Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's ridden in a Touring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mohr hp, May 5, 2012.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Do you get beat up by air in the back seat? Do those tops get crazy at 70 M.P.H.? I've heard wind wings will help with buffeting. I've owned 2 roadsters, but now we have 3 kids so...

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, yes and yes... Wind wings will be your friend on this deal, trust me.

3. What Chip said, it is a 4 wheeled harley

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh, a zip out rear window panel helps allot with the high speed stuff too.

5. Take a warm coat....even in San Diego in the spring!

6. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

1914 Buick, not sure it would go 70mph. It was a fun 90 minute ride that I'll never forget.

Blind Elwood

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Might ask you this; what year touring or pheaton we talking about? I say this 'cause there is a major difference between riding in a '25 and a '35...

8. Only touring I ever rode in was a bone-stock 1918 Model T touring that had been in my mother's family since new, belonged to my grandfather's cousin. The car was bought new in Buford GA and had been out of Gwinnett and Hall Counties one time in its entire life.

9. ravedodger

ravedodger

Been in a couple t tourings the wind isn't too bad thundering along at 35.

10. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Need louvers, please elaborate?

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, it kinda dawned on me that Fords open four door cars Feel different in different eras. I have ridden around in the back seat of a buddies '27 touring with the top up and been beaten senseless by the wind, whereas I have spent many a mile in the back of another friends '35 pheaton with the top up and got there with out a hair out of place. Ford called their cars tourings up until '27, phaetons after that. Some people use touring as the generic...

12. verde742

verde742

In 1970, I made a 2 door Phaeton from a '29 two door sedan,, took 2-3 kids all over the NW, every weekend, in the back seat, they complained then. Fast forward 40 years, now they rave about all the GOOD TIMES we had in Dad's Hot Rod !!!
    White with flames, and ruby red upholstery, Chev V8, Big and Little 16 inch painted red wires...

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

1912 was the first year Ford offered doors on the front, even if the one on the drivers side was fake and never opened until the 1926 Models came out. Note how Ford spelt the forward doors Fore not four. Not a bad deal for $690.00. :) Bob

Attached Files:

14. fossiltin62

fossiltin62

I own several tourings. The oldest is a 1914 Overland, the newest is a 1922 Moon 640. I wouldn't want to be going 70mph in any of them unless I was mighty dang tired of living and had an entire 4 lane road to myself, though a couple of them WOULD run that fast, especially the Moon. Normally I put the top down when I'm on a tour. Doesn't matter if it rains, you're going to get your ass wet top or no top. When I want to fly, I get in the GTX.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Just got home from day trip in my '35 phaeton. The top does flop around at 60mph and wind wings definitely do help. I keep the side curtains behind the back seat just in case. No wind up windows or heater and sound of the SBC on the open road. :cool:

16. Definitely need seat belts in the rear seat of a touring for the kids so they won't get blown out at hiway speed. Really get buffetted back there. Top up is like dragging a chute behind. Zip down back window really helps. Pat

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

My daughters didn't complain while riding in the back of this big Pierce Arrow.

Attached Files:

18. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

My Dad's 28 phaeton was used in many a wedding......didn't want to miss up the bride's hair! A good Santa Ana would blow faster than that banger would go!

19. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Thanks for the replies folks, looks like tubs are fun.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think Verde 742 probably said it best back up the page. The kids bitched about it when they were kids, but wouldn't trade the memories for anything. Adversity builds strength, stuff like that. My mom used to refer to such things as "lovingly applied, pre-emptive child abuse"...

21. My Tub top at speed.

[​IMG]

22. R Pope

R Pope

Hey, neighbour, I think I saw your T cruising around MJ one time I was down there!
    I'm building a fenderless version with a flathead, I hope you guys are right about the wind! 'Course, I won't be riding in the back seat.

23. Wooly

Wooly

Spent a lot of time in the back of a 1915 Model T Touring growing up. Even if it was a little windy you didn't notice or mind it if it was warm out.
    But coming home from Marin Co. over the Golden Gate Bridge to San Francisco after
    a tour if the Fog was in (which was a lot) it could get mighty chilly back there.
    There were four of us kids in the back seat and it would be a scramble getting jackets
    on and we had a big blanket. We would hunker down on the back seat floor with the blanket over us.
    That was 46 yrs. ago and the car is still in the family.

Dodge

24. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

You mean you weren't strapped into an approved child car seat? Seriously, where have all the tubs gone? I figured there had to be something inherently bad about them, cuz I just don't see 'em.

25. tjm73

tjm73

Perfectly apt use of the word fore. You can have fore and aft doors. Nautical terminology cross over baby.

I think many of them were turned into roadster pickups by dropping everything behind the driver.