Register now to get rid of these ads!

Narrowing an i-beam???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blacktopicasso, May 19, 2012.

1. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I just picked up at a swap meet a nice complete 56 Ford truck axle assembly including the steering box/column. Price was way right but I had no tape measure when I purchased it. My problem, it was going into my 31 Plymouth highboy coupe project and the axle is to wide for my 31 Plymouth, about 6 inches. Can the axle be cut and narrowed safely, if welded by a professional. Or would I be better off trying to finding a narrower bare axle and swap all the brake stuff.:confused:

2. willymakeit

willymakeit

I would be very careful with it and who is doing the work.
    I have a quasi friend,who is a retire railroad machinist who told me he has done this before.
    I would talk to Sid who works on a lot of axles.
    I don't think it would be cheap in the long run. Just my opinion.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

don't...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Drive Em

Drive Em

No problem if done properly. I have done lots of them.

5. 117harv

117harv

Yes, no problem if done correctly, but i wouldn't do it. If you want to go paralell leafs run an early Dodge wavy tube axle out in front of that Plymouth.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

It can be done You cut down half waay and then go across a little then back down .Repeat the opposite way weld and then put a fish plate inside or behind and weld.............

7. Sid told me he does not weld on axles.

Forged axles can be narrowed. A lot of gasser axles were cut and narrowed and held up to the beating that came with repeated wheelies.

The job needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

ElPolacko's dad Len1/2ast used to drive the hell out of a GMC302 powered '38 Chevy that had a narrowed I beam axle. Never had a problem with it. That said, yes I would be extra super carefull the welder was up to the task.

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I narrowed the econoline axle in my RPU. Pick a place closer to the center, less force there.
    Think about the abuse and modifications people have done to the earlier axles over the years and they aren't near as heavy. If you can make one of those old axles into swiss cheese, then I wouldn't worry too much about a properly laid out butt weld.

10. TinShed

TinShed

I have done it but I boxed the axle after welding. Did not look as cool but never thought of it again and the car is still on the road today.

11. My '31 Plymouth has a '51 Chevy pu axle under it which was narrowed 6". It was stick welded by a guy who new what he was doing....
    Been under the car for 25 years and many thousand miles.

Post up some pics of your Plymouth project!

12. PinHead

PinHead

This question gets asked a lot around here and always seems to cause an argument.

Assuming the axle is forged and not cast, there's no reason you can't weld on it, but the procedure and filler metal is critical. If you can find a guy who knows what he's doing, then you'll be fine, but it may cost you the same as buying the right axle that will fit.

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

I narrowed an Econoline axle for my T roadster. Prepared the joint by cutting the flanges back on one end, and the web away on the other end, and slipping the extended web between the flanges. That eliminated having a weld go through the axle in one vertical plane. Preheated, welded with 7018, and used controlled slow weld cool down. No issues.

Bob

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^THIS^^^

This will not be an inexpensive endeavor, nor is it even remotely a place you should be even thinking of entertaining a thought of saving money.

It can be done, but why? Jut by a better fitting axle. An early Dodge wavy tube axle can be had for next-to-nothing (or nothing). I gave one to our scrapper, 'cause I could not get rid of it otherwise.

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

If you have a good qualified welder then there is no problem in doing that at all . Remember I said GOOD QUALIFIED WELDER !
    I have a straight axel from a 50's Ford truck and is very thick unlike an Econoline is . I am building a gasser with a Ford 429 under the hood ! The welder doing mine told me no problem . He will cut it in the middle . Then he will weld a nice looking plate on it for security . It will not break and I will trust it everytime the wheels come back down on the ground hard too !
    Like I said before you have to know what you are doing and be a good qualified welder to do this kind of welding ! If the welder you asks says NO or hesitates , then walk away and find one that will tell you he can do it no problem right away . A good welder knows what he or she is qualified for welding so you need to find the correct welder to do the job you need done .

Retro Jim

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Add to the above....a good, currently certified welder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my 2c,... 4TTRUK

17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER