Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK, why, an inliner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Jan 31, 2012.

1. magneto57

magneto57

Inliners are so coooooooooool..........!!

2. inlinr6

inlinr6

I just like them...

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

WOW! :eek: Please give us a link to see and read more about this Chevy coupe. Pretty damn awesome. :cool: ......................................................

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I Like your #6 on the car.

Here's another #6 Studebaker Champion fuel injected

Attached Files:

5. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

This chevy was the bad ass mofo at the hamb drags last year. The first time he lit it up was truly a life experiance. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. bigeasy

bigeasy

I like the look of simple. I've deconstructed my 52 Chevy 3100 from 12 volt to 6 volt. Removed resistors, switched out the battery, coil, generator, heater motor, dome, instrument, head, tail, turn lights for all 6 volt parts.

It has a 216ci with 4 on the floor in it - runs just fine. Old and slow. sorta like me haha.

I have a '46 Chevy Panel Truck with a crate SBC 350 HO, Willwood disc brakes, Heidits front and rear suspension, ford rack and pinon power steering, PRC radiator with a 16" Spal fan and shroud - putting in a March Performance Revolver serpentine in it next month..truth be told - all that is, is a *yawn* factor

Of the 2 trucks - it's the one with the 6 inline that folks like to stop, look, smile, talk or gawk at the most.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Many moons ago as an Army SP4 in Germany some buds and I snuck into the F2 pits at Hockenheim. When the mechs started warming up the motors it was magic, a bunch of snarling DOHC I-4's sounding like mini-Ferrari's. And with mechanical tachs, snapping back and forth between idle and 6K it was like a scene from the movie Grand Prix. The first time I heard a Honda 750 I thought it was a F2 car! Loved the sound ever since. If and when I get my 2.0 Ecotec turbo done, I hope it sounds a lot like a Busa with a sore throat. Gary

Last edited: May 1, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  8. XXL__

XXL__

It won't. I've got an LNF powered hooptey running a GT35R. Open or closed exhaust, it doesn't have that high-rev sound to it. Probably because the motor has a "square" bore and stroke and isn't a big spinner like the F2 motors. It'll still be fun, though!

9. Oh look another 350!!! BORING! I love my Hudson flattie 6. Getting ready to put a dual range hydramatic behind it to gain a couple mph on the highway.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

here's my 200 CID in my 62 Ranchero

[​IMG]

11. Traditional enough Ryan let it run at the HAMB drags. Always been in awe of that thing.

I know a few here know the owner. Any way to get in touch with him? I have some turbo questions

12. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

I like 'em. Had a handful of v8's and wanted something different. I have a slant six in my daily (avatar pic). It will be fast one day. I wish they made some cool lookin mutli- carb slant six intakes. We have a stock slant six in a '65 valiant. If you mash the pedal to the floor it will peel the 1 tire for quite a distance. Stock. It's that torque! Hey, what about Barney Navarro building that insane Rambler 6 for his dragster in the '60's or 70's? I read something about him thinking that was the best design to handle the stress of the crazy h.p. they were trying to get out of it.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. XXL__

XXL__

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

Wow, those are sick. I've only seen a 4 bbl offenhauser. Too cool, I gotta get me one a those 2 carb setups, seems way cooler that a super six intake. Thanks for those pics man.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Oh, man. Ya needed to let me down easy. How about some giant playing cards in the spokes and some big-ol clothes pins! Gary

16. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

I just did a retune on my little 195 CID straight 6 banger :)

put down 640hp 702 tq on a mustang dyno.....

so thats like 736 hp and 807 tq at the crank :D

17. t bomber

t bomber
    from nb

had to post my 216

[​IMG]

18. farna

farna

Navarro also ran that six at Indy. I don't think it ran but a couple years, and never finished. Heck, it might not have run, but did qualify at least once. 650 hp with 30-35 pounds of boost from one big turbo, 750 hp with mechanical injection.
    http://www.wps.com/AMC/Navarro-turbo-motor/index.html
    http://www.wps.com/AMC/Navarro-Indy-motor/index.html

Navarro liked that block because it was stout with seven mains and smaller than the Ford 240/300 block. The block was sleeved down to 182 inches. I think that was because of rules for turboing back then, had to be under a certain size to run the boost he wanted.

