Register now to get rid of these ads!

YES SIR May I have another.....The May 2012 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, May 1, 2012.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Flash babbitt steel backed main bearings is one reason. Full pressure oil to rods and mains another. The deep block secure location of the main caps a third. The first car in the Hop Up Magazine 100mph club was PB powered

Attached Files:

2. That is a nice looking engine. My friend has a stock 29 Plymouth with a 4 Banger. I think it is 174 cubic inch engine. The car is a two door sedan and is heavy. My stock model "A" seems to have a lot more horsepower.

I like working on his Plymouth. It has a vacuum canister fuel pump that works off the engine oil pump. The gas tank looks like a 32 Ford. It took a while to get the vacuum fuel pump to work. He bought a bunch of them. They were pretty rusty but with combination of all of them we got one that works. He has built, sold and bought a lot of high dollar cars and I think he has enjoyed this one the most. It is something he can work on . No computers, fractional size bolts and nuts, and just plain good engineering makes it a joy.

3. Oh, great ! Now you tell me ...lol
    Ron

Attached Files:

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would have had my Plymouth running two or three times for the time and $$$ I have put in the Dodge Bros. But I really, really thought the Morton & Brett head needed to be out and running where people could see it.

5. Kume

Kume

Model A or B motor into a standard T chassis

I apologize for interrupting but this is my first Banger thread post and despite relentless key word searching I have found little info on this topic. I figure if anybody can answer my questions it is the incredible knowledge base on this thread.

Is this feasible or too much work. I have a standard 26 roadster and want to ditch the crazy T donkey for either an A or B motor and box. Last resort is to graft an A chassis but am trying to build a trad gowjob based on T bones. I suspect there are threads on this topic that I haven't been able to find.

Would the main problem be clutch and brake pedal location and mechanical brake linkages.

Can any one steer me to relevant threads or interweb sites. I would be very grateful for any guidance.

Kume

6. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

7. I did start this years ago but abandoned using the T chassis. Made it worse for myself by using RHD running gear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was trying to keep the crankline in the same place on a full fendered tourer.

Here's a couple of pictures someone sent me of an install they did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Kume,

You could use the front mount from a '34 pick-up and fab something like a float-a-motor side mounts. An other option would be to fab a T type mount to "hang" the motor from the top of the rail.

The clutch pedal will need to be reshaped a bit to clear the frame rail.

On my '21 on a narrowed A frame, this is how I set up the mech. brakes;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I simply shortened each side of the bellcrank and added 1/4" plates and gussets.

Ron

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

HAMBster GARY? has an A-engined, T-framed gow.

[​IMG]

And -Brent- has a similar setup with his A-engined, TT-framed roadster.

[​IMG]

10. Kume

Kume

11. Kume

Kume

Thanks Monkey Biker

That looks like a snug fit - is that the stock front cross member you have mounted the front engine mount to? why did the RHD make it more difficult.??

Kume

12. Kume

Kume

Thanks Ron

Thats encouraging - I thought about the rear engine mounts hung off the rails like a T - seems like the simplest solution. Brakes dont seem to be too much of an issue.

Kume

13. Kume

Kume

Thanks BigCheese

Gary's roadster is one of my all time favorites - looks like he has front brakes so assume A axle?. Not familiar with the bottom T but love the exposed mechanical brake rods. There is no stopping me know!

14. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Mind if I add mine to the lot?

[​IMG]

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Was there an April Banger meet? I've been out of town and trying to update the Tech links - got March & May, but no Apr with a quick search.....

16. 97

17. Kume

Kume

After a day spent trawling the HAMB following leads from above I think I have found everything I need. I new it would all be in here somewhere.
    Thanks to great info and build threads for Brent, Gary and Youngster's A/Ts - absolutely inspirational stuff.
    cheers
    Kume

18. I was looking at mounting a second crossmember to pick up the A front engine mount. There's the snout of a T sump mounted to the original front crossmember to help line things up.

The body has eventually made it's way onto this my "1927 Mercury" as christened by Mr. Big Cheese...

[​IMG]

After messing around porting a B engine that turned out to be cracked I've been offered a hot diamond A engine which if funds allow will find it's way in there.

19. Anyone know what kind of psi the "B" fuel pump puts out ?
    Ron

20. A little slow this morning, I found it 1 1/2 to 3 psi.
    Ron

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Ah, you liked that, did you? :)

Such a great-looking car!

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Ron please get a gauge..... vacuum/pressure

Your gonna need a Vacuum Gauge to adjust those carbs

23. Thanks Jim, will do..
    Ron

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

25. Kume

Kume

["I was looking at mounting a second crossmember to pick up the A front engine mount. There's the snout of a T sump mounted to the original front crossmember to help line things up."]

Thanks Monkey

It now makes sense. Riveting a second cross member in seems a good option for me. allows some flexibility in working out rear axle and torque tube position.

By the way - love your flathead T - there is something incongruous about seeing a bright shiny yellow or red Ford hotrod in the English landscape but your T fits in like some kind of renegade medieval knight. love it!
    Kume

26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Check out the coverage of the Speedster Reunion in the August issue of R&C.

27. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

28. Jim; This is a great link even for the realativly simple banger motors. I feel smarter already ;). Well, maybe not smarter but I feel that I'm on the right track thanks to you. Really looking forward to knowing rather than guessing :)
    Thanks Jim !

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327