Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!!! My engine/trans won't come out!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Glass_Packs, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

I'm in the process of doing a engine/trans swap (221/3-speed for another 221/3-speed) in my 1962 Ford Fairlane. The two bolts (on each side) attaching the motor mounts to the engine have been removed and the transmission mount has been unbolted. The z-bar linkage has also been unbolted from the motor. The speedometer has been disconnected. The exhaust (what a job!) has been disconnected. We tried to pull the engine/trans out but it won't budge. The driveshaft will not separate from the transmission. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Thanks!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

2. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

The driveshaft should have a slipyoke at the transmission? Remove from the rear diff and lower and slide the drive shaft from the trans tailshaft. Unless I am misreading your post.
    Good luck

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

You need to remove the driveshaft first(at the differential.)

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Take the trans out of 'Park'. There is a bind...(block the wheels first)

Actually, Shiny Side Up is right, the driveshaft should be removed first.

5. Is this your first engine ? Be careful.
    There's lots of little stuff to look for, grounds, lines blocks hitting firewalls. Linkages, shifters. Wires.

Once you get the drive shaft out...

Get some weight on the lift and try to pry the engine out of the mounts. That usually gets things moving.
    Good luck.

6. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

The cat is a 3-speed standard, with the linkage disconnected. We did unbolt the rear u-joint at the differential and tried to separate it, but no luck. Tomorrow we will give another crack at it - it it doesn't work out come the torches! :(

Thanks!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

7. Brady

Brady

I had a similar problem with a 430 lincoln. The transmission would bind right at the firewall even though it looked like there was plenty of space. I ended up having to disconnect the trans from the engine to get it to lift out, then take the trans out from beneath the car. Good luck!

8. Willy301

Willy301

If your transmission was run without oil, you might have "welded" the yoke to the output shaft....it happens. Other than that, the yoke should just slide out.

9. Torches won't help in the long run .

10. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Jap tin - yep, American Iron - better make sure it's a BIG tree you tie it to.

You've already dropped the driveshaft and it still won't budge? Has it lifted out of the engine AND trans mounts? If so I'm with Hemi Vicky and it's probably a fuel/return line, Ground cable etc...

Scotty

11. You need a BFH and a long ass crow bar.

12. greazy john

greazy john

how come i have to always look at these threads ???????

13. BJR

BJR

To get the driveshaft out unbolt the U joint caps on the rear end. Use a large screw driver or pry bar to pry the U joint toward the front of the car to separate the joint from the rear end. Unbolt the crossmember and the trans mount and remove the crossmember to drop the transmission down to give you the correct angle to pull the engine/trans.

14. I hear that knitting is making a comeback... no getting dirty, grappling with foreign mechanical devices...

Bob

15. Sometimes the yoke hangs up on the tailshaft seal. Take a big rubber hammer or block of wood and a BFH and drive the front yoke out from the tailshaft.

You'll probably have to drop the transmission crossmember as well.

Bob

16. JOHNPO

JOHNPO

17. Same thing happened to me on a 57 Chevy.I ended up pulling the engine w/the drive shaft connected then it took a 3 pound sledge hammer to separate the drive shaft from the transmission.