Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted!!! 1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX Pics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FAST EDDIE'S HOT ROD SHOP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

From Facebook Clark Emmert photo

[​IMG]

2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Does this Falcon Qualify

[​IMG]

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Looks like we lost another one. Another great Ford driver from the Match Bash Era. Some Shots that were posted over on Face Book

RIP Tommy McNeely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Thanks to the government imposed mandatory savings plan (income tax), I finally got my annual dividend (tax refund) in the form of fiberglass for the Falcon. Looks like I've got a lot of work ahead for the next few months. My last big ticket aquisition until birthday & Christmas money.

C'mon Eddie. Get that fire lit and lets see some progress on that wagon.....Mike

Attached Files:

5. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Mike can you tell me how much of a weight saving there is with the fiberglass door over the stock ? i already have the teardrop hood,and was thinking about doors and bumpers for my 64...

Thanks Rooster

6. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Rooster

Since I want to keep the roll up windows, I am going to "swiss cheese" the inner metal door & just put fiberglass skins on the outside (my outers were rusted to death). Unlimited Products sold me just the outers instead of the whole doors. If you use stationary plexiglass windows I'd say you will cut the door weight by more than half. The window track, roll up mechanism & glass are the heavy part (probably 1/4). The fiberglass makers can tell you how much their doors weigh. It will probably vary from maker to maker depending on "street" or "race" construction.....Mike

7. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Why not leave doors alone and use tracks with a strap to raise and lower? Al

8. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Lack of funds mean my A/FX ranchero has been stuck in the corner for a while but after seeing all the cool cars and builds in this thread I`am gonna try and get back on it!...... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Can't remember if these have been posted or not...

10. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

296moon

Awesome build. Wish mine was that far along. I like the stance & attitude.....Mike

11. MD1320GUY:

I hear ya Brother, I need to get on the Wagon!, check out the new "Muscle Car Review, May 2012 issue, Great article on the Shaker III, Spoke with Tim Holland already, still got to go get his own copies. Picked up some new pie crust skins for the hardtop, I'll also use them on the Wagon for street tires/car show stuff. At the rate I'm going Bella will have her license before the Draggin Wagon is done, my baby girl is growing up so fast!!!! :(

Fast Eddie
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    spiffy1937 likes this.
  12. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Eddie

What brand are the pie crusts? They look more like Hursts than Radirs. I know how you feel about the time line. I hope I still have a liscense by the time mine is finished. At the rate these old people keep driving thru liquor stores, grocery stores & restaraunts, they may start putting an age limit on driving. I gotta find that magazine with the Shaker article.....Mike

13. Mike:

I picked these up from Towel City out of North Carolina, They were able to make them up for me with the proper height I needed for the Faclon, they are 10x28 1/2x15. They are a re-cap like the Hurst. Got them delivered for a total of $440.00, should see some smoke soon.

www.towelcityracingtires.com

Fast Eddie

[​IMG]

14. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Eddie they will look nice..but the weigh a ton...hahahaha and never hook up..good for show

Rooster

15. I like doing SMOKE SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast Eddie

16. J.T.Mays

J.T.Mays

md1320, great idea for the doors. If you don't mind can you tell us what unlimited wanted just for the skins and what are you going to use to bond them. Thanks for your time. J.T.

17. spacebull1

spacebull1
    from Belgrade

I agree...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

18. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

JT

Unlimited charged me $100 per skin (half the price of the complete doors). I think they are small enough & light enough to ship UPS or Fedex. I don't know the exact name of the product yet but body shops have been using epoxy adhesives to attach panels for years (saw them use it on "Trucks" on TV). When it gets to that point I'll enlist the help of a body shop to install them so I don't screw it up. Good luck & post some photos.....Mike

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Yup, like the Hemi Darts had

20. Muttley

Muttley

I wish I would have thought to do that before I had my door panels made and cut the holes in them for the window cranks.

21. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

That was 1968 technology and I am trying to stay as 1965 period correct as possible. Its only 3 years, but by then heim end ladder bars were common. Pinto front suspension was only a few years later. Next thing you know you have just another "old" bracket car. Don't get me wrong this is not a clone of any one car, but a representation of the traits common to the Falcons of the time (Bonner, Platt, Mcneely, Neal, Balkin, Swann, Holiday). I've had to make a couple of minor concessions so far, but nothing serious. It takes a lot longer to fab with square & rectangular tube than round but thats how it was done in 65. Besides Hemi Dart & Cuda doors were far from production line items (gutted, acid dipped, swiss cheesed, lexan, the works).....Mike

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I'm not sure but I would guess straps were used for windows long before 68 Hemi Darts. So to the HAMB I ask....What cars used straps to raise and lower windows ?? I really would not call this 1968 Technology

23. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Well, I am over 65 & my memory may not be as sharp as it once was, but I don't remember ever seeing a A/FX car with seat belt strap windows (Ford, GM or Mopar). From 64 to 66 most evolved from crank up, to fixed, to no windows at all. Its possible some racers ahead of their time may have used the idea before Mopar, but not any of the Falcon A/FX cars I saw personally (but I never saw Dave Lyall's car). What it all comes down to is when someone looks at my finished car I want them to say "that's just the way I remember them from back in the day" not "they didn't do this back then" or "they didn't use that".....Mike

24. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Not sure 100% but think the 65 SSB Hemi of Howard Comstocks that carried a Mancini Racing logo had straps, havent seen the car since 1987 though. Al

But glad to see you sticking with your plan of the way it was. I'm thinking slightly different with my build:
    (how it will look with todays technology in yesterdays wrapper)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  25. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Shoot up some pics. We are always interested in seeing builds progress whether classic, modern or somewhere in between.....Mike

26. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Thats how im thinking...old wrapper:)...new kinda power and supercharger under the hood :D..with lots of saftey equip..fast time slips..
    I just need to spend some more time back in the shop working on my build..

Rooster

27. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Al i checked out your comet...very cool ! love the cage..it is the same way i am building mine,with the funny car cage and i will be using kirkey seats,mini tube and a lot of other goodies..you can check out my progress on my build thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665058

keep us posted on your progress...cool ride.

Rooster

28. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

The "Strap window" regulator idea actually goes back about a 100 years.Early closed cars used a simiiar method before the invention of crank regulators.I've seen midteen Model Ts with a setup not unlike the modern version.

29. tpw35

tpw35

Progress on my falcon.

Attached Files:

spiffy1937 likes this.