Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bennydog, May 3, 2012.

1. bennydog

bennydog
    from Corona

Hey guys what is the best/ safest way to remove pinstripe off the top of the clear coat.. i want just the pinstripe off not anything else haha.. thanks in advance

2. Easy Off, in the Yellow can.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've never gotten easy off to work. I always end up with the 1500grit and the buffer

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Unkl Ian is right, oven cleaner works well for this. If you use the spray type spray some into the cap and brush it on with a small paint brush. After a minute wipe it off with a damp rag and wash with soap and water. Oven cleaner will remove the striping paint but not injure the paint underneath as long as you don't leave it on too long.

5. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I'm in the sign business and sometimes need to remove painted on lettering, stripes, etc. The best results for me is to use a foam buffing pad and compound. It takes a while, but seems to do the least damage.

6. Willy301

Willy301

If the stripes are paint, then you will have to listen to these guys, but if it is tape, a little bit of heat from one of those industrial hairdryers is the ticket...Notice I said a little bit of heat. Some of those heat guns can blister paint or warp a panel if you don't keep moving...and a plastic putty knife will keep you from burning your fingers, but don't get it near the heat gun...it will be like shooting pool with a rope....

7. Easy Off is USUALLY the preferred method but there are some caveats:
    If you are trying to remove a red pigmented color on white or other light color be warned that 1-Shot will likely have stained the base paint.It is also dangerous to use this method on alklyd enamel;single stage paint or nitrocellulose lacquer.Urethanes don't seem to be affected very much but always try an out of the way spot to make sure it doesn't soften the paint.
    The main reason I don't like using a buffer;especilly on clear coats,is you can't tell how much paint you're removing and if you burn through the clear you're in deep doo-doo.
    You also need to know what type of paint was used for the striping.1-Shot and Ronan are essentially alklyd enamel and can be carefully removed by using a product called Meguiar's(or equivalent) Heavy Oxidation Remover;used to restore finishes on boat gel coats.Be warned it is abasive and there is a chance it will take off too much if you're over-zealous with it.Best way is to put a bit on a soft cloth wet with wax and grease remover and rub gently DIAGONALLY across the stripes;changing the surface frequently and cleaning off to judge progress.
    If it's urethane;I have no suggestions for removal.

8. easy off oven cleaner.. i have applied it several times and keep rubbing on it.. after done, take rubbing compound and polish it off.. done...

9. JasonHehn

JasonHehn

My Captain used nail polish remover to take his unwanted stripes off then buffed it out. Worked like a charm with no other damage.