Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever have buyers remorse and try to make the seller give your money back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, May 1, 2012.

1. JonF

JonF

Simple. Fuck 'em.

2. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

It's pretty much all been said, all I can add is this, Anyone who pays good money for something they haven't looked at personally deserves whatever they get.

3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't this simply " common sense"?[/QUOTE]

Once upon a time, yes.

4. Buyer beware...........

5. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

So why is the guy so mad?
    What are specifically his complaints?
    Did he say something was not disclosed ?

Or did he just decide he liked purple better than black?

Lots of pages here, but if you bring it up please give all the facts.

Can't really comment without the facts.

Sincerely.

6. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Actually. Please post your ad and pictures here.
    Then the facts can speak for themselves.

Not trying to give you a hard time at all, I just like to always see all the facts before I make a comment.

7. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

If I make a deal, I stick to it. If they misrepresented the car, that will be a different outcome. Just because I may have buyers remorse is no reason to put that mistake on the seller. Man up, lick your wound and learn from it.

If I sell a car, they got an honest description, nothing hidden and a fair price. I will not refund a penny because you have sand in you 'gina and now changed you mind. You bought it, you paid for it, it's yours.

When I'm selling to somebody out of state I tell them "if you spend $500 to look at it and it's not the car for you, money well spent, if you spend the same $500 to look at it and it's exactly the car for you, money well spent!"

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. Squablow

Squablow

9. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I had the car in the classifieds on here. He didn't see my listing here but my wording is basically the same

His main issue with the car is the motor. Although it runs great, it turned out to be a 305 instead of a 350. I never ran the numbers on it, the guy I got the car from said it was a 350. Not a performace motor by any means with a 2 barrell carb. I was planning on putting a 55' 265 V8 and powerglide back in that were in a 4dr 55 I have. That's how the car originally came.

There was some more rust than could be seen in the various parts of the car. Short of X-raying the car how was I supposed to describe this. I took the car in trade and sold it exactly like I got it.

10. sbakar

sbakar

Until this thug dealer files a civil complaint against you in a Wisconsin court having jurisdiction over where the transaction occurred, it's just extorsion. I put chances of that happening at slim to none and slim just left town. Filing his beef with you in court would become public knowledge and surely tarnish his good name.

People like that have something special waiting for them on the other side.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The purchase contract was sent with the check, according to the OP. Is that still "after the fact"? Even when I buy a car at a dealer, the contract is signed the same time the check is handed over. I wouldn't tear it up.

12. putz

putz
    from wisc.

a man is his word ,what does that tell you?

13. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

It's a done deal, you did your part. Tell him to kick rocks.

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

A used car goes like this , You bought it , you own it !
    Now if you lied about the conditions and said it had things that weren't on or with the car then he can take legal action .
    KEEP ALL EMAILS THAT HE SENT TO YOU AND ALL EMAILS YOU SENT TO HIM ! That is all the proof you have and need .
    Personally I would tell him I will see you in court , PERIOD !
    Honestly I wouldn't worry too much . It's just someone else wanting a better deal than he already bought !

Retro Jim

15. Nice nomad! I dont understand what the hell he is complaining about!

16. chris' 38

chris' 38

heard these words from a judges mouth once-

If you know the car has issues when you sell it and do not disclose these issues with buyer, or if the car isn't what you say it is, you may be held responsible. It doesn't matter if you gave the seller an as-is bill of sale. If buyer can prove seller knew of issues before hand he may have a case.

If you advertised the car as having a 350 and it doesn't he might have a case.

17. Bought, sold, traded over 300 vehicles since I got my first car at 15, 40yrs ago, never gave anyone their money back. As long as you do not put a warranty in writing, or misrepresent the description and make darn sure the buyer understands "as is", in writing, you have no worries. I have lost deals on being 100% honest and I sleep better at night for it.

Now if that car dies on the buyer 5 minutes after they leave your driveway then you probably should be nice.

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

As a Pennsylvania lawyer, I'd like to clarify something--- you can sell something "As-Is". What you cannot do is say (advertise, etc.) something wrongfully and then expect that your little "as-is" clause will get you off the hook.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  19. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

After getting my fingers burnt i will never buy a car unseen or not checked over and i prefer not to sell a car unseen. There's way too many things that can turn to shit. My last car has just gone overseas (the guy begged me, literally) and luckily he was over the moon with his buy and everything went 100%. I was nervous about selling it without him seeing it and didn't spend a penny of the money until he called me. This time i was lucky though it's definatly the last time i sell a car unseen. Especially reading posts like this.

