Register now to get rid of these ads!

window adjusting...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54Mercruiser, May 25, 2012.

1. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Alright, I am proud of myself, installed the door glass in the 57 today, now I need some help. It's all in correct, but it will not roll all the way up. I was able to take it from about a 2" gap to about a 1/2" gap by taking it apart again, but that's where she stuck.

Oh yeah, it's a 300 sedan and not a hardtop, don't know if that makes any difference.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Jeff

2. Was the new glass cut correct height? The sedans that I have worked on did not have glass stops. I did run a screw in to far once and it hit the regulator causing this type problem. Does the slide that mounts to the door that one leg of the regulator runs in have adjustments? Picture?

3. Clevername

Clevername

I have the same problem with a 60 Chevy drivers door. I can make it go all the way up, but only if I open the door and give a little pull. I am sure I just need to adjust it some, but I have been through it three times and I am losing enthusiasm for tackling it again.

Is it binding, or will it physically just not go up all the way?

4. Sounds like a third arm adjustment or the bottom channel is mounted in the wrong position

5. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Clever..no it just stops, like it ran into something hard..lol

325W..yes, the glass is correct, I checked it against the passenger side and the original was broken but intact (thank you window tint..lol) and I mounted the channel just like the original

Noname...what would be considered the "third arm"? I know there are a pair of arms that basically plug into the rollers, and what I'm guessing is the 3rd arm coming from the regulator.

Also, the passenger window doesn't roll all the way down, and it hasn't been touched yet but is going to be replaced soon. When I say all the way down, I mean it doesn't go below the door's frame, it stays up about an inch, basically the exact opposite of the drivers door.

Thanks ya'll!!

6. On the driver side will the glass go below the opening the 1/2" or more you need at the top? The 3rd arm is the lower leg of the forward roller arm on the glass channel. It mounts in a channel on the inner door panel and is adjustable up and down as well as forward and back.
    The Wizzard

7. Odd thing. Looking at the factory service manual it shows the channel adjustabol. Looking at a 500 HT door it is welded in. However there is a solid stop for both up and down that is adjustabol and may be your issue. Sorry if I sent you in the wrong direction, good luck. I'll shut up now.
    The Wizzard

8. mrcob

mrcob

Anyone ever figure out how to solve this problem? I'm working on the same issue on my 60 Impala.

9. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Are you 100% its the same size and shape glass?? It almost sounds like the glass is not deep enough (height), your hitting the regulator stop, leaving a gap.

I've seen it done the other way (too deep) and the glass fits the door but hasn't hit the stops and break real soon from over winding them. If it was this it's easier to deal with as you can adjust the stops in many cases if not too way off. If the doorglass is not deep enough you have to get new glass.

Double check the depth of the glass and the shape, especially radius's. If that doesn't show anything start again, leaving play in places so you can adjust as you need.

As mentioned it may just be you have replaced some screws and the longer screw is sticking through into the door and catching one of the arms or mechanism.

If you haven't already done it give the whole winding mech and good clean down and grease it back up. I also use a little Castrol rubber grease, red stuff, to lube the down channels the glass runs in wether it be rubber or felt. Not alot, just a lite smear. Usually this will really smooth out a sticky or jumpy doorglass .

Good luck:cool:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012