Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happens when it's over

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, May 15, 2012.

1. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

...because it sounded better for the old black guy to say something like "I like Dodges...my wife was run over by a Dodge" when they were out in the middle of nowhere by that old store/gas station.

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

If I croak first, my wife gets all the toys.
    If I croak last, the Pasadena Humane Society gets a big check from the sale of everything from cars, tools, antiques, houses, cameras and my collection of model car boxes and squirt guns. (!) :)

3. Can you write me in for a squirt gun.

Colliadescopes, I got a ton of them, I think I'll give them to the gilr before i go she has played with them since she was real little and still does.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Even this one ?????:eek::D (This is SO wrong !)
    [​IMG]

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Is that the John Travolta model?

6. My personal rule is if i havent touched it or looked at it in a year, then its in line to be sold or Good Willed. It helps keep clutter down, selling my extra stuff keeps cash in my pocket or paypal account, and keeps me focused. I told the wife the day I die, she has 1 year to sell everything I owned thats left. Told her if my friends or family want anything, they have to bid along with everybody else, no cherry picking.

To aid in selling my remaining inventory, I wrote up a classified ad for anything worth more than $25 and filed it. Then, told her to ebay everything, no reserve. Because i keep turning parts over, there isnt much to sell and shes knows if i kept it, its not garbage. Many loose car parts go with current projects and can/ shoudl be sold with the car, or as a lot. Then, she can take the money and do with it what she pleases. I decided to do this after watching American Pickers and Hoarders.

7. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

I saw how bad things can go when my older brother died unexpectedly several years ago. His widow was able to sell off the last car he built-his 33' Willys. The problem was the other stuff he had like a ton of old hot rod parts (Vertex mags, manifolds, etc) and his tools that literally disappeared.

I lived 1,000 miles away at the time and I went there right after he died for the service. However, by the time I got out there to help sort through his stuff a few months later we discovered most of it was missing.
    Apparently someone had been coming in the side door of the garage and
    taking parts and tools for a while. His widow never checked on his garage after he died.

I told my wife regardless of how you may be feeling you need to be more diligent. I have tried to catalog all my parts, tools, guns and other stuff
    of value. One thing this post reminds me to do is that I have to update my list. The list just shows the major stuff with purchase price and my guess at the current market value.

Off course, the best course of action might be to find a good auctioner that advertises aggresively for your type of stuff. Thats critical because I knew another distant relative who sold off all of his estate. His stuff, like the tools, sports memorbilia and car stuff did very poorly. It just shows you have to be sure the auctioner you chose markets your type of stuff well and has a reputation for bringing in the right kind of customers.

8. My wife ain't no fool,,she is informed and knows what all the cars are worth,,at least the Deuce stuff.

I have a close friend that is a Hamber that will get a call when my number is up and he will receive a bunch of Deuce parts. HRP

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm taking all my stuff with me.

10. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

If you don't already have life insurance and you have family please buy some. Its not that expensive and it can make things a whole lot easier on the ones you leave behind. We just liquidated a huge estate of a building contractor. He passed fairly young and unexpectedly. Apparently, they didn't have things prepared and there was no life insurance. With no income and expenses of a large estate, she has lost everything. This sweet lady, in her 50's has to start life over with nothing. We meet people in situations like this all the time. No matter what age or financial situation, planning and protection is necessary.

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

I just watched a good friend auction off literally everything he has ever owned due to a divorce, if I die, I'd rather my friends take what they want from my stock pile and give the rest to someone that needs it. some young dude with a family that aint got two beans to rub together but has got it in his veins.

now I know thats the romanticized version :)

fuck it Im dead, y'all do whatcha want with it.

12. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Beans, doesn't it bother you that you've got to whack-off Batman to get him to squirt? LOL:eek:

Attached Files:

13. wow, I never really thought of this, well about the cars. I am a single dad, fairly young at 38 and healthy but could get hit by a bus tomorrow. My son is only 2 and he would get my life insurance, also my house, but everything would at first be transfered to my parents.

I should spell out some more specific things in regards to my cars, collectible surfboards etc.

14. SOHC427

SOHC427

I told my wife to sell the cars/trucks, tools and guns, because I didn't want the next asshole she marries, to use all my stuff! She said, What makes you think I'm gonna marry another asshole?

On the serious side, the well to do friends, will be there, to score a good deal, or rob you blind. Money is a real motivator, and friends and family won't give a rats ass about the things you loved.

