Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 El Camino project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El59Camino, Mar 4, 2012.

1. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670120
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670288

Few update pics for the project.
    Got the 348 valve seals replaced. Think it help for the smoking problem. Have to wait snow melting outside before good test drive.
    Rust repairing is going on right now. Got the small hole on the right side rocker panel welded. Right side rear fender and corner is under work. Much bigger job. Must replaced some inside sheet metal too. After right side is done next is drivers side floor pan.
    Slowly progress... New exhaust and tires just arrived other day...

Attached Files:

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

is that new rocker panel for a elky specific? if not you may have some fitment issues with it around the tail part. might want to check close before you cut. just sayin. good luck keep us posted

3. Domiracer66

Domiracer66
    from The Mil

4. Good project, I ve always liked the 1959 Elky. I think it is the best style of all.

5. GM wrench

GM wrench

Nice job, we are on the same page.

Attached Files:

6. I miss my old 59 El Camino, should have never sold it. I sold it and it went to Sweden, it was same color as yours, with grey primer spots where I had to do rust repairs.

The El Camino Store in Santa Barbara CA has a lot of the sheetmetal pieces you need. I had decent luck with the ones i purchased from them.

7. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Thanks everyone.

I bought specific El Camino panels from Eckler's El Camino Store, GA. What is Santa Barbara, CA store's address? Tried to google it.

Fender panel fitmet was no very good. Luckily I will only need to use bottom part of it and fender arc. Haven't welded or done sheetmetal work in 15 years so progression is slow:)

Some new parts arrived today. Need to get them out of the customs and see if I got correct parts. Shoud be CPP front brakes and steering box. And some special 59 Camino parts from Eckler's.

8. 60 ford

60 ford

9. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Some progress over the weekend. Inside right rear corner and fender rusted sheet metal replaced and new lower quarter panel is spot-welded.

Attached Files:

10. I think the store you are refering to is called "The El Camino Store" in Goleta, a little town just out of Santa Barbara .... they have a pretty good selection and prices are equal to ecklers

http://www.elcaminostore.com/

The Elky is looking good

11. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I thought the El Camino store isn't in Goleta anymore?

12. They arent, I am saying that the store he is thinking of. There website is still up and active but Ecklers bought them out.

13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I'm not trying to stir up any drama here, but if you re-read post #10 that is NOT what you said.

14. Sorry pal, I wont play.

15. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I'm not your pal, and this is not a game.

16. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Some update. All welding is done so far. New floor pan, rear corner and some patches ready. Next winter will replace rear floor pans and passenger side floor. Also installed new exhaust and rear brakes. Next CPP drop front spindle discbrake kit waiting for installation. And new steering box kit. Busy weekend ahead...

Attached Files:

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice work on the fender. i like the curved line approach. i may want to try that next time.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

looking good, you'll be done soon.

19. hemifarris

hemifarris

Nice El Camino. Take your time and don't cut corners............Take care

Mike

20. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Thanks everyone.
    I drove first miles yesterday and today. I think the car saw road first time in couple decades. Great feeling. Some electrical problems but solve them. Tomorrow I'll take the Camino to the inspection and hope to get Finnish plates.

21. Almost the same I did on my 59 El Camino. I had to do floor pans, and quarter panel repairs. Added dropped spindles, cut coils and disc brakes also, and put a 605 P/S box in. I had a 350 with 700R4 going to the stock rearend held with cut springs in the back. Made a custom driveshaft with the sliding rear section. I still miss it and should have never sold it :(

22. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Know the feeling. Should have kept every classic ride ever own. But had to let them go to get the new one.

23. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Inspection behind. Everything was ok. Will get plates after paying taxes.
    Drove about 50 miles today. Old 348+turboglide worked fine. Little koffing but I think that's 30 years old gas in the tank.

24. Mart

Mart

Nice work! Glad to hear it passed inspection ok.

Mart.

25. Here is mine, you can see the similarities. I sold it and it went to Sweden. I have not heard any more about it or if it still looks the same?

Attached Files:

Chainwheelausto likes this.
  26. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Looks pretty much same. Hope it got good home in Sweden. Probably it did. Swedes are great classic car builders.

27. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Drove about 100 miles last weekend. Great car to cruise around and did some stuff delivering too. Couple new trouble occurred. New CPP ragjoint is sloppy. And turn singal canceling cam broke up. And loose pieces did ground the horn and I was driving in the trafic horn peeping continuously. Well people in the bus stop had something to talk about...
    Well, I took all canceling cam system off. Now the blinkers work without canceling cam. For the new CPP ragjoint I quess I need to buy ragjoint replace kit. Annoying when you have to fix new parts.

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

mine looked just like yall's too, they were all red I think.
    [​IMG]

29. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

Nope... not all were red...!

Attached Files:

30. El59 How did you run your exhaust.

I currently have mine exiting in front of the rear tire. Not sure how to get it out the back without either going under the frame and dragging it, or getting awfly close to the tires on the outside of the frame.