Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Trailer Ramps - any opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerband, May 16, 2012.

1. Powerband

Powerband

Finishing up a car trailer for my first attempts at taking my current Six project to a test and tune night.

> I'm ready to buy a set of loading ramps for the trailer and deciding wether to get hook end ramps setup or flat plate ends onto trailer, so ramps could fit anything.

... pretty obscure request but alum' ramps wil cost as much as rest of trailer...

(Trailer is good for @ 4K Lbs, deck is @ 20" high , weighs under 1000 lbs)

:cool:

2. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Why not build your own from steel

3. TxRat

TxRat

I built mine from angle iron and expanded metal. I can take pics if you want to see them..

Got less than $100 in them..

4. squirrel

squirrel

I built mine from 2x12s and 1x2 steel tube and some angle and strap. Not much money in them, since I had most of the materials already. They hook on the round bar that was already across the back of my trailer. They're too heavy when it's time to pull them out and put them on the trailer and then put them away later...but that's life.

I would not want to have flat plate end ramps to put a car on a trailer, or especially to take the car off the trailer

5. I Drag

I Drag

You will regret the flat end ramps the first time they slip off the trailer while loading/unloading. And they will.

6. Ain't that the truth, I hate storing my ramps on the side of the trailer.

I would not use the flat ends either by the way.

7. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I just built these by cutting a walk-in ramp from a rental truck in 1/2 and welding a new side on it.

I welded the 3" angle to the ramp and it that lays flat on the end of my ramp truck.
    The 1/2" bolt goes through the truck in order to hold it in place. With out it, the ramp would be pushed off of the truck when you hit the gas while driving up.

Attached Files:

8. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

9. Powerband

Powerband

... thanks for the responses, I figgered' a wide range of responses with build your own being the main response. I'd counted on aluminum ramps as the intent is to keep it light. The available 8' ramps are 37 lbs each in alum.

I am interested in the angle iron and mesh idea... need @ 8-10' of ramps for header clearance and @ 4" thick storage space.

.. either way, "hook" to trailer sounds like the setup to finish.

thanks again

10. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I have hook tongue style ramps, they slide under trailer deck and fasten with a big wing nut, like swade41 said.....the flat plates will, at some time slip....can you say crushed rockers!!!, ask me how I know!

11. angle iron, hook style, they mount up under the dove tail.

12. [​IMG]

1x2x1 8' channel rails with 1x1.5 angle tread 8" apart weighs ... drumroll ... 37 pounds .... and no problem with 4000 pound car

13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The ones above do work well but they are a real bear for a non-running car unless you install a winch on your trailer!

14. TxRat

TxRat

those look similar to mine. I welded expanded metal on mine. world of difference...

15. Dave B.

Dave B.

For all you guys who can build a house out of toothpicks - I envy you, but...

I screwed around with heavy steel ramps for years, and all I got for my trouble was rust on my jeans and an achy back. A few years ago, we began transporting 2 OT vehicles that had very low ground clearance and we ended up always having to use boards to get the cars on the trailer without dragging.

I heard about Discount Ramps and gave them a call. They were very nice and agreed to make some changes to one of their ramp sets to meet my specific needs. The extra charge was very reasonable.

If you look at the chart in the attached link, you'll see that their ramps are VERY light.

http://www.discountramps.com/car-trailer-ramps.htm

I know that this isn't the answer for everyone, but I've been more than happy with these ramps. I think buying them was money well-spent for me.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No matter how you set them up figure out how to lock them in the storage racks on the trailer. My old boss found out that it gets real expensive to have a pair of ramps built in a hurry after someone steals yours at a stop along the way to where you are going with the trailer.

17. Dave B.

Dave B.

I've seen that happen. When we're on the road, our ramps stay in the back of the tow truck. It has a topper with dark tinted windows and 2 locks on the back hatch.

18. Powerband

Powerband

Discount Ramps seems to have best deals on ramps, shipping gets expensive on longer ramps. I'm real curious how long your ramps needed to be for low clearance cars (like most these days), I kept the trailer deck height low but still considering 8' or 10' ( @ $ 480 vs $ 750 :eek:)

thanks again

19. That is a damn fine Nomad in your avatar.

20. That's why I made mine from 2" x 12" pressure treated pine and angle iron for the hooks. They were a bit heavy, but ugly and nobody wanted to steal them.

Bob

21. TxRat

TxRat

Thanks Sam.