There isn't a car nut in my family, except me. So the shit goes to the auction house, except the Cammer stuff, to a good friend., and the tools to my Brother.
    Eric

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Now thats funny!:D Bob

16. nutajunka

nutajunka

I knew a guy who died of cancer to young also. He was a total gear head, his wife not at all. After he died she found an auctioner to sell everything, drag it out of the barn's, etc. Well lucky for her the guy and his workers were honest, because while moving an old dryer he had in the barn they opened it up and there was a wad of hundreds inside.
    So she halted the auction and went through everything she could find.
    Found stacks of old sparkplug boxes with rolled up hundreds in them tight.
    It was amazing. After she went through everything, the auctoners came back, set it all out and in a day his whole life of collecting was gone.
    Then the house and property and off to a condo in F.L. she went.

As far as my stuff, I almost have it all sorted, sold off about 95% and just taking everyday one at a time. But I still have the, I guess you would call it craving to build another, I don't think that ever goes away.

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

A friend of mine died last month. You know the story, old junkyard dog thats been in the business for 60+ years. I bought my last 3 cars from his yard, and loads of parts. Theres still a shit ton to be had over there, BUT I do not know who to contact about buying stuff in the yard. I'd hate to drive by one day and see a crusher team clearing it out, but unfortunately I feel it IS going to happen.

I asked him one day last year "whats gonna happen to this place when you keel over?" He told me that his son wants nothing to do with it, and his daughter has no clue. I went to his house and knocked on the door hoping his Wife was home, atleast that way I could ask whats going to happen. No answer...

Rumors of the DEC wanting to get in there

18. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

uh....butt plug?

19. I'm 63 today, but started thinking about this years ago as I have so much stuff. 6 years ago I decided to give my kids some stuff early. They are both car nuts and love rods and customs. I gave my daughter, 31, my finished T tub, so she could enjoy it while she was young. I am building a 27 fenderless coupe for her now. My son, who isn't mechanically inclined, is helping me redo his 51 ford coupe, mild custom. He will also get my 49 chev pickup. They can fight over my 47 ford convert if I ever get started on it. I have left my specialized tools to a friend. My daughter's new fiance is a good guy and car nut, so they can get rid of my parts cars and projects and pieces. I also have a will. Pat

20. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

You might want to rethink that plan. As an old guy much smarter than me once said: "You never see a hearse pulling a U-Haul".

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not worried, as I wont be here to care. I know my 13 yr. old gradaughter told me yesterday, "This is the car I want to learn to drive in."
    She was referring to my Austin gasser, and I asked why. Her answer was that she heard it had a big engine and if she could learn to drive in it, then she could drive anything.
    Guess she'll be the next generation hotrodder to take up the reins and do something with all this crap.

22. no55mad

no55mad

It's investing in precious metals - PRECIOUS METALS!! - it's not crap!!!:D

23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

It's all just stuff and won't mean a shit to me after I'm done with it. My daughter doesn't care so I'll probably tell her to have an auction. Stuff brings way more money on auction anyway.
    I might leave my main snap on tool box full of tools if I find someone worthy.

24. jazz1

jazz1

How 'bout an auctioneer taking care of everything you want to sell or offer a trusted friend the opportunity to earn a commission selling anything you want to part with. no doubt your wife does not want to deal with the unsavoury characters who might show up at the door,,ya know how those car guys are!...
    today for the second time in a week I have been approached by local seniors to come out to their property to see if there is anything of interest I would like,,they don't want the stuff to go to scrap if they die...few years back a guy gave me a running 65 Mack cause he wanted a good home for it,,,I found one

25. I'm 65 this Saturday:eek: I think about it all the time. Keeps me from buying more cars. I do have alot of stuff. It took my brother and I six months to clean out our Dads place. Every Saturday! We would both take a load home in our chevy wagons. Then on the 3rd week we both showed up with the wagons full, returning the stuff. We both realized our kids would have to to the same thing. We ended up selling to junk shop. He took it all, that was the deal. He gave us one offer and took the good the bad and the ugly. I told my wife auction it all off.:(

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I told my wife to have a yard sale.
    Everythings a dollar.
    BUT, you have to take it all.
    I told her just dont build a shrine. Get rid of it and park your car in the garage.
    Then I told/asked her to get me a beer and make me a sandwich, pass the remote over here and dont talk so much. She wont miss me at all.

27. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

28. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Baahhhhahhhahahhah... You gotta give Batman an enema before you can whack him off and make him squirt! Batman was a kinky SOB, huh?

29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Baahhhhahhhahahhah... You gotta give Batman an enema before you can whack him off and make him squirt! Batman was a kinky SOB, huh?

(Even wore a mask and spandex!)

30. Gromit

Gromit

I'm just not going to die. sorry, and If I'll do I'll haunt all my radio deletes :p

What my kids don't want I guess to my car freek buddy Paul. His wife won't like it and she'll want to kill me... but I'll already be dead. :)