Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My barn find! 1950 Ford sees first daylight since 1968.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, May 18, 2012.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

2. Great find,I sure would like to know what kept the rodents out of the inside.

3. davidh73750

davidh73750

Happy for you! All of us should get 1 or 2 of those in a lifetime. I'm in on "keep it the way it is just get her running and mild lowering" too.

4. ratt7

ratt7

What a great find !! Wow !!!

5. Damn, that is kool!

6. its amazing how many old cars are still out there, and that car is in awesome shape

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool deal and a great job of documenting the find for us!! We love this shit! Sure did clean up good already. You did look up in the rafters didn't ya? :D Lippy

8. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Wow. I wasnt sure how itd look after seeing the setup but wow! Great find.

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Thanks guys! Going to spend a little time on the flathead tonight, got it turning pretty good, I seem to be on my last cylinder, nearly at top dead. Rest of the way it's turning over really well and smooth. I think when I oiled the cyls that must have had an open valve so the it may have gotten no real amount of trans fluid. I'd imagine with relatively low mileage this isn't that siezed up, and it appears not to be.

Well, I know what I picture. But this car my first reaction was "oh man, should I really cut this thing up?" I thought about getting it running/driving, put some new brakes and period blackwall Firestones on it and ebaying it to get a solid body so I wouldn't feel bad about cutting up an original. But I am just really attached to this car, the whole story, how I found it...my rational side says it's only steel, but if it was I wouldn't have wanted to name it or keep that horse shoe...those things just aren't "usual" me. So...

I am thinking about carefully removing the interior and trying to sell it whole. Someone restoring a car would love to have this, and what I want is white and black tuck and roll. A friend is selling an entire interior for a shoebox just like that, so everyone wins.

Body plans (how I've seen this car years before I found it)

Frenched stock headlight rings. Probably stock tail lights with Lee lenses not frenched. Stock side trim. Shaved/nosed/decked. Lowered as low as I can get it while it still rides well and safe. Skirts, the cut down 51 Merc ones. I think stock grill just rechromed, stock bumpers but no guards, maybe a Chevy or Kaiser guard in the rear. And 4 1/2" straight post chop with the rear window laid down nice. Maroon non metallic paint, aforementioned interior, Appleton 112s and '52 Olds hubcaps with a center bullet over the medallion and 6.70x15 Firestone or Silvertown tires. That's pretty much what I dream of with my "perfect shoebox". That's what I hope to do with this.

10. this one is a keeper! the mods sound cool but after it fires up your gonna be torn on if you should change anything!

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

what a time capsule that s a cool score , hope you can unstick the engine

12. FleetWadd

FleetWadd
    from Sharon, Ok

Great story!! Congrats on the find!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I must have been a restorer in some previous life. I hate seeing nice stockers getting cut up. whatever interior you put in will never be as cool as that one.:(

I'm the kind of guy that if I saw that one parked next to the one built with all your good ideas at a show I'd check the original out first.

14. I hate to be that guy, but parting out and cutting that car up would be a shame. I bet with a lot of elbow grease (and some rubbing compound) that paint would shine right up. Therer are TONS of shitty ol shoe box's out there to cut up, why do it to a nice survivor?

15. Model T1

Model T1

Great find and nice pictorial story. It ain't even mine and I'm torn between your custom plans and keeping it stock. Hard decition with a car like that. I suppose it all depends in what's under it and how clean the running gear/frame are.
    I believe we've all missed garage finds just by not thinking a car was for sale. Good luck with the car and your good luck horse shoe.
    I remember those old seat covers at Western Auto.

16. dmikulec

dmikulec

That's cool as hell. Congrats on the score!!! :cool:

17. Pingar

Pingar

Awesome find.

18. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I second that motion^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great find, congratulations!

19. bbbronc

bbbronc

I tend to fall into this category as well. You can take all the advice you want, but ultimatly its your car your decision. That being said if you do decide to do the custom mods make sure its something special when your done

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hope ya don't mind but I'm saving the pics and using the for reference when I put mine back together.

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

Wow!!! that is very nice!

22. It is soul-soothing to just see this original shoebox. Savor every piece and part - I know you will. Thanks for documenting the recovery.

23. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Tough crowd here anymore. You save a piece of tin from a barn, desire to make a period perfect custom out of it, post it on the website that "spreads the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs", and the guys, who hate rat rods tell you to leave it as is with stock interior, wasted inner and outer rockers, and wasted lower fenders and quarters, painted in surface rust and crappy old paint...like a rat rod. Sheesh! ;)

It's going to get chopped up, but it needs a ton of rot repair first, and that flathead refuses to give in. Letting it soak overnight and if I have any time tomorrow I'll try to bring it all the way back home. It turns like 358 degrees. Frustrating!

I mean...if this flathead won't turn, I am putting a tuned port SBC in here! ;) Just kiddin'

I'm cool with the concern, and I'm just having some fun with you guys, but I assure you it's not something that would buff out and there is more rot than I pictured...I just didn't take pics of that cause that's the easy stuff. Being stuck with an incomplete dash, wasted glass and stainless, junk bumpers, and a cracked jacked up steering wheel and crests is what really signifies a winner to me. So when this stuff cleaned up like it did, I went bananas.

24. Roger53

Roger53

Very nice find me I'm still looking for that barn find or field find or woods find .HAVE FUN !

25. Rob68

Rob68

Excellent find. Have fun with it!!!!

26. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

That's my opinion as well, but he bought and paid for it, he can cut it up if he wants to.

It's getting to, or has in some cases, the point where we can't do what we want with our bought and paid for real estate never mind cars.

27. sololobo

sololobo

Awesome Congrats on a sweet one. Can't stop grinning I will bet. ~sololobo~

28. olskool34

olskool34

I am with everyone else that wants to keep her as is. The reason being is because you can do all your mods to something that is not so original, there is just something about a car that has survived and is that clean. You can never reverse what you want to do with the car, sometimes thoughts change and if you jump in with both feet and change your mind, well, that absolutlely cool original part of the car is gone. Pass it on to someone that wants to leave her as is and take the money you get and buy a nice clean shell on a frame that would be more than welcome to what you want to do with it. Just my 2 cents.

29. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Ahhhhh i can almost smell the MOUSE PEE from here! Love it!

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

X2! Shoebox Fords are not my favorite cars to start with, but one in that condition needs to be restored, not cut up. Too much stuff there in good original condition to waste. They're only original one time.

If I did anything, it would be bolt on's that could be changed back to stock easily.