Register now to get rid of these ads!

diagnosing a collapsed lifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54Mercruiser, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Gawd I hope so.

What is being described sounds like a physical impossibility. Maybe it would stay sunk all the time. Rising on occaision just sounds impossible.

2. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

I just might have to, simply for curiosity's sake. I wish I was computer savvy enough to post a video so everyone could see it.

Guess my wife knows where I'll be on vacation next week..lol

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

54, there's more than just curiosity involved on your part. It's a learning process that you owe yourself. Beside's, it's clear to everyone here that you need to open it up, a running video won't do any good.

4. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Copy that...even parts of a buildable engine have value too, and you're absolutely correct about the learning experience, never actually torn into one.

5. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Alrighty then..Dad texted me that he and my brother got that 292 pulled and should have the 256 in and rolling by the weekend.

Next up, tear into that 292 and see what's what.

6. first, these other guys are right...no hydraulic lifters in a Yblock ford...changing a cam is a NIGHTMARE in these engines...the lifters are mushroom shaped with the big end below the lifter bore....what does this mean?...it means that to change either cam or lifters the engine MUST come out of the car...then the pistons and rods must be taken out...then the crankshaft must come out...then all lifters must be pulled away from the cam to allow cam removal...after the cam comes out, then the lifters can be removed..from the bottom....nothing at all like any other v8 engine....changing a cam means a complete overhaul....this applies to all Yblock engines..239, 256, 272, 292, and 312s.