Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake shoes use or not..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Plymouth, May 9, 2012.

1. Plymouth

Plymouth

Have a 1960's vehicle that I bought that uses brake shoes they look great . Problem is they sat on a car since 1990 ? , is it Ok to use them or not.. and if not why..

Thanks

2. There's a good chance they're fine.
    That also means there's a chance they ain't.

Why would you risk it ? 60.00 for new shoes too much ?

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Inspect them carefully. If they are not rusted or soaked in grease or brake fluid, if the lining is not peeling loose from the shoe, and they are thicker than a nickle they should be OK.

4. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I'm going through the brakes on my latest thing that I've dragged home and on the rear the shoes don't look bad so I'm just rebuilding the cylinders and leaving them at least until I know if the rear end is any good. No idea how old these are but I would bet they have been on the car a very long time judging by the rest of the car.

No use throwing away $60 if I end up having to replace the rear end.

5. belle

belle

just curious , are the linings bonded or riveted?

6. are you redoing the wheel cylinders, i would worry about them before the lining.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Old shoes may be better than the junk you get from Chinatown these days.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not worth the risk.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If the shoes aren't rusty/crusty and the linings are riveted rather than bonded(glued) I wouldn't feel too bad about using them. The brake drums need a good look and a measurement, perhaps turning, and I'd sure check the wheel cylinders for any sign of leakage. Be very cautious the first time out and do a brake check afterward.

It wouldn't hurt to replace the master cylinder with a dual reservoir one from the late 60s-early 70s. Cheap insurance without too much work.

10. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Change the shoes AND the steel brake lines as well.

Don't risk someone else's life to save $60.

11. My Hudson had sat since the mid 70' when I bought it in 2005. I pulled the drums and there was plenty of shoe left. They are still on it today with no problems. All other brake parts were replaced or rebuilt.

12. Anderson

Anderson

I got some cool chromed F1 brakes and put them on my hot rod...they came loaded, but it was older stuff. The shoes looked great but they were obviously not brand new. With about 10 miles of driving on them, one came apart (not riveted...glued) inside the drum. I still had three other working brakes but that was not fun.

If there is any doubt....there is no doubt. Replace them.

13. Road Runner

Road Runner

First time I paid for a pair of brake shoes was $30 over a decade ago at the local Autozone store.
    They came with a lifetime warranty and I replaced them ever since for free, whenever its time.
    Did the same deal 5 years ago with my next ride.
    They actually have a very long lasting material that has never failed me.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Old shoes aint gunna kill anything other than a brake drum, if they are riveted i'd use 100 year old ones if they dont look bad....

15. F&J

F&J

X2, man, some people actually think a new offshore POS is safe? I have seen new bonded shoes peel in a day.

Old riveted shoes are way better than taking a chance on shit new parts.

I have places where I get old replacement parts that are new...but old.

16. wayne-o

wayne-o

As said already, if they aren't riveted definately get a new set. I had a bonded set on my sedan since 1980 and had a wheel cylinder leaking I did not know about. Took the car out and after 20 miles on the freeway when I went to stop the lining came off the shoe. Got interesting!!!

17. They should be okay, but I tend to throw away anything that attaches to the backing plate if I don't know the pedigree of it.

Bob

18. GDoug76

GDoug76

Measure them in several places with a mic to see if they are worn even

19. It sounds like some of you should drive only new cars! Where do you draw the line replacing things just because of it's age? How old was the asbestos at the time it was made into brake shoes?
    If they appear fine see how well they function.

~Alden

20. Kramer

Kramer

Asbestos would be my only concern with that age of shoe, IF they are riveted as others have said, and are solid. I'm not saying not to run them because of the chance of asbestos, I'm saying just be careful and don't breath any of the dust when cleaning things up.

21. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

If you have old brakes, replace the rubber lines!
    They would probably be the first place to see complete brake failure.

22. If the brakes work use 'em. Don't be a pussy. Do a few panic stops and you'll know.

23. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Quote,
    "If the brakes work use 'em. Don't be a pussy. Do a few panic stops and you'll know."... That you just killed the neibors child because of your macho image.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What makes you think that strictly age would cause an inspected and good looking brake shoe to suddenly become a danger to society? As everyone else has stated I'd be more afraid of old hydraulics than old shoes. The don't rot. They don't absorb moisture from the air as the fluid does. I've had lots of cars come into the shop with pieces of the lining missing. It still stops. It costs money when the drum needs to be replaced but it does not endanger the entire Easter seaboard as you infer. I don't get the fear.

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is not a valid test to determine if shoes are good or not. If the drum is worn to a larger diameter than stock, the shoes will be thinner in the middle than at the top and bottom. Good brake shops used to grind NEW shoes to match the diameter of the drum in order to insure a full contact patch.

As far as running what's on the car, as long as they look good, do it. I've got a 1937 Buick that has at least 42 year old brake shoes on it, and it will lock up all four quite easily, I don't worry about those old shoes failing.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Old brake linings from back when they used asbestos, work better than new ones. More effective friction, better control and less squealing. We had a lot of problems with the new linings on older model cars when they first came out. Now all the cars are designed for them. But old cars will work better with the old linings, if you can find them.

27. Kramer

Kramer

Known as arcing the brake shoe. Now they come "pre-arced". Not sure how they know the actual diameter of wear your drums may have?:D

28. I Drag

I Drag

I do brake jobs every day. Linings come either riveted or bonded depending upon application. Neither is "better". If your old shoes look ok visually, by all means use them. Brake shoes do not "go bad" due to age.

29. burnout2614

burnout2614

Condition is everything. peace