Register now to get rid of these ads!

im an idiot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stewedscrewdtattood, Apr 29, 2012.

1. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

so my 61 biscaynes engine decided it was time to retire so i have been slowly putting a replacement in by myself...and this is a first for me ...so everything has been going good till i tryed to start it today....im an idiot and had the timing set on the wrong cylinder....so once i figured that out i went to start it and my mini torque starter took a crap..went to jack the car up to pull it and my jack took a shit.....im at my wits end today just needed to vent

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sounds like someone needs a hug...and a few beers

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Feel your pain brother! We've all had those days. Hopefully you'll get a "yang" day for all the "yin" today and it will balance out :^)

4. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

lol i attempted to put in a older reg sized starter put the car has full length headers and is lowered and the starter is like 50 lbs and all i succeeded in doing is yelling out along array of fowl words and making my arm sore as hell

5. It's what keeps us comming back day after day, the old " it can only get better " syndrome, and it will, keep at it. We've all been there my friend, Miller time!!!

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, just one of my bad days left me with three disabled vehicles in my driveway, a broken coffee pot, and a washing machine puking it's guts out. That was before I even got to work... It could get worse! Hope it gets better.

7. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

thats for damn sure i just hate having a car sitting that i want so badly to drive...im gonna let it rest for a couple days then crawl under again and give her hell

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, join the club. If you never made a mistake working on a car you haven't done much working on any cars.

Years ago I had rebuilt a 61 283 for My T bucket and managed to set the firing order the same as the 350 Oldsmobile that I had. That was backwards for a Chevy. I'm not sure that the neighbors appreciated it when I woke up at 02:30 and went out in the garage in my bath robe and busted the engine off with open megaphone headers. I sure had a big assed grin on my face though.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's the best cure. Take a time out and relax your mind.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Could always be worse. Here's hoping you don't need to shim it.

11. Remember, just when you think things can't get worse, they will. Sometimes you just need to walk away, cool down and regroup for another stab at it. They are just mechanical and can be fixed. Sometimes I have weeks like that. Hang in there. Pat

12. At least your computer is still working..................right??

13. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

yup sometimes walking away is the best fix, and the chance of bloodshed is lessened LOL

14. Deuces

Deuces

How about breaking in a new cam at 4:30 in the morning with open headers???...:eek:
    Yeah! My neighbors love me...:rolleyes::D

15. fanspete

fanspete

:DHa! I can hear you now..."DUCK, GOOSE, CHICKEN.......":D

16. flynstone

flynstone

ha i remember the first time i had the timing off 180 checked rechecked ?????????????

17. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

Don't cry, it didn't catch fire!

18. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

I wired the plug wires backwards on my 57 International when it still had the inline 6 and somehow it ran, but very poorly. I drove it to work and decided after that to take it to the mechanic. I drove it in sputtering and poking along, later that day the mechanic called and said....the plugs wires were in reverse order, I changed them around to the right order and your truck is running fine.........yep....idiot. He was amazed it even ran at all.

The truck eventually died because when I had rebuilt it I didn't know to ask for modern exhaust valves and they became brittle from the unleaded gas and when one finally cracked the piston punched the valve right through the head. That was spectacular.

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Good thing you had your orange juice this morning.

20. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Understand the need to vent but your not an Idiot! The law of Murphy's is getting you good!! At least the Jack didn't go out with you under it! and at least your not like my old boss when I was in high school and finish assembly on a stout 400 Pontiac drunk and start it with a socket in the #2 cylinder!!!!

21. You know what they say, "if it was easy everyone would have a cool car"

22. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

I thought I had the market cornered on idiocy...lol I remember in high school changing the water pump on my pickup, only to realize I left out the gasket. No problem, 8 bolts later, taken off, gasket on, 7 bolts later, I realize I lost a bolt. It landed on top of the crank pulley so that was easy, then I broke it off. Take it all apart again..lol Took 2 days to do an hour job.

Then the starter went out...but that's another story!

23. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

well i gave it a rest today and tomm i will reattack
    ohh and got a new floor jack

24. thehazguy

thehazguy

Pulled the cam wrestled with stuck lifters. Put the new heads on started it up and the metal head gasket leaked. Yanked the head put a new gasket on. Torqued the head bolts and one broke. Drilled an easy out into in and it screwed itself into the water jacket. Well that's where it is now to this day. Can be very trying at times. Sometimes I wish I were a NERD. (NOT)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  25. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

My jack took a shit once and I had to wipe MY ass........venting is good and this is a good place to vent.

26. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

Say hi to the "F@#$ up fairy" for me. good to see they are getting a holiday from my shed for a change

27. when it rains it poors at least for me. to much at one time. have a drink and good sleep then try again.

28. Sometimes you just need to step away, take a deep breath and leave it alone for a while.
    But it's so hard having patience when you just want to drive the damn thing.
    My 40 Ford has been "under construction" for 25 years. I have needed to take a few breaks.

29. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Who hasn't messed up on the firing order at one time or another? When things turn to crap sometimes it's best to walk away for awhile...

30. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

ok well after my break i jacked the car up and installed the old starter and go figure its jamming like it needs to be shimmed...so tomm im gonna get some shims also this thing whines like crazy when it does engage it did it on the last motor is this a sign of soon death???