Register now to get rid of these ads!

YES SIR May I have another.....The May 2012 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, May 1, 2012.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Posted this on the other May Banger meet...so I guess I will move it here.

Finally putting the new motor together for my '26 T roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

She looks very nice

3. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Get a vid!

4. RussTee

RussTee

Mr Model T is that a new paint job as well Clayton? We will be calling it all new soon!

5. ebtm3

ebtm3

Clayton-
    Still my favorite T!
    What's the deal with the lowered radius rods in the rear? Least ways that's what it looks like, parallel to, but lower than the drive shaft. Front end doesn't look like it is fastened to something substantial enough to drive the car. I'm missing something here----

Herb

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is a fresh coat on the chassis....the first its ever had. Last time, it was just black primer, so I figured it was time for some real paint.

It is all new...chassis and suspension wise is a totally new car...in a good way.

Herb,

What you are looking at is the exhaust mocked up temporally just for looks...they aren't my radius rods :D

...though I think I have had more people ask me that then anything else. :rolleyes:

Front end is plenty stout...over built a bit actually. Those wishbone plates on the frame are heavy plate that is reinforced and supported on the bottom of the frame as well as the outside. We also drilled and hot-riveted them to the frame...so they are NOT going anywhere.

7. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

OK guys, I have two neat old Autolite distributors that I rescued while helping clean out parts from an old estate ("Not stock Model A, you can have it if you want"). They have both been converted to be used in a Model A engine, and I think they are from Jeeps from the 50's or early 60's. Jim from Bubba's Ignition cleaned them up and spun them, and he said they should work great for Model A engines.

One distributor showed 24 degrees at 2400 RPM and the other showed 30 degrees at 3000 RPM, I only want to keep one so my question is how do I choose? What is the best application for these? Would the 30 degrees be better suited for a race engine or overhead? I know my FS is 28 degrees but I think it is all in at 1800 RPM or something like that? Would you start the 24 degree distributor at zero at idle, or would you advance it 5 degrees or so? Whaddyathink?

I will try to post some pics, they are neat little distributors.

Thanks,
    Will Kimble

PS: Anybody have an original dual updraft manifold they would consider selling? Or a Winfield updraft manifold?

8. I recently committed to purchase a 1930 Model A Tudor (left $ down, going to get it Saturday). My intentions are to run the banger, but install juice brakes and a dropped I-beam, then drive it.

While keeping the banger, I thought it'd be cool to find an aftermarket head (no OHV conversion) to give it a little pep and make it easier on the eyes.

Where would I start looking for such an item? Any recommendations on what to stay away from or migrate toward? Any other nifty tricks that I can do without draining my bank account?

Here it is as it sits.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Brett,

I have an extra '28 Chevrolet head if you want to do a Jern Thunderbolt conversion :)

10. Mac,

Enlighten me! "Jern Thunderbolt"? Sounds expensive!

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Almost any hop up you do to a babbit motor will get spendy eventually.. pehaps sooner than you think

I'm not saying ''don't'' only that you will pay :):)

12. RussTee

RussTee

Yep high compression and heavy flywheels dont go together

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

That T sure looks nice, guess it's the top that gives it that special look. Those are A brake and clutch pedals aren't they? Why are you using them? Bob [​IMG]

14. Neal Jern makes parts and/or a kit to put a '28 Chevy head onto either a Model A or T- never priced one out, but it's advertized as a poor man's Rajo.

OR you could put an Old 455 head on, like George Miller did... and I just happen to have a BUNCH of 455 heads from one of Brad54's swap meets :D! You'd have to slice the head in half and weld in a spacer, or see if Mr. Miller would make you one.

Are you coming down to Brad's swap this weekend? If you are, I could throw a couple heads in the back of my Hoopti-4runner :)

15. Mac

I'm staying local and picking up at least 1 of the 2 cars I bought last weekend. I WILL be at Shadyside next weekend for Steel in Motion, though. I'll have one of the above cars in tow......

Find me around the Iron Lords or pedaling around on my bike!

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

That top end really does change the look :D

They are Model A pedals. I cut and grafted them together with a set of T pedals for a change of look....and some more foot room :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The T pedals stick almost strait up through the floor boards...so you don't have much room to rest your feet. The A pedals give plenty of room.

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

It just so happens that Mr. Miller offered his Olds head for sale.

I was fortunate enough to be the first person to respond to his for sale add here on the HAMB. I should have it in a couple of weeks ! :D

18. VERY cool Crazy- gotta have "show and tell" soon (sorry, I just finished a rehearsal with the whole Kindergarten class) :)

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good morning Mac, found this last night and thought you'd like it. Never knew Roof made a downdraft intake port head for Chevy. This was in a 1929 Daytona program. Bob

Attached Files:

20. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

something i worked on last month....

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Anybody see this month's HRM? A neat GT28-powered Model A special is featured. Has an ARDUN head.

22. VERY cool, Bob- thanks for posting that ad!!!

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is yesterdays picture of the Dodge bros. I need to surface the valve cover as it leaks a lot. Thought I did that already. guess not. That's why it's sitting funny in the picture. Should kill this thread dead. Should fire it very soon. Then I can go on to me 28 Chevy engine. Hoping to receive a new timing gear in the mail soon for the Chevy.

Attached Files:

24. 97

Dead, Nah.... we all love hearing about your build !

I bet that when you get to Bonneville, those spectators with just enough knowledge to be dangerous will be heard to explain to each other that it is "a Model A motor with an overhead valve conversion in that 29 Ford" :D:D..... even if you do have large Dodge decals on it.;);)

Those that are not so knowledgeable will think it is a three cylinder motor.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is the bubble necessary to clear the Dodge Bros. M&B valve cover. My 32 Plymouth with 57 Ford head fit under the hood after I milled the fins off the top of my new Offy valve cover. The Dodge wasn't going to make it that easy.

Attached Files:

26. Well, this ain't about cars but I just got my Wayne Visible Top gas pump dated. It is a 1925! According to a collector in Canada. It was my stepfather's and I used to steal gas out of it F'n grandkids shot the aquarium with a BB gun!

27. noboD

noboD

Clayton, is that thing painted Chevrolet orange? Is that another go-fast mod?

28. 97

Ifor one am interested Bill ! Show us a pic, it couldn't be as far off topic as some stuff I've seen on the HAMB!!
    Take the replacement cost out of their hides!! What model Wayne is it Bill? 519, 619 ????
    There are replacement cylinders available but they are made of lexan or similar, and are a ridiculous price....about $200.
    I guess glass would be in the thousands!!

29. It is a 521, missing a couple parts. Saw an aquarium for $500 in Tx As far as grandkids they all point at "The other guy"

30. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I saw this over at the Barn. I was going to congratulate you on the score. I want to see some pics when you get it in!