Clifford Research has those three Weber intakes for the AMC six as well as the Ford 240/300, and some other parts like headers and cams. Not cheap, but where else ya gonna get them? Wouldn't be hard to roll your own Weber intakes with steel flanges and tubing. Got a plasma cutter, or know someone with one?

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I like the looks and performance - and price value - of the Holley 2Vs:

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you to ask why,well there is no way to explain it. It is just one of those mystries of the univirce.

21. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I get some guys telling me I should replace my 194 6 in my Acadian with a SBC....and make it like most other Acadian/Novas? Not as long as I own it!

I am so happy with my near stock (re-built) 6, runs great, good gas mileage, and I think it sounds great. I'm not a speed guy, it has enough speed and power for me.

Attached Files:

22. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: May 6, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  23. farna

farna

I'm building a six for my Jeep J-10 pickup now. Instead of the AMC 258 it had I'm looking for a 232. It's mainly a street truck/trash hauler, no heavy hauling or towing. I want the smaller motor for mileage, but intend to stick a small turbo on it for more power. Was going to turbo the 258 (and might end up that way), but it just occurred to me that with the turbo supplying boost kind of early the smaller motor would be better. I'd build a 199, but the 64-70 AMC six block has a 1/8" lower deck height and would require special pistons to use a 199 crank. I plan on using stock cast pistons and limiting boost to 5-6 psi. Not building a power house, more interested in good power along with good economy.

24. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

I would NOT run stock cast pistons, unless you want to rip 'em up :D

I would put a set of H beams (like eagles) and some JE pistons with studs to make sure you aren't going to nuke anything..... boost is a stupid thing. you SAY 5-6 psi...... but it won't stay there for long, and you'll be kicking yourself about not building it right the first time :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. farna

farna

Oh no, this is going to be a daily driver, not a play truck! Strictly low boost. The stock pistons will take around 10-12 psi, but I don't even want to risk that. I'm not a power hungry kind of guy, I'll be fine with 5-6 psi most likely, but might push it to 10. Yeah, I know, sounds like I'm going up already!! But the stock pistons will be a limiting factor, and that's one reason I'm keeping them. Might use ARP rod bolts, but the stock AMC rods are good. The six cylinder rods are the same as V-8 rods -- 258 and 360 share the same casting, the big ends are machined a bit narrower for use on the V-8. Not sure about the 232 rods, but I think they are shared with the older 343 V-8 as well. I know a couple people who have run 12-14 psi with stock pistons, but I want some leeway!

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. worken2much

worken2much

To the op,

A Ford 300 is aprx. 60 lbs lighter than a Chevy 327. Look it up, or I weighed one of each as I have both in the shed. A 300 also has from the factory:
    Forged rods
    Seven main bearings
    Gear driven cam

Any Ford 300 with fuel injection has just dandy two piece, dual outlet exhaust manifolds. IE: cast iron headers for around 50 - 75 bucks.

A high volume oil pump, some 390 hypers, (cheap, like $150 or less for a set of 8) a used intake & deck the block for compression increase. Any v8 within relative cubic inch same-ness & similar state of tune is gonna be awfully busy staying ahead.

BTDT
    Worken2much

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. farna

farna

I can vouch for that! A local dirt tracker ran a hopped up 300 six against 302s and 305s and was consistently finishing in the top five, with a few wins thrown in. Pissed those V-8 boys off! They only made it take the head off once though, after they had to pay for that they just grumbled.... and one saw him at the track then packed up and left!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I've been kicking around building my 235 ( or another one while I drive mine ) or going with a V8 of some sort.

Still kicking it around, but reading this makes me want my 235 even more.
    Not sure what sort of power I can get from it without a ton of money, but I should be able to make it a fun cruiser with a good sound and be able to take it on the freeway for a long road trip!

29. I gotta admit I wasn't too into straight sixes til i bought a car with one. And I was going to swap it out but....now I think it looks pretty cool. :cool:
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

250 chevy inline 6+th350=22mpg highway in 54 ford going 80. helps alot when gas is over 4 bucks a gallon