Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help - '55 Chevy 235 in a '51 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, May 14, 2012.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Took my truck ('51 Chevy 3100 with '55 235 ci inline 6) out for a ride and it sounds like shit. Not smoking, but wanting to die something fierce. Had to feather the gas and play with the clutch to get her back to the house. I got her home and let it idle while I pulled spark plug wires and noticed a few cylinders don't seem like they are firing. Now, I'm getting ready to hit the auto part store and grab new plugs, points, condenser, cap, and rotor, simply because I don't know when they were last done. Last owner was not really a car guy, and didn't do much maintenance on the old girl. Going to try and do a compression test as well, but how the hell do you hook up the remote starter switch with a stomp start??? Where I need the most help is with timing the engine, and setting the gap on the points (what are they set to?). This is the first stove bolt I work on, so any help is appreciated. Also, I noticed the canister type oil filter is not hooked up. Anyone got some insight on how to hook this thing up. Not really wanting to run this thing with no oil filter.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. lucky ink

lucky ink

I had a dodge do that it was the choke give it gas it flooded it

3. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Anyone out there got anything?

4. 50'sThrowBack

50'sThrowBack
    from CA

Brand new points are set to .021 with a feeler gauge. Use a large screw driver to do the function that the foot operated pedal would do. There is a recent thread i started, its called "Chevy 235 runs like a tractor", Good luck.

5. Curt B

Curt B

A broomstick between the lever and firewall makes a fine remote starter.

6. inline 292

inline 292

When you pull them plug wires while running, stick a #2 phillips screwdriver in there & hold it near a ground & check for spark quality. Should be a fat blue spark capable of jumping close to 1/4".