Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Ford cars becames so popular!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratamahata, May 29, 2012.

1. Can you explain how these cars became so popular?

Do not think it's a short story and not too long to tell ...

Something is hiding behind those four letters?

Why?, I wonder Ford cars became so popular in the hot rodding...

Why?, if there were so many other brands at that time...

Why, if I look in The Hamb I see there, many times your name on it...

2. Because they made so many of them and they had more metal in them than any other car. Back in the beginnings, the wood framed cars would fall apart with all the rough roads and then the war came and all those cars that were falling apart got melted down. If the other car manufacturers had as much metal and produced as many, they would be popuar also. Have you ever tried replacing all the wood with metal? Ask me how much of a pain it is as my Whippet was probably the most wood filled car of them all. Still a cool car but it's alot of work just to get solid enough to match a Ford without all the steps that I had to do.

3. fordor41

fordor41

They were cheap to buy used as they were fairly cheap to buy new and there were a LOT of them to buy.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

For me its all about the way they look.

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

3 things in my view.

1 they were cheap.

2 lots of them

3 Ford didn't get his knickers in a knot if someone used the ford name, that was good PR for him too (unlike GM and others).

6. WILL's_50_SHU

WILL's_50_SHU

Cuz fords are the shit and everyone has a Chevy .... I like Chevys but am ford guy and if I ever get a Chevy am have a ford motor In it haha lol....

7. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Fords became popular because of the beautiful bodies and the Flathead V8!

8. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

What most don't remember is that Ford being cheap, lots of parts interchanged thru the years,if not dirrectly, then with little modification.

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Well Duhh...First On Race Day:D

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Fords popular? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Ford introduced the V8 in 1932, prior to that time, V8's were only available in high priced cars. Parts were very easy to come by as well as the issue with wood. I have seen Chevrolets in fields that were just rusty sheetmetal laying on the ground after the wood rotted.

12. Pretty simple really, they just look so bloody good, they are plentyful and of course most importantly they are Ford!!:cool:

13. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

The V8 in 32. There were a ton of them out there.
    The T was abundant.
    The chevy's got eaten by termites.

14. litherlandhans

litherlandhans
    from london

its all about the way they look.[​IMG]

15. Looks alone ??? Really ???
    All1931 raw materials and all a different manufacturer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fords were the cheapest, smallest, strongest, lightest and most plentiful. That means hot rod material for fords were everywhere. All most all of the parts swap or can be modified to to do so no matter the body styles.

16. For 1935, Ford had sold 15 million Model T, a total of nearly 5 million Model A
    and a few model B compared to the previous ones, including the first V8, we are talking about the model 18 ...

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because everything else was melted down and made into MK82s for the Brittish visit to the Falklands in 82'.

Doc.

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Henry Ford is known for inventing the production line, raising the pay of his workers, and lowering the prices of his cars. The others thought he was crazy. Crazy like a fox.

It wasn't about cars as much as it was about dominating an entire industry. He took the long view instead of being concerned with the next quarterly profits.

19. they were cheap.
    they were for sale everywhere, because they were cheap.
    and rumor has it, they were cheap.

20. Numbers, looks, and back in the day, price and the flatty.

21. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

I got mine just because 1) I like Ford, my other car is a 2004 Ford Ranger, and I had a T-bird and Mustang before that. 2) The price was right, I got my 50' Ford for $1000 and 3) They're just damn sexy.

22. Two words...1-cheap and 2- wood

23. From a practical standpoint, I helped restore two 30's cars, a 31 Ford Cabriolet, and a 32 Chevy coupe. This was in the early-mid 60's.
    The Ford was a much easier project, parts were there, and the body itself was much sturdier.
    The Chevy body seemed much flimsier, and it's my belief that made the fords more popular.
    It seemed that no one wanted to hot rod the "other" brands, and that could have possibly doomed them to the salvage yards.

24. rld14

rld14

Fords have been hot rodded since the beginning, they were the first to mass produce a V8, and a V8 that was simple, EVERYWHERE, cheap to fix and cheap to tune.

This meant that the enthusiasts of the day gravitated toward Ford products, so they got a following, one which continues today.

And, as others have said, these early V8 cars and model As had sturdier bodies than the competition, which meant that during the golden age of hot rods a Model A or a Deuce was likely to be in much more solid condition than a comparable Chevy or Dodge.

Then you have the Shoebox cars and 49-51 Mercury cars which made kickass Kustoms....

It's not that Ford necessarily dominated sales when the cars were new, it's that they dominated a huge part of this hobby.

25. metal man

metal man

Ding,ding,ding! Correct answer!

26. I have a beautiful body and a flat head and I am not popular, what gives?:(

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Clyde Barrow liked em.

28. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

While many have hit on most of the essential reasons, only one alluded to one of Ford's strongest points: They were tough-you could beat on them and they wouldn't come apart like most of their competitors. This was especially true of the V-8s with their full pressure insert bearing crank (the full floater bearings added yet another measure of durability.) Tough, light weight, powerful/fast, plentiful, inexpensive. The wood framing in the bodies wasn't a real issue until long after the Ford's popularity was firmly established. That became an issue in the '50/'60s when guys discovered the G.M. bodies in the salvage yards had collapsed. By then "Hot Rod" was spelled F-O-R-D.

29. Garage X

Garage X
    from Dallas! TX

Mercs and Shoeboxes set the hook in me so deep as little kid, I will always love the look..