Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Merc found at Garage Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48flyer, May 16, 2012.

1. Model T1

Model T1

I'm new here. Maybe it's not nice to ask how much. But we don't even know where this garage sale buy was or what it cost. So all we know is some lucky dog found a nice Merc cheap......maybe!
    I'm like the other guys, all I find are VCR's and fat women's clothes. Okay extra large female clothes. I never said I am politically correct or nice. After all, I've been breathing fuel, oil, and burnt rubber most of my life.
    So I lied. When still back in the middle of Illinois, far far away, maybe 1980, my wife knew I wanted a 1955 Chevy hardtop. She called from across town at a yard sale all bubbly and excited. I hurried over to find a 1955 2-door post owned by a school teacher. Wasn't a little ole lady. But the guy took good care of it. 350 with BW 4-speed. Story is they were selling out to move to Arizona.
    After I explained to the love of my life that that ain't no 2-door hardtop I ended up buyin the 55 Chevy for $2500. Great lookin and running car. At that time she tapped on the roof and showed me it was a hard top!
    See I told! Would still own it but had to sell some junk when we moved to Florida.
    So, yep, I did buy a car at a yard sale. Actually saw many others, even here in Floriduuuh! They're out there among the fat women's clothes, old microwaves, and nearly new excercise machines. :eek:

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

Sweet deal! Garage sales can be good. I got my 55 Pontiac at an estate sale.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

4. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Damn, I never find anything like that at a garage sale!!! Great find!!!

5. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

I furnished most of my first house with garage sale items. But then again, who needs furniture with a find like that!!! Nice score.

6. grazy

grazy

Damn all I ever see is VCR tapes of Barney the dinosaur, old baby clothes and roller blades . Everytime I'm ready to quit I see a sale at an old house and I can't resist. One of these days I'm due to have my big find hopefully I will have cash on hand for it..

7. Nighthawk756

Nighthawk756

Man! What a fantastic find! I'm like the others, I never find anything like that here....:(

8. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

9. Well maam - the car is really old - tell you what - look at this stack of 350 $1.00 bills.....SOLD! (ha ha)

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Oh yeah!!! Pics or it didn't hap.....uh late!:D

11. Wow! Awesome score!

12. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Hey Dude,,, good for you. OBTW it's nobodys business what you paid for the car... Tell them all to go piss up a rope.....

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

why does everybody get so pissy if you ask how much someone paid..ive scored stuff for cheap and i've paid a good chunk for stuff too, i never have a problem telling people..if you plan on flipping it and making some extra cash, good for you.. if you plan on keeping it, good for you!! You might get the occasional dick that bachs at your asking price if you try and flip it, and they know what you paid, but then i guess they should of found it then! one of my favorits threads is the Ardun head garage sale score for $300 bucks i think it was. If i remember correctly, he ended up selling them for a hell of alot more..Im just waiting for my turn...and im guessing maybe $1500 for the merc:)

14. Well you are a wet blanket aren't you ... :eek:

15. sololobo

sololobo

O.M.G., what a sweet one. for reference, dig photos of Steve Worthheimers black 51 4-door on the Lone Star Roundup history pix. It is my fave Merc of all times. Congrats bro! ~sololobo~

16. chopped

chopped

Right, it's not like anyone ever asks "what's it worth". Information is knowledge.

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Great find, congrats! I don't want to know what it was bought for, it'll probably make me cry. :)

18. 48flyer

48flyer

OK, So i found it at a garage sale. That part you know.
    My "smart phone" has this thingy on it that tells me when certain items are available on craigslist. I had a search saved for "flathead" and the lady that posted her garage sale, included in the ad that "there is an old mercury with a flathead V8 in the pole shed"
    That is what triggered the notification on my phone. There was no phone number or pictures, only an address, which happened to be about 10 miles away from where i was at the time.
    I headed that direction and she was shocked to see anyone had seen the ad already, as it had only been posted for about 20 minutes. I looked it over for about 10 minutes before buying it on the spot. Honestly I wanted to get the deal done before someone else pulled into the driveway. I did not want to get into a bidding war with someone who had more money than me, which is about everyone in town!
    I am very fortunate to have found this car. Her husband wanted so badly to restore it, but they are in thier 70's and simply can not do it.
    I promised them a ride when i got it running, and they were very excited about that. They were both very nice people.
    I am excited to get it running and check over all of the safety items, other than that It will stay original for now.
    As far as price......Go piss up a rope! Ok, thats not the kind of guy I am, so I will just say It wasn't $500, but it wasn't $5000 either.

19. What app is that 48flyer?? What a cool score. Did you get the bumpers and grille too?

20. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

more doors rule (well, almost), I don't care what anybody says!

21. more doors are cool cruisers...please don't chop it...yawn !!...that's been done way too many times already....best of luck with your merc !!

22. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

I hope you bought a lottery ticket on the way home...incredible find!!!

23. 48flyer

48flyer

You'll love this.
    This car is absolutely perfect. NO RUST ANYWHERE
    The bumpers have all been rechromed. Theyre still wrapped in the paper from the chrome shop.
    All of the glass is new green tinted glass
    There is a..do i dare say this? NOS grille with it.
    The entire bottom from tits to tail has been cleaned and painted with POR 15
    It came with a brand new wiring harness.
    All of the gauges have the 12 to 6 volt reducers on them.
    There is an old NOS spotlight in the box.
    I'm sure I am leaving something out, but you get the idea.

24. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

WTF!!!???? Well I feel as if I should go to Far Far Away land, does that have the same directions as Never Never Land? Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning!

25. richie rebel

richie rebel

you did good son,real good!!!!!

26. now you're just rubbing it in 48Flyer!!! haha

27. Fenders

Fenders

Yah we gotta know how to do this... guess we all should buy a smart phone...

And BTW what you paid isn't relevant to anything, except making all of us feel bad... my wife once found a $50 bill on the ground, so it cost her nothing.... should she have sold it for $10 and made a profit? Ha ha I should have her luck.

28. 48flyer

48flyer

It is a free App from the droid app store place. I think its called Craigslist Notification.
    It is pretty slick. Last month I scored a 6 foot round Texaco sign with the roadside pole. It pays to be first in line.
    I also found my 48 coupe on there a couple years ago.
    people talk shit about Craigslist, but I have to say, I love it and have never had a bad experience. Sold a lot of shit on there too that I would have otherwise thrown out.

Attached Files:

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

GREAT story 48flyer! Nice to know you'll give the former owners a ride, hope you have years of enjoyment with the car. Bob

30. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

great score!! thanks to the app for not getting you in a bidding war. timing is everything. keep us posted