Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smell my car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clevername, May 14, 2012.

1. bennydog

bennydog
    from Corona

That was Funny!!

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

On the other side of the coin, it was just on the news a couple of weeks ago that the "new car smell" so many people love is actually not good for you, it can be very toxic. The smell consists of all the chemicals working their way out of the plastics and leathers used in interiors these days.

Just one more reason to buy only old cars. :D

Don

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'm glad someone finally took the time to answer this question. now we can figure out new ways around their learned behavior and really gas em.

4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

This thread is kind of funny...but true. Maybe alot of guys on the Eastern side of the country might not relate as much as older cars werent driven as much or in big numbers. But out here in California people regularly drove old cars into the 70s and 80s...VW's smell one way, Fiats another, Fords another and GM yet another way. I guess it was the type or manufacturer of the interior materials they used..and age...the developed a certain smell. My '59 Pontiac definitely has an old Pontiac smell...I had a neighbor come by and check it out and he said he could smell the interior..and the back window had been down in this wagon when it was parked in a barn for 42 years! When you redo the interior with modern upholstery the smell is gone...like another hamber said..a certain scent is a memory trigger..my Pontiac reminds me of alot of GM cars I have had over the years...

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

6. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

My recent '55 purchases' old car smell is overpowered by SERIOUS animal piss. I'm not happy at all about it. Prob have to replace the seat foam. It's pretty rancid!

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like the old mohair aroma in vintage cars. And of course good old Ethyl.

On the funny side, I got a goodie bag a few months ago with some new Hagerty sponsored "please don't touch" window stickers that are a play on the old scratch n sniff magazine advertising gimicks. But these say "Sniff, but Don't Scratch" Gary

8. mine smells like old farts.

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

There ain't nothing like that old car smell, except maybe the smell of an old valve record player/tube amp warmed up.
    Paul

10. dw123

dw123

It's part of the history of the cars we drive, where they've been, what they've seen, the stories thay could tell, materials that you don't find in modern cars...and I'm with Kripfink on valve amps as well!

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I agree. There's definitely different scents from different car makes. I thought I was the only one who noticed.

12. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

My car must have belonged to a past PIMP. It smells like cheap perfume, coconut oil, and Summer Eve!

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The solvents that vent from the plastics used back then were pretty toxic. But that was before the EPA and OSHA, right? And other stuff we didn't know about. I probably get a little wood if I smelled fresh mimeograph ink again! Gary

14. My old cars used to smell like a brewery a lot. OK when your drinkin' not so OK when you are trying to recover. They have smelled like stink bait before as well, also not a good smell when you are trying to recover.

A friend of mines wife when we were young borrowed my car one Sunday morning. She was wearing a real short skirt and this drink (yes still tipsy on Sunday morning) walked over from the way she described it stuck his head in the window and says, "maaaan it sure smells like legs in here."

No I don't recall anyone wanting to smell my car before.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  15. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've noticed that my fords have always smelt a little different than similar year chevy's.

On a slightly OT note, I also have come to enjoy how on a humid day the steering wheel is a little sticky and sometimes leaves some residue on your hands...

16. Willy301

Willy301

By the way, someone asked me who here ever pumped Ethyl, I guess she had a child and wants to find the father...=D

and on a side note... I love the smell of Cam2 in the morning!

17. sskustoms

sskustoms

Ha ha ha. Wasn't me I don't know no Ethyl

18. 56FRLN

56FRLN

I ran into that this past weekend for the first time. Had family over and one of my brother-in-laws mentioned how the '56 smelled "like an old car should".

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

Smell plays such a large part in enjoyment of things. Wish all my cars smelled like the interior of my high school 50 Chevy. I also crave the smell of a new engine when it's hot and the paint is cooking, and new tires, oh my, I love the smell of brand new tires.

20. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

My Acadian still has the 60's GM smell in it. Makes me happy everytime I get in it.

21. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Bought a 55 pontiac in 1987, it had sat for years but when i opened that door for the first time, i was sold.. Nothing like the smell of an old gm..

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

the police always seem to sniff around my cars. i wonder just what they think they are going to find.lol

23. Muttley

Muttley

Agreed, my '67 Malibu that I bought in '01 smelled great inside. Its the only car I've ever owned that I regret selling.

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

"I probably get a little wood if I smelled fresh mimeograph ink again! Gary"

That shit did smell good didn't it .<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

25. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

My dad tells the story about how some of his "friends"??? put lindberger cheese on his exhaust manifold at his wedding reception, then he and mom took off for their honeymoon. he said even after washing the engine several times the smell never went away. said it still stunk when hot till the day he traded it off.

26. fsae0607

fsae0607

Every car has its smell. My '61 has that "old truck mixed with gasoline" smell. My Olds has that "G-Body Cutlass" smell, which is best described as a mix of vanilla and crayola crayons.

To us car guys, maybe it's the car's pheromones that attract us to them.

27. thats just funny shit there

28. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

My 50 Ford smells of a mix of old farts, used motor oil and cheap apostasy. I'm not sure if I'm losing my mind but I'm starting to like it.

29. Fenders

Fenders

overheated electrics... maybe that was the smell of WWII surplus electronics I remember from the 1950s... Bakelite, phenolic insulation, old wiring, old condensers (uh, capacitors)...
    Sniff it once and you'll know an ARC-5 transmitter immediately !!

30. I'll tell ya' what Kelvin..... You smell my finger and I'll smell your car!