Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Line Too Close To Heat Source?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkledaddy, May 17, 2012.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I bent up a piece of 3/8" steel brake line to run for fuel line between the pump and carb.

Is the fuel line so close to the front of the head (1/16" at top and 1/8" at bottom) that the heat radiating from the head will have an effect?

Attached Files:

2. Many cars did just that stock with no issues. Ford even used clamps to hold the line to the head.

3. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

You'll know come summer time if it vapor locks or not.

4. fsae0607

fsae0607

I plumbed the fuel line on my Olds damn near the same way. Haven't had any issues, even in the summer.

It's on the pressure side of the pump so heat/vapor lock shouldn't be an issue while the engine's running.

5. bennydog

bennydog
    from Corona

I would probably more concerned with the proximity to the radiator hose. that gave me a problem once!

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Thanks for the replys.
    I'm gonna give it a try like it is.

7. Pasta

Pasta

If you lenghten the piece of rubber hose at the top connection, it will move the line away from the head.
    If you're that concerned with it, just remake the fuel line with less bends so it comes up top farther away from the engine.
    Like has been said earlier, stock engines have been manufactured this way for years without issue. If you're running low 8's it might make a difference, but not on a street car.
    Good Luck.

George

8. Model T1

Model T1

Yep that part is close to stock.
    We just switched our 55 Chevy from an electric pump back to mechanical. My son just ran rubber from the place the metal line went up to the carb near firewall along the inner frame to fuel pump. That's a no no. Vapor lock. He changed to a metal line outside framerail up to front then over to pump. No more vaporlock. The line going to the pump is more important. But try to keep the upper line away from lower radiator hose. I have had Chevys I had to cover that part with pipe wrap insulation.

9. i'm restoring a '70 challenger with a 318 and air the factory routed the line from the pump in a way that you would think they were trying to make it hot. it goes between the altenator and head then behind the compressor, around the thermostat housing then back towards the carb. if this had not been a 27k mile, one owner untouched car i never would have believed it