Register now to get rid of these ads!

So what IS a lowball offer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, May 10, 2012.

1. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Agreed... if you aren't man enough to play, stay out of the game. Buying and selling REQUIRE negotiation. Just because someone makes a low offer doesn't mean that they have no interest in buying. It's simply a defense mechanism.

2. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

to answer your question...

a lowball offer is an offer that is "insulting to you".

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. A few things to note...I own a 1-800GOTJUNK? franchise and sell literally hundreds of items a year that I get off jobs, so I'm used to dealing with reselling to the general public.

Just to clarify...I don't get mad at lowball offers, hell no. If the offer is made in respectable manner, I just say no, sorry.

However, I have had idiots pace around whatever it is I'm selling, point out every little flaw, then puff up their chest and shoot me a stupid offer like they're pissed at me, to which my response is a polite fuck you, not because of the offer, but because they're being a dick.

I HAVE been in awe of some of the stupid things people from CL ask me...was selling a nice OT Toyota pickup, no rust, ran like a top, and some bozo asks me if I would sell him the bed. I replied that for my full asking price, he could have any part he wanted. He tried to convince me otherwise, and I bantered back and forth with the harlequin before I told him to go pound sand.

At the end of the day, bargaining is cool, sometimes fun, as long as you're cool and polite about it.

Chris

4. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

A lowball offer to me has everything to do with the person offering it. If the price he is offering isn't based on any measure of market value (retail price, resale price history for similar items, etc.) and just trying to squeeze every penny out of me that he can, I'd rather deal with someone else. I just sold a NIB crib to a new father for 1/3 of retail because it was all he could afford, but I stopped returning phone calls to one guy who offered 50% of my already 50% of retail price on a item, sight unseen, but wouldn't commit to buying it until after I drove to his house on the other side of the island with 30 min notice on a work day so he could inspect it.

5. XXL__

XXL__

Last week, a guy came to my house to pick up something I posted on CL. I had posted for $50. Not once did he balk at my price or counter-offer on the phone. When he got there, he looked over the part, said "I'll take it," and held out 2x $20 bills. I told him he'd need another $10. He then asked if I'd take $40. I handed him back his money and told him no thanks. To this point, he's been a little snakey, but the lowball tactic didn't realy bother me. Then, he starts fishing in his wallet, and pulls out another $20 and says that's all he has. I told him I'd take $60... or, (and I reached in my pocket) I have change (and pulled out a $10).

Don't try to snake me on my front porch. I have very little invested in the relationship, and you've driven across town to pick up something you apparently wanted.

Having said that, I price items TO SELL. I don't "pad" them as some suggest in this thread. If you want it at my posted price, let's deal. If you want to try to shave off a few bucks by underbidding, save your breath.

/2 cents

6. XXL__

XXL__

Wow! Last guy I knew who drove to the buyer was Mister Haney. Is that common practice in the islands? I'm thinking the buyer needs to come to me.

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

When some one low balls me. I tell them to try walmart they might have it for that price.

8. imperialman67

imperialman67
    from minnesota

Or in my case just being a realist .
    An old car that I was shopping on CL recently looked good in the picture
    It had no rust, had low miles and though it was priced a bit high for what it was , wasn't stupid.
    In reality the car checked out in person had a huge rear quarter dent ,and tires that looked to have been mounted sometime during the Jimmy Carter administration. I'm sure my adjusted and refused offer had me labeled as a
    lowballer:D

9. modeleh

modeleh

It doesn't always work that way. There is a new mall nearby here that some stubborn fool kept refusing the offers of the developer, until they got tired of him and built the parking lot around his house. Now his place is worth way less than what they had been offering.

