Register now to get rid of these ads!

"OPINIONS NEEDED" mono springs or dropped axel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kyle Counsil, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Kyle Counsil

Kyle Counsil

We are fixen to do a slight drop on our "Chicken Ranch" truck and was wondering what some peoples opinions / experiences were with the following options.... Mono leaf on all four corners or lowering it with a dropped axel in front and mono rear, Or dropped axel front and blocks out back... By the way it is a 52 Ford F1...
    There was a great thread some time back that someone was building an F1 and showed step by step the lowereing instaling the T5 and building the brakes, but I had it in my favorites and my computer lost it and I can't find it with the search function..

Any halp with either of these would be helpful,

KYLE

Attached Files:

• 469.jpg
      469.jpg
      File size:
      414.7 KB
      Views:
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Is the axle below the springs? If so, blocks are out as a method of lowering.

I think flipping the axles to above the springs will get you a few (maybe 6?) inches really quick. But you will have steering link issues, which you'd have with the other methods as well.

3. dropped axle and blocks in the rear it. If you want it lower you could pull a few springs out of the pack or go to a dropped spring or mono leaf. If you break a mono leaf you are screwed. If you break regular springs you can often limp around.

flipping the rear axle from below to above will give about 6" to 7" drop depending on perches. you dont typically want flip the front to the other side. not saying you cant do

4. lucky ink

lucky ink

5. Nethery

Nethery
    from Palm Coast

Mono leafs and a Sid's dropped axle will get you low in the front without the issues involved in the axle flip. You will still have the drag link problem, but an offset in the link works great. Flip the rear with a frame notch and you are in business.

6. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Sids drop axle in front. Take the stock front springs to a spring shop. Remove 1 small leaf and have the eyes reversed. Relocate the upper shock mount so you can use stock shocks. Make sure you have tie rod drops and bend pit man arm to prevent bump steer.

Everything I hear about monos is that they bounce too much.

How my 59 was done......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=16547

7. Kyle Counsil

Kyle Counsil

thanks guys..I'm gonna check into both

8. i just put reversed eye monoleafs on the front of mine with a sids 3" dropped axle, with dropped tierod blocks. a total of 5 " in front. on the rear i removed every other leaf past the main. drove it about 20 miles at 7:30 this evening. love, no bump steer and i did not bend the steering arm. i will posts picks tommorrow eve if you will remind me. i am running a small block chev and a 5- speed.

9. tiquer

tiquer

Watching this thread as I am just starting on a 53 Merc 1/2 ton and was thinking of the mono leaf setup.