Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Traditional Custom work in progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greasemachine, May 14, 2012.

1. Pimpin paint......please show us some of your Customs.I would really like to see your quality builds.

2. Jeff I am still waiting for you to scan and post pictures of when Dick was working on your car!! This seems like as good a thread as any.

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

This is a great thread. The "no squirt gun welds" thing is taking it too far but otherwise kool. Have you ever had to fix a car that was welded on "traditionally" back in the day? Not pretty. Lead work is awesome but the materials to do it right are through the roof.

4. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I would call my car traditional, but not period correct because of the engine, tranny , and disc brakes, the engine is a 302 with early 289 accesories, the 264 came out in late 63, and is basicly the same block as a 302, the other sin is the gennie shifter, but this car is replacing my 39 deluxe sedan as my daily driver and car for long distance shows. the circa I am shooting for is 1959 to 1964.

5. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I think the main objective is to inspire guys to build more traditionaly stlyed customs , so I agree with grease machine, if you can afford to build a 100% period correct custom , more power to you, but it is not cheap, for starters , the number of guys that still gas weld and hammer weld , do lead work and peck and file , you can count on one hand , and they are not cheap and this type of work is labor intensive, if you are rebuilding a famous custom that you plan to take to pebble beach, than you can only use n.o.s. parts , original nuts and bolts, n.o.s. tires, wirering, voltage regulators, real tuck and rolls, vintage nalgahyde, on and on.
    Same go'es for the paint, a good 16 coat lacqere can out shine a two stage paint and has more depth, if you are lucky enough to be able to buy lacqere , more power to you, in california, a shop can only buy water based paints now, and again lacqere is labor intensive, you have to colour sand between each and every coat. besides lacqere did'nt became popular till the fifties, enamel was the paint of choice in the fortys, so it all depends on what era you are trying to inmulate.
    I do think it is important to pick an era or period for our cars and try to stick to it,customizing stlyes changed from decade to decade, and we should try to paint a correct image for the period that we picked for our cars, but to go to the other extreme and expect guys to build hundred point period correct cars is selfish and makes us look like elite assholes.
    Again , the purpose of this thread is to inspire more guys to build tradionally styled customs and not turn us into a small group of assholes.

6. That might be a while :),maybe I will post something later.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I can get down with this idea, except for the tube shocks, tube shocks are okay.

8. [​IMG]
    Well since I have learned that some people think I bought my car as is.....I figured I would throw this one up.Not good quality because I dont have a scanner,so I snapped a shot of a framed picture but the glare is real bad but you get the point.

The Sultan of chop doing what should be done to driprails on a custom from this era.......getting rid of em.

9. HAHA Awesome Jeff. That is a great picture!!

10. [​IMG]
    How about Custom work under the hood? :) This was taken as I was starting to do the body work and starting to clean up the rats nest under the hood.This was no joke right here,at least for me it wasn't.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  11. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey "Bloody K " A'lookin' MIGHTY FINE ! Congrats

Smoke' _______________

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    An, I said, "Go Ahead, and Call your Lawyer .........." (She Did !!!)

12. Smokey2

Smokey2

Good "Comeback" JeffSled ............................

I Like the Quote ,
    "Nice Trophy, Who built your Car ? "

I'm SLOOOW GOIN' on My '53 Chevy chopped tudor, I just decided (in Last few Months!),
    Damn !, I'm finnally gittin OLD .

Smokey II

13. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Well said, Miguel...

14. Keep em coming Jeff. I have been waiting a long time to see these!!:D

15. jfrolka

jfrolka

Wait till he psts pics of the caddy motor thats in it now... :eek:

16. I've seen pictures of that it's the build pictures I have never seen that I really want to see.

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

We all love the early customs that were built in the fortys, you know the stuff kids were building that went to hollywood or van nuys high, these cars were not perfect but had caracter and soul, but let's not forget that a lot of famous customs were built in the late sixties, as well as the custom hotrods, these were hot rods with highly modified custom bodies, ya know the stuff Ed Roth, Tom Daniels, Geogre Barris and others built in the late sixties, I have a soft spot for these cars because I built them as model cars when I was a kid. I feel they have their place too in the history of customs.

18. Well I agree with the Hotrod part but in my opionion what I consider to to be a custom was long gone by the late sixtys.Also if you consider some of the 60s stuff with a Barris crest.... then I think Dick Dean needs to be mentioned.