10. there is no such thing as a lowball offer. there's only an offer not accepted because the seller believes he can get some other sucker to pony up the cash. Most sellers are way too proud of their stuff, and feel the buyer should pay for the privledge of buying something they own. What makes your parts, your car, your anything worth what you're asking? The market does. The market doesn't give a damn that you spilled blood, ate beans and let your kids run around barefoot. And why should they?
    When i'm looking at your car, I don't care what you had to do to get it this way. If it's that great, why ain't you keeping it? If you need the money, why is that my fault?
    Most sellers price their shit way too high because their emotions or stupid friends have helped with the price setting. If the price is that good, one of the friends should by it.
    If I lowball, and I DO on a regular basis, I'm prepared to buy right there, right then. I'm also prepared to go up or down as the haggeling goes on. If the seller isn't willing to leave a little meat on the bone, then he can keep trying to sell it.
    Anybody hurt by a lowball offer better not sell anything anytime, anywhere.
    The only lowball offer is the one where the buyer doesn't have the cash to back it up.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I must be living in a lowball world, never have been in the $1,000+ per item world at a swap meet. I would think anything less than half the asking price was lowball. I do sell at Hershey, and the stuff I bring is about worthless. It is great fun to have a guy throw out a REAL Lowball offer and watch his experssion when I say "Sure, that's fine!" Most times his buddies start laughing at him, double the fun if it is a heavy greasy lump. Bob

12. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

If I'm at a swap meet, garage sale, ad, etc., and I'm buying I feel the seller out and see if they will take a lower, or a lot lower price. I would not insult them with a real lowball offer if I think they will not take it.
    Same thing if I'm selling something. I've had next to nothing offers for things I was selling and I just tell them no and end the conversation!
    Make a resonable offer and lets bargin...

13. lots of good advice on here. i want the best deal and start low. sorry if i insulted you...its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

14. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

To me "lowball" offers are those made based ot the "scrap" value of a car, etc. or in the hope that you'll just "let them have it".

A lot depends on the attitude of the buyer -- if they're honestly wanting something and seem to be making the best offer they can it's okay with me, we can deal.

But the jerks who make you feel like they're just trying to get over on you are the one's I don't like.

I've make a couple of "lowball" offers but usually explain up front that I know it's worth more but that's the best I can do, hope they get their price but let me know if they don't, etc.

15. I guess a low ball depends on the situation. I was selling a 4x4 3/4 ton truck that the flexplate was bad. I was sick it was winter and I did not want to lay in the driveway. In my news paper ad I made it a point to say and pay for in bold no dealer inquiries.

I was asking what one of the drive units would have sold for and it was advertised as a parts truck as is where is.

I get this call and the fella says what's it going to take to make it pass inspection and get it on the road. I ask him if he is a dealer and he says no absolutely not, so I told him the reason I quit driving it is because the flex plate is bad and I am too sick to work on it. He shows up with a trailer and his "friend". The open things, wiggle things etc for about an hour as I am standing out in the cold. He turns to me and offers me 1/3 what I am asking for it if I will get it running and inspected for him.

I say, Naw it is a parts truck as is where is and turn and walk into the house. he knocks on the door so he can give me his card for his used car dealership incase I change my mind.

That was a low ball price.

I did sell it for full price to an off road guy the next day. No dickering at all, he said it was worth twice what I was asking easily.

16. takid455

takid455

Glanced through this thread and jogged some thoughts of my own based on experiences.

1) Haggling is fun. Sometimes it quick other times its entertaining while other times it may fail.

2) I feel the art of haggling has dwindled especially with the younger crowd.

The below quote is funny and I have done it myself. More on the times the 'buyer' is simply kicking tires.

Who says 'better' has to be in favor of the buyer???

I understand if you pile multiple items together and ask the seller for a package deal. At the same time, I would have a number in my head for that package.

When selling cars and get the above question, I simple state the original price and ask the seller to make and offer if I feel they are legit. Not sure about others, but I know within a few minutes of looking at a car or part what I am willing to pay. If that number is lower or roughly equal, a sale is made. A lot of it has to do with the 'feel' between both parties and the situation.

17. fbama73

fbama73

Lowball offer:

To a seller- anything below asking price

To a buyer- doesn't exist.

18. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

That's FUNNY!