On a flip side to this i have actually talked quite a few folks out of buying cars or bikes i've had for sale as i knew they were either making a huge mistake or the car/bike was just wrong for them. When i sold my first T roadster i had one guy that came to look at it and he couldn't make his mind up. Nothing to do with price or the car, he just couldn't decide if it was for him or not. I told him to jump in his car and go home. I wasn't rude to him i just said he would have known the moment he first saw the car, if it was right for him. You shouldn't have to think about a car that much to know if you like it or not. He did jump in his car and a week later i got a call of him telling me he'd bought an MG and thanks for not giving him the hard sell as he would have bought it if i'd talked him into it and his wife would have killed him:D.

20. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

Think of it this way, you shook hands on your end of the deal as well, and you're admitting the car wasn't as described. Do you think that's fair?

I think you might be on the hook a little bit for the motor, assuming the buyer is honest about it being a 305. "As-is" only goes so far when you make claims about condition - If the buyer relies on your claims to make a decision, and then is "damaged" as a result...that's the gray area where lawyers live.

21. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This only applies if seller knew, or should have reasonably been expected to know, that the engine was really a 305. Sounds like it was an honest mistake.

How many of you looked at the picture of the motor and pointed out its displacement? If you did, I must have missed that post.

22. The worst case of buyers remorse is selling to a friend or family. Even if you give a car to a friend or family member, it seems they think the car has lifetime warrenty and they let you know about every issue. I have learned my lesson and don't even offer a lug nut to someone close, it's not worth the whining.
    When I buy a car, it is my resposibility to check it over and be satisfied before handing over the cash. If the car turns out to be a lemon, oh well, that's life.
    Sometimes buying a car from a family member or friend can be a pain. I never complain about issues that occur to the car i bought from them, but sometimes the friend or family feel they did you a huge favor (even if you pay full retail) and are calling on you for an unlimited amount of favors or feel that they are not appreciated for unloading their stuff on you. I think i need to review the people I know.. lol..
    It is best to deal with some one you don't know, and hope you don't deal with a jackass that bought the Nomad

23. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

unfortunately that is how people are nowadays, don't honor their word. there are some honest ones in the business but there are also a fair share of crooks.

24. daddio211

daddio211

I agree, however if I were the seller and it really was a 305, not the 350 as I stated I would offer a concession. Not a $4000 concession, but I think a ONE TIME OFFER of $500 for my mistake would be appropriate. "Take it or leave it, this is the ONLY time it will be offered, and my apologies for the mistake."

That is, of course, ONLY if I were certain what the buyer was claiming was true.

Edelbroke, I guess you'll be running numbers on every block from now on, won't ya?

Sorry to hear you're in this bind, but my feeling is you owe the guy "something" for your mistake. It's the right thing to do.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

love this thread. 6 pages and then we find out it was a 305 rather than a 350. you should have put that in the first post.

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Long thread that's basically saying the same thing over and over and over. I learned at a early age to cover my bases BEFORE the deal is done whether being the buyer OR the seller. A little saying that makes every deal go better in most cases is "LET THE BUYER BEWARE" ................................. a whole lot better than buyers remorse.:)

Frank

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This thread is hilarious ! Almost to a man, the posts read like real tough guys....."a deal is a deal", "tell him to pound sand" and several testimonies about "if it wasn't as represented, too bad for me, I should have looked closer", "I don't give anybody their money back", "once it crosses the curb, it's THEIRS"

Now, it isn't that I disagree with these comments.......BUT.....the same group is saying how they loathe 'car dealers' who, in most cases have, by these standards, done nothing 'wrong'. You are saying, and claiming to do, exactly what they say and do yet you hate 'em.

Think about it a bit and you'll see what I mean...........The Double Standard is alive and well!! no real surprise there, though.....it's as old as the world's oldest profession.

Ray

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go back and re-read the post about the lawyer's "write, speak, whisper, mumble, nod" advice. Admiting that you made a mistake and offering a rebate is opening the door to law suit. You offer $500 and then buyer sues for $2500 using your offer as his case.

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

305, 350 maybe it's just a typo. Sometiems wehn I tpye I gte in a hrury.......