino. I am searching for some dog dish caps, although I'll probably end up with Impala caps, as they are cheaper. Go figure. Though I do like the 427 under the hood, and like the "sleeper" part. It was a pile of rust when I got it, and the original 348 was long gone, so all stock will never happen.

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

got one stock and one not but like them both. you gotta do what pleases you.

23. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

amen brother

24. Earlier this year I bought a low-mile '61 Falcon Deluxe 4dr. Well-optioned; Deluxe trim, electric wipers, heater, 170 cid and Ford-O-Matic. Almost exactly what I would have done if I was alive then, and knew what I know now. Prolly would have gone stick, but that's all.

So, it's a super little car, meets all my needs and I am only adding a few little touches for now, though I might put a tri-power and some chrome under the hood. Maybe lower the front ala Shelby, and possibly 14's, but just for the better choice in rubber, if.

But for now, it's dead-nuts reliable, looks right nice, and hauls my bacon where it needs to get hauled.

Stock ain't bad, as long as it doesn't have the key on the column, or a computer in the loom...

Cosmo

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I got this as a stocker with a 283 and a 3 speed. I like the stock look but added a 500 hp 454, Richmond 6 speed, disc brakes, 3:42 posi and hotchkis suspension.
    DSC00043.jpg DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00041.jpg DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg