Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Slick Devils Drive In Movie Car Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Mar 31, 2012.

1. As a club, you start out as a bunch of friends that have like interests that hang out. Then you start to go to local cruises, swap meets, shows or races. You pick up new members along the way and become bigger and stronger. Well, the Slick Devils have been around now for over half a decade and we have become a little bigger and stronger, it is not easy to be a member, as we just don't let anyone in. We have some very talented and energetic folks in our club and think it is time to give back to the hobby. So we are holding our very first car show. It will be held at the Mayfield Drive In and will be a full day event with several bands, models for the kids to build, Chinese auctions and of course a couple awards and other insanity. Not gonna be one of those 5 trophies per class events, its is at a drive in (dust) so keep your trailer queens at home! Now before you all jump us about the years, I promise you that pre 63 will get the preference and park at the front and the later year cars will be in the back! The management at the drive in is a business and wants to fill the place, you all can understand that. If it fills this year then we will change the year cut off.....The show is in conjunction with the Thompson Nostalgia Reunion that is the next weekend, so we are hope full that several of the drag cars will show up for a cackle fest! As for the movies, not sure. The first will be a contemporary new movie, possibly "Men in Black" or "Avengers". We are hoping for the later as Avengers was filmed in Cleveland. The second movie will be our choice out of the corporate list. We have not gotten that list as of yet. When we do it will be on here. It will not be "American Graffiti"...we are thinking a 'B' movie and hopefully black and white. I went to the Cinematic when Ryan did it and had a good time, and I had a car show here about 10 years ago and it went well, so lets give it a try....

[​IMG]

2. 33cruiser

33cruiser

Can't wait for the show!!! Now we need a bunch of HAMBers to come out and fill the place!!!!

Gonna be a great event in Memorial Day Weekend!!!

Hope to see a bunch of you there.

3. John B

John B

Don, if your alls booker can't find you a good movie holler at me. We do a drive-in show down here every year and our guys booker understands what we're looking for.

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Sounds like a good time, count me in.

5. Thanks John B !

6. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

some of the bands

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LFaF6CehMs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iDpsI_wlMQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Gasser57

Gasser57

Looking forward to this one!

8. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Hey Don....have any room for vendors in the back row? I could kick in a dozen DVD's and a few Pin up posters for Chinese auction....If so PM me or stop and see me in early May at Canfield.....Big Bob Moonlight Movies

9. Bob, no prob on setting up on the back row! I didn't pm ya, so folks know you will be there...you can shoot me a pm for particulars! I also wanted to state that the stuff for our Chinese auction are starting to come in! Sherwin Williams is coming up big with some great stuff! Also for the ladies, my daughters basketball team is trying to compete on a national level and they are fundraising for tornment fees and will have a basket chinese auction also! We are having a meeting this monday with the bands to get all that figured out! No word on the movies as of yet:(

10. We met with the bands last night and introduced them to the sound guy. The bands were suprised that the sound guy was so professional and prepared. They are excited and you folks that come can expect some great sound quality out of the bands! Also, the manager has said that there will be no problem for people that have just a little too much fun to stay on the grounds overnight....

11. Gasser57

Gasser57

The meeting was a great time. We're looking forward to the show!

Attached Files:

12. LilMo 56

LilMo 56
    from Cleveland

This one is plastered on the calendar and I'm spreadin' the word (just hope I stay awake for movie #2, "B" movies are my "A" movies).

13. I think maybe you should nap for the first movie! The second movie will be right!

14. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

less than a month away!

15. smautobody

smautobody

19 days and counting

16. 33cruiser

33cruiser

This is gonna be a great show...we'll have a ton of pics for everyone to check out...better yet, if you're close by, head on over!!!!

17. Well, sorry but no "b" movies. The drive in is not digitized so they can only play their catalog.

so the first movie will be "Men In Black 3" and the second movie will be "Dark Shadows"

I will say this bums me out, but I know my wife and kids are excited about it!

We have alot of great stuff for the chinese auction from Sherwin Williams!

- (2) Sherwin Williams Jackets>

- (1) Sherwin Williams BBQ Kit<o:p></o:p>

- (1) Sherwin Williams Thermometer<o:p></o:p>

- (1) Sherwin Williams Bar Stool
    - (10) Gallons of Sherwin Williams Paint<o:p></o:p>

- (1) Torque Wrench &#8211; Chardon Auto<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

18. John B

John B

The problem with digital projection is the conversion costs tens of thousands of dollars to do. Most drive-ins can't afford to do it. The only digital ozoner I know of in Ohio is The Skyview Drive-In in Lancaster.

We've done a show at the Judy Drive-In for the last ten years and every year it becomes harder and harder to find a 35MM print to show. We've pretty much done every really cool vintage film that's related to cars. Last year we tried to get Hollywood Knights but the person before us let their projector turn a couple minutes of the film into confetti. Left us scrambling at the last minute, but we lucked out and got Tales of the Rat Fink.

The other side is , no theater owner wants to give up a night's business on a holiday weekend.

19. Supposedly they will be digitized for next year!

20. Well it's coming fast.....next Saturday. Looks like it is going to be a great time! I have heard a few people asking if they can show up even though they don't have an old car...ABSOLUTELY! They wanted to come because they remember the old cars and going to the drive-in and how much fun it was. I had an 80+ year old guy ask me if the still have the "submarine races" there HaHa!

21. couple more days! We have an 18 wheeler flat bed coming in for the stage that the bands will play on....This place is pretty big and can hold 400+ cars...I dare you to fill it!

22. scarylarry

scarylarry

Good luck Don & the rest of the guys...be careful what you wish for it could get huge!
    It's a lot of work but very satisfying when it works the way you hoped it would. I've always liked the idea of a drive in show.

23. can never get as big as your stuff! Thanks for the encouraging words! I found out tonight there will be a magazine photographer there and also a TV film crew! (not the news)

24. scarylarry

scarylarry

If you want the news there call the local news. They are always looking for stuff & WILL show up for this!

25. I will give it a try! Thanks...

26. 33cruiser

33cruiser

Got a call from one of the producers of "Cruisin Ohio"...they will be at the show to get some footage for their TV show!! Should be some great footage for them with the bands and all the hotrods

27. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Yo, ill be there with my cafe. 45 Spider! Rock out!!

28. damn... if the Redliners CC didn't already commit to another show i'm sure we would be there. i'll make sure it makes our calender next year. best of luck don