Register now to get rid of these ads!

New from Chicago suburbs

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by dtrain, May 22, 2012.

1. dtrain

dtrain
    from Illinois

When I say new, I really mean new. To the point where I probably don't even belong here as I have extremely limited mechanical skills, most advanced thing for me was changing head gaskets on my car in college, and growing up my dad wasn't into cars or anything so I didn't have anyone to learn from. I'm greener than green, but I guess everyone starts somewhere and I'm just starting later than most.

I'm 36 and the dad of two boys, who I do want to grow up being involved in working on cars and learning those skills. I'm a desk jockey computer nerd by profession and get out riding the two wheeler every chance I get. But the time has come for me to scratch the 20 year itch of having a car that I love. I've always been attracted to the look and throaty roar of muscle cars (show car quality) but that doesn't really fit my style for what I want to own, as I don't want a something I'm afraid to have the kids breathe on.

I'm drawn to the early 50's Buick, Chevy, and Ford style. While I like the p/u options, I am leaning towards something like a '50 Ford with the thought of piling the wife and kids in there with me. Due to my lack of skills at this point, I've been searching for something that can be a regular driver while I learn as I know a full on project would be too much to handle at this point.

I've likely said more than anyone really cares to know, but I'm excited to be here and be on the hunt for my first ride (I think I found it and going to look at it this weekend hopefully in northern Ohio from a fellow member).

Thanks to all of you for all of the sharing that you do, I look forward to growing my knowledge and being a part of the community.

2. Good luck on your search and
    welcome from Michigan.

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Welcome from Oregon!

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Welcome. South Suburbs. Stu

p.s. Maybe try Chuck's for HAMB & Eggs breakfast any Saturday 7:00 a.m.

5. Welcome from Susan & Larry in the MO. ;)zarks

6. Model T1

Model T1

Welcome from an ex-central Illinois dude. I'm older than dirt but still learnin. Still don't know how I got into cars. Dad didn't drive and mom didn't know how to check the oil. Just something you like or don't. Get the kids interested as you learn.
    My advice is buy a 49-51 Ford, or maybe a 55-57 Chevy to begin with in as decent shape as you can find. These and a few others are fairly easy to work on and parts are available many places. 50's Buicks, Chevys, are great to play with.

7. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

8. dtrain

dtrain
    from Illinois

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I'm in the far western suburbs, but tell me more about this HAMB & Eggs as that sounds up my alley.

Thanks for the advice Denny. That is right inline with what I've been looking at and plan to be visiting a 1950 Ford this weekend. If all goes well there I will be starting my education in no time - and then you guys will get sick of all my questions! :D

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

10. dtrain

dtrain
    from Illinois

Dang, 68 pages of posts to catch up on in that thread! Thanks for the link and I will definitely let you know when I'm ready to meet up with you guys (and hope you guys won't be too hard on a complete newb).

11. Plumb

Plumb
    from Dundee, IL

Welcome from West Dundee. I'm currently working on a 50 Ford for my son. Hope to see you around.

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.

13. cmarcus

cmarcus

Wow! Realizing one of the reasons I joined the forum! All the locals come out of the woodwork! I will have to make it out for breakfast some Saturday as well! See you guys out there!

14. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Not any worse than the group is on each other! Seriously, great group of guys, everyone welcome. Where ya at in the burbs? Great food too.

15. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Welcome from Oklahoma. "Come, you have, to the right place to gather knowledge and wisdom of the automobile, Grasshopper" There are some really fine folks here that will help you with your journey. Buy the nicest ride you can afford and make it yours from there. Start out with doing the basics first: running, stopping safely and then cosmetics. Good luck and involve the family in your build.

16. dtrain

dtrain
    from Illinois

Thanks Plumb, you're not too far from me and once I get into my car I might have to bend your ear on experience with the 50 Ford!

Hope to run into you there Charlie. I love how this forum is full of so many helpful people, and that they get together at local spots too.

Ha, that sounds like a great group. I'm in Oswego, which is out west of Naperville and Aurora.

Great feedback and that is exactly the approach I have been taking as I have been on the hunt for a car. And involving my family in the build is a big part of my interest in getting a car, as I will be sure to include my boys (and my wife if she is interested beyond cruising / driving) as much as they want, but careful not to force it on them. It is something I wish I had had with my dad and want to give them that choice if they want it.

17. StayGold54

StayGold54

Welcome from So Cal! Good luck on your hunt!

18. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Oswego, my wife grew up there, house right across the street from the old schoolhouse, now the museum. See ya at HAMB and Eggs soon.

19. dtrain

dtrain
    from Illinois

Small world. She might have known one of my neighbors who was born and raised in Oswego.