Register now to get rid of these ads!

cam re-grinding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustednutz, Apr 27, 2012.

1. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Are there any automotive cam re-grinders left anywhere? Most that I knew of are either out of business or are doing only industrial applications now. I bought a new steel billet BBC roller cam at a swap meet recently that even though it was too big for what I need, I couldn't pass it up for the price. This cam was sold new in 1990 so I was hoping I could get it re-ground with a newer smaller lobe profile. Any suggestions?

2. Engle is still in business or so I have heard. they may be willing to regrind a cam shaft for you.

Falcon George knows a cam grinder up his way maybe you can get him to see of the fella is willing to regrind yours.

3. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

4. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

Look up Huggins Cams, they are in Olive Branch, MS I think they will still grind cams.

I had one done by them about 4 years ago.

5. hotrodbill

hotrodbill

If its a roller cam, it's going to be hardened, and they may not want to grind it.

If your just building a mundane BBC, just buy another cam....it will probably cost more to grind one than it would to replace it.

6. 41hemi

41hemi

I used Camcraft to have my DeSoto cam reground about 10 years ago when they were in Maryland. I was VERY satisfied with the work! They are now in North Carolina(same owner). Phone number is 1-800-426-2261.

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Delta Cams in Tacoma wa does very good work with good prices.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Elgin cams. Does all of mine. Dem has a web site.

9. grouch

grouch

For many years there was a place in Dallas and there's a good chance it is still there. I have not been in that area in a long time though, but you can try calling: Norfleet Machine. The guy is Johnny. 214-381-1177

If they are still in business, you can't go wrong here. Great work and very reasonable prices.

10. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

11. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Delta Cams in Tacoma Wa. has been around for a long time, They have a very informative web site. deltacam.com

12. 73RR

73RR

There are hundreds of small cam grinders out there (including us), and all of the 'big guys' can reprofile a shaft if they are so inclined. If you have a particular grind in mind then ask that company about cutting yours.

Also ask around at your local parts houses to see if someone is nearby (saves freight). As mentioned, especially since it is a shiverlay part, it might be just as cheap to buy a new cam.

RLTW

13. Oregon Cam Grinding still does custom grinds. Been around over 50 years. 360-256-7985 Ken's as good as you can get. He's also a serious drag racer. I've been using him 40 + years.
    The Wizzard

14. Rob3865

Rob3865

This. We have sent Oregon several jobs and they have done a great job each time. Prices are very reasonable and quick turn around time. They have some good in house grinds too.

15. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Hey guys, thanks for all the leads. I appreciate it.

16. hkestes

hkestes

17. WaynesSpeed

WaynesSpeed

Agreed

18. mikew

mikew

Isky is regrinding one for my Desoto 330 as we speak.

They only have one old-timer who does it and he only works a few hours a day.

19. Crower in San Diego did mine. One day turn around.

20. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I had bullet racing cams regrind one of their roller cams for my employers sbf, to a milder grind

21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Almost any cam grinder can regrind your billet if they have masters for what you want.
    There is only one BIG fault with this scenerio.
    When doing this you will go through the hardening, be it case or heat treat, so the cam will have to be rough ground, sent out to be heat treated again, then the core has to be straightened as close as you can get it, then the journals will have to be ground undersize to get the scale off and restablish the centerline, then the gear will have to be glass beaded and finish burnished by hand then the lobes finish ground. After all this you will hope the snout isn't undersize after cleaning the scale off. Then you hope you can find undersize cam bearings...If not you can make them..No big deal but the whole job becomes a big deal....Much cheaper to buy the cam you want and bolt it in.

"Been in the cam business 59 years"

22. Is Doug Herbert grinding cams? I used to buy them from his dad Chet for my stock cars, unfortunately he is no longer with us.

Bob

23. ive used delta a few times. great guys.