19. jerseymike

jerseymike

i love customs and would love to see every other thread on here be about customs. as far as traditional, the problem becomes everyone's idea of what is and isn't exceptable is different. you stated a 350 chevy, suspension upgrades and disc brakes are ok but others will argue against it. everyone's idea of traditional is different. i am not disagreeing or looking for any argument, just saying nit-picking every detail of every custom built only divides a group of us that is way to small already. at one good look any true custom fan can tell what is and what obviously isn't a traditional build. if you look long enough you find at least one thing on every single build that someone will disagree on. the dedication and cost of building a "true" traditional custom are unbelievable and where is the line drawn? are using cordless tools untraditional? i guess you could argue it. again, i'm not looking for an argument, i'm saying if we really want to encourage more custom builds, we need to stop finger pointing at whose car doesn't fit "my" idea of traditional since we can't even agree on what is exactly traditional. and thanks to everyone on here who posts pictures, both old and new of cool customs.

20. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I agree, if you think hot rods are expensive to build , try a custom, plus the patience you have to have , in order not to give up half way through the project. Ya , they are not some model a roadster that you can throw together in a couple of months and start driving.

21. Jersey Mike....I agree,I think when tools ,body filler,etc start getting debated it's getting a little out of hand.I think the topics that were brought up in the opening post are legit and worth talking about when talking about period cars.

Magoozi.......you are totally right about the money and patience,I was real close to selling my car when we were doing the engine,my patience had ran out.

22. jerseymike

jerseymike

thanks for your response jeff and i think your answer to magoozi makes my point. you are one of the biggest contributers to the custom threads on the hamb and even you thought of selling out of frustration trying to stay exactly on track. imagine how many projects don't get finished for the same reason. my own build is 4 years old already and done with a limited budget, by me with limited tools, junkyard/swapmeet parts and almost every body panel is/will be modified. i'm not a professional, and i'm no mechanic so i can't afford to stay 100% true on everything but appearance wise it's all mid-late 50's. i know it's "taboo" but i used a frame clip. the money it saved me went to body parts. yet although my car has more body mods than most cars their are alot of people that will write it off because it has a frame clip. everytime i open a new thread on customs i see someone listing what you can and can't do. alot of these people are driving stock bodied cars that have been nothing more than lowered with white walls and there knocking cars i would consider full customs. i think if we are going to encourage more custom builds we have to change the thinking. check out my build thread and tell me if you think i'm wrong in my thinking and again thanks for all you do to help keep customs alive on the hamb. thanks, jerseymike

23. Shitboxdodge

Shitboxdodge

That car is being done just right!!!!

24. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

This is exactly why i stopped posting progress of my shit on here..... EVERYTHING turns into a pissing contest and so many name droppers it's pretty desperate and very predictable!!!! Too bad!!!

Later!!

25. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

sad it came to that ian,but i agree with you.At least if i catch you at show you could give me an update?..cheers!

26. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

This thread is not about pointing fingers at people and their cars. I don't like to judge other.

I'm trying to inspire people who are building a custom to maybe go the traditional way, as good as possible. It's more like a goal for the builder. Or learn something from other, what can be done, looks cool and is traditional...Not every time it will cost more money. Airbags and crazy frame mods are not cheap. In other words, if you don't have the money to go fancy trad custom, go mild and leave the stock components in.

It's about braggin about non trad mods.
    Like' look my car lays frame', ' got this insane stereo', 'wow, put a 2001 Corvette suspension under it'

If you bought the car with a frontclip already installed have fun with it. Thats why I put up that build it right at the first time thread...

27. I agree with you that there could definitley be more tolerance for none tradtional aspects of builds on here but I also see the point that this board is about traditonal cars and we should work hard to keep it that way. I think the biggest problem is it is a very slippery slope once you start down what is allowed and what is not and finding the cutoff becomes difficult. I am on that slope myself as I have bags on my build(no it does not lay frame) but other than that it is a pretty much late a 40's early 50's build so I sometimes hesitate to show it on certain threads.

I also think that if guys post stuff on this board and more specifically on a thread like this that Greasemachine has pretty specifically laid out the parameters for and what they are doing is not in keeping with that they should expect a certain amount of shit and abuse for it. Where I have a problem with the shit and abuse is in a case like Ian where guys go on his threads and shit on his work for not being strickly traditional. I realize that a soon as you post something on the net you open ourself up to it but there should also be a certain amount of class shown by others as well.

Sorry to hijack Greasemachines thread. START POSTING YOUR TRADITIONAL BUILDS GUYS.

28. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

29. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thats a real bummer, I look forward to seeing updates on your build. Shame

30. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

Here's some pics & if somebody doesn't like'm they can traditionally kiss my ass.

Attached Files: