Register now to get rid of these ads!

rebel wire horn relay ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rick3658, May 4, 2012.

1. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

I installed rebel 9 plus three every thing is great until now. I have been try to get grant horn button to work with now luck. new gm column 3196 install kit per grant push button hot to center and ground to bolt no go. I ohm'd black wire and good coming out bottom of column but when test with test light no power,,,,,, only thing i can think of is relay not sure how to test or what replacement to buy please any help this thing is kicking my ass. thanks guys

2. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

call rebel.he'll know

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

This is coincidental. Today, I finished installing the Rebel HotRod 9 + 3 harness. Didn't fire the engine up because the drivetrain and radiator have no fluids yet. All the electrics worked regarding hi-beams, lo-beams, turn sigs, brake lights, wipers, except the horn. I cut the wire to the horn/column while the horn was honking before tearing out the old harness and the horn stopped honking, all to make sure it was the horn wire. Did this with all the column wires, too. The Rebel wire diagrams/charts indicate their harness has a Lt Green wire for the horn. My Rebel harness came with a black wire labelled horn. I suspect the relay or black wire causing the horn not to honk. The horn worked fine before. Plan to call Rebel in the morning.

4. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

dont know if im pointing out the obvious but you do realize there is a hot feed to the horns (usually a green) a hot that feeds the relay and a ground that completes the circuit (usually goes to the horn button)

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The way a horn is normally wired when using a relay is that the ground wire from the relay snakes up through the column and activates the relay when you ground out that wire by pushing the horn button. What you can do to test your system is to touch that wire to a known ground and see if the horn blows. If it does then what you have is a problem in the button itself not making contact or not getting a good chassis ground.

Don

6. Never had much luck with grant steering wheel horn buttons to work consistantly. If they don't work it's like Don said, it's a bad ground which is grounding to make the horn go all the time or works when it wants to. My steering wheel always squeaked to. Junk. Wound up putting a button on the dash.

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Don't know if it's like my '54 Ford the contact wire inside the column comes out by the steering box I ran that wire to the ground side of the horn and a separate fused 12V lead to hot.Honk the Grant horn button and it works fine.

8. I wired mine up with an outside relay.

9. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

I did email rebel last night still have not hear back. i had horn working with button on dash but can not make it work on column. green wire from fuse box goes ???? right now all i have is horn grounded to frame and green wire hooked up to horn and to black from column as I write this something is wire wrong but just cant put fingure on it

10. When you ground the black wire at the column do you hear or can you feel the relay kick in? Have you checked the fuse in the panel for the horn?

11. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

when i grounf it there is nothing and checked all fuses the green horn wire from fuse box hooks to blach at column ???

12. If I remember correctly the light green wire goes up to the horn button via the black of the gm column wiring and the green wire goes out to the horn from the relay. So if you ground the light green you should see the relay close and have power at the green which should have been in your front section wiring bundle. Ground the light green and see if you can light a test light off of the green wire to ground.

13. Cerberus

Cerberus

Rick- Spoke with Bob at Rebel Wire today. Bob said the 9 + 3 harness had a LT Green wire to column, at one time labelled Horn, but Rebel changed it to a BLACK wire labelled HORN because most columns have a black wire for the horn. Some Fords have a yellow wire in column for the horn that connects to the Rebel black wire.
    Bob said to check to see if DK GREEN wire for power to horns is wired up correctly. Can check to see if horns work by running a wire from battery to horn. Then, check to see if black wire labelled HORN is wired up correctly (in your case to black wire on column). Push horn button, this should ground the horn and honk it. Ground completes circuit to horn.

EUREKA! Just found the problem why the horn didn't honk with the Rebel Wire harness. My car has an aftermarket steering Wheel by NARDI. Pulled the horn button and there are two red wires. One is hot, the other is ground. There were two wires left over after wiring to column. One is blue coming from the column, and I grounded it. Pushed the horn button and it honked! Problem solved. Maybe the Grant wheel is similar?

Last edited: May 5, 2012