Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had a dirt track date last night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, May 14, 2012.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I was at the Placerville, CA fairgrounds to attend a gold prospecting and mining summit and heard the sprint cars fire up in the evening. First time they nail the throttle after warm us is fu king awesome!

I'd forgotten how bad ass sprint cars are to watch on a dirt track, those guys have some serious driving skills and very large marbles. :D

It smelled like fried chicken and gasoline. :cool:

2. The Fanthom

The Fanthom
    from So indiana

....after my own heart! I love SCOTS and sprint car racing. Those of us in Cali and Indiana have some great racers!

3. I saw the outlaws at placeville .... right after the 4-abreast parade lap the front couple rows of spectators put on goggles and cover the top of there beer cups .... yeee-yaw... mud everywhere!

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yep, thats real racing!

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

does'nt get any better than dodging dirt clods,racing at it's best

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

@ d Russ, they run at Virginia motor speedway. I know they have regular shows cause we have debated on bringing our 305 sprint down. Just don't like the promoter. Now he's got his hand in some of the races up here in our local PA series. If anyone wants to see the best drivers and the most amount of sprints, ya gotta come to central PA and see the "PENNSYLVANIA POSSE"!!!!!

7. .....eliminations start at 8.....

8. greazy john

greazy john

ohio , pa , indiana is where you want to be for sprints, we used to go every weekend in ohio when we lived there....no sprints here in east tenn, miss them , nothing like the sound.....

9. Ya, nothing like drivin in da dirt. Here's my vintage dirt modified after coming in fifth.

Attached Files:

10. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

SCOTS reference indeed, however; it was more likely that you smelled "Fried Chicken
    and Methanol" Just saying. :)

11. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

There is nothing like that first sprint car slide through turn one...

12. our speedway wakes up the whole town nothing like hearing racing across town 2 miles away!

13. SlamIam

SlamIam

Yep, never get Nachos if you're going to sit at turn one.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The sprint car races are the only circle track races I go to anymore. They usually run during the State Fair at Yakima in the fall and there is a spot outside the 4th turn in the parking lot with big NO PARKING signs. The shiny El Camino that was power parked there wasn't too shiny after the races when one race was on. That Clay and mud flies a long ways.

15. demonspeed

demonspeed

@d-russ-

It doesn't look like they race there anymore. I vaguely remember hearing that they used to run 305 sprints there but I can't confirm that. I know the World Of Outlaw sprints used to race there, because I went last year. But it looks like even that is off the schedule now.

16. aircoup

aircoup

yeah same thing here in lakeport ca ,,

17. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

@ D Russ. Your probably right! I do know that the World of Outlaws is gonna be at Hagerstown Speedway this Sunday night.

18. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

We use to run the 360 class around here. It was great and I miss it but I don't miss blowing all that cash.

19. weathrmn

weathrmn

For us guys in Pa., N.J., N.Y., etc. 2 dates at Grandview Speedway to keep in mind.

May 23, Wed. :410 Sprints
    June 5, Tues.: USAC non wing sprints

20. Dans28Tdr

Dans28Tdr

We have an event at Kennedale Speedway this weekend for those interested in vintage dirt. We will hit the track before the features. Here is the flyer. Bring your vintage racing car if you have one.

Dan
    98 Vintage Modified
    Fort Worth, TX

Vintage Racing Car Show Flyer 051912.jpg

21. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Not many sprint races around here but I love me some dirt racing.

22. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

I'm lucky , I get to go every Friday to Lernerville Speedway here in PA and help a good friend with his sportsman car . Probably one of the nicest tracks in the state with a hell of a show every friday night with Sprints,Big block mods, Super lates and the Sportsmans. Nothing like all that horsepower and dirt in your fries and coke....Jim

P.S. I won a feature there too when I raced which was pretty cool

23. this is what we call a stockcar down here...
    this ones running a 245 hemi 6 with a 350cfm holley 2 barrel...500 cam.
    went good, sold it one a year ago...i miss the dirt..

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

24. my avatar is my previous car to that..running a 4l falcon 6,webber carb,speedway cam,big pistons taking it to 248ci...that car went real good....

25. sound great never seen the sprint car live but Hell yes let fire up the late model stock on Carolina dirt

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Even after 3 years without a Dirt Late Model in my garage, everytime I sweep the floor.... red dirt.

I had a Dirt Track date every friday and saturday night for most of my life. I miss it daily, (besides being so broke). :D SCOTS kick ass!

Here's a few we had.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  27. Lakeport is cool due to the "no wall" situation but if you get the chance hit Calistoga or Petaluma for the dirt scene

28. krooser

krooser

29. The Fanthom

The Fanthom
    from So indiana

I second that! Nonwing 410s in Indiana clay is a sight to behold!

30. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Yep, you beat me to it. Calistoga! I get tear-offs on my street. You gotta check out the Speedway page for the fairgrounds, they also have a nice vintage display at the last event of the summer. On Topic Offy's etc. Do it.