Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scam Alert? Falcon with OEM Cobra 289?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike51Merc, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boutlaw

boutlaw

Just another BS seller on the big "E". Buyer beware for sure. For what its worth, I owned a 64 Sprint, 260, 4 speed car in 66, that was purchased from the original owner. The car had 260 badging on the fenders. When I pulled the engine to overhaul and modify, the damn thing was a 221 V8, not even a 260. Boy was I pissed at Ford. I'm sure I got one of the left over 221's from 63 or 62 that Ford needed to get rid of. THAT's why the car was such a pig, a whopping 145HP, but heck the 260 only had something like 160-165, so I was screwed either way.

BOutlaw

2. Hey now I just happen to have a 390 Cobra out of a rare factory optioned '56 wagon. A 210 wagon at that. :rolleyes:

I would think if it were worded properly and it was a '63 Ford of any type with a Cobra engine in it; it would most likely be a Carrol Shelby option. That's just my .02.

But ya never know I could be a little off base on this one.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. 221's were pretty much done by early 63 so I doubt that a left over got put in that car. more likely the PO had some work done and a shop did it during a rebuild or something. It could have happened, but highly unlikely.

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Pretty much what he said. I'm calling total bull. Have messed with these cars a long time and....

this car has an odd combo of a few sprint details thrown in to a futura package, but the two biggest red flags for me are 1) NOBODY would have put a K code motor in from the factory and not inlcuded the tach option--inconceivable. and 2) almost as unlikley to put a K code in front of an A/T that year.

just my .02

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

In 1964 the 289 like the ones used in Copra's were rare enough that the Factory built Sunbeam Tigers were forced to use the 260 version for that year's LeMans race.

I'm sure if they could have picked a couple engines up by buying some Falcons, they would have done that...
    So a OEM installed Cobra spec 289 in a '63 in more than likely a bullshit story.

Peter Brock did have a 260 with some Cobra go faster goodies on it in his '63 Sedan Delivery.
    That was probably the closest a '63 Falcon came to OEM and a Cobra engine at the same time...

6. I had a '63 with the 260/4 speed,it was a Futura convert'. A Sprint had dress up stuff and a tach.
    In 1963 that guy from Texas, Karol Miller, ran a '63 hardtop with a 289 at Bonneville, but he was probably on the "Friends" list at FOMOCO.
    P.S.,,,some sedans got 260's in '63.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

IMO that convertible was a 6 cylinder when new and someone has installed a 260 or 289 with Cobra dress up parts on it. I did the same thing in 1964, I bought a 289 out of a wrecked Galaxy, bought a Cobra intake, Holley carb, and valve covers and installed them into my bugeye Sprite. But in no way was it a 271 hp true Cobra motor, at best it was a 225 hp four barrel with neat valve covers.

I worked at a Ford dealership in 64 and remember the Sprint falcons very well. They had 260 badging and other accessories like a tach and upholstery that defined them. True Cobra motors came in two forms, the 271 hp and a 306 hp high riser version.

This one is a bogus car for sure, and weren't all the Sprints 4 speed cars ?

Don

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

BUSTED !!!!!!!!!!!

He has revised his ad:

1963 Ford Futura Convertable with a 289 Cobra V8 engine
    As you can see by the pictures this car has been taken care of and is in excellent condition.
    Thanks to all who have inquired on the car. Do to furture investigation we have discoved that this is not the original engine.
    And it runs great.
    The information that we recieved came from the Ford Motor Company themselves.
    Sorry, for the inconvience.

Don

<!-- End Description -->

9. No 289's in 63 1/2 Falcon sprints,,,only 260's and the came factory with plain chrome valve covers. HRP

10. Information from Ford? That's classic.
    I sent him a note and suggested if he didn't want to get sued for Fraud he might want to change his listing - looks like he did.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's about like that "special racing motor" that was in a pickup that my buddy bought for parts a while back. The seller was a good O'l farm guy type who claimed that the truck had "one of those special racing engines in it" when my bud opened the hood, sure enough it had a pair of chrome Summit Racing valve covers on what ended up being a pretty nice 454 that was bone stock.

Anyhow, a 63 Falcon rag top with a later 289 with a little bit of poke to it would be one hell for fun car to have "Cobra" engine or not.

12. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Billy Cain had a 63 1/2 Sprint 289 4 sp ABSOLUTELY ! black with red and white interior ... and once again it had a 289 ! ! it said so right on the valve covers 289 SPECIAL .... oh yea .. and this was back then not a recreation for auction

13. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Who is Billy Cain?

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

he came on the bandit train....

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

OK the guy sent me the VIN on that Falcon so here you go ! Doesn't look right to me but this is what he sent me .

Falcon #160788927464

Retro Jim

16. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

...something that no one has adressed yet that i feel is a good point...who tha fuck cares...

17. nulbmanager

nulbmanager

I just clicked the link from a post above, and he revised the description...stating that it isn't the original motor. Apparently hes been getting some emails...:)

18. modeleh

modeleh

I know this thread is pretty much a dead horse, but on the subject of the K code 289s, I have read somewhere that the 64-65 Comets could be equipped with a 289 Special, or "Challenger", and they had Ks in the VIN, but the engines weren't the same as the 271 horse, K engines put in the Mustangs.
    I believe the top Falcon engine option even by 64 was the 2bbl 200 horse version. I think Comet had a 4bbl 225 horse version in '64 and I think these cars had K in the VINs which has lead to the confusion with the Mustang and Fairlanes 271 hp motors with K VINs. And of course the GT350s had the 306 horse engines, also with the same K in the VIN. Not sure what hp rating was for the 289 AC Cobra.

19. Spooky

