Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studeillac, May 16, 2012.

1. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

hey everybody. just trying to get some insperation on my front floors. I have a 52 Studebaker, and this thing is kicking my ass. but i guess most Studebakers have the same problem. but who has some pictures on before and after front floorboard replacements? I have the passenger side done, it is just taking me longer than i imagined. but i am just looking for a little bit of persuasion i guess. thanks guys. :confused:

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

not a stude but a merc. when i bought this one, it just had some rust in the floor, and none anywhere else. I put off fixing it for a couple of years and then decided to tear into it...started trimming out the rust, and then the spot here, then the spot over there, then HEY! no rust! but no floor either!! after it was said and done it looked great and i enjoyed it for one show...then it went to a new home in Australia..:rolleyes: stick with it, it will get done..

Attached Files:

3. just remember, do get too down on yourself for how long it's taking. floors are probably one of the hardest things to do right. everyone always thinks, "it's just a floor, it doesn't have to look pretty" ...that's true, but it has to function properly. the floor is the intersection of a lot of stuff in the car. the pillars, toe boards, trans tunnel, seat mounts, body mounts, etc. all intersect with the floor. there's tons of seams that are overlapped from the factory just begging to collect water and dirt. "slddnmatt" has a perfect example there of things done the right way.

Hey, just did some research....check these out

http://www.classicent.com/sedans.php

these are a lot less expensive, but also look to lower quality

http://www.c2cfabrication.com/store/index.php?manufacturers_id=13

looks like this guy used some of the nicer ones in his 55 stude
    http://photobucket.com/images/55+Studebaker+with+floors/

rocco

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  4. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

it's a shame to cover it up it looks so good.

5. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

thanks fellas!!! a little uplift is always good...and its good to know that im not the only one going through the "am i in over my head?" moments. I think i feel overwhelmed because, yes the car has been sitting two different garages for about 3 years, and the bug has hit me HARD and I think i just want the car to be done. I need to take some advice given to me by my late grandfather when i was 16. "If you need it done fast its gonna perform like crap, and then your gonna feel like crap. Slow down young man."
    "Yes-sir, grandpa. Yes sir."

thanks again guys. and i did purchace my floorpans through classic enterprises about two years ago. very good thick steel just needs alot of trimming and shaping in some areas. i would use them again and recommend them.

6. studeillac

studeillac
    from canton, ga

ordered my pans two years ago from classic enterprises. very high quality steel, trimming is definatley needed but nothing is perfect.

7. aint that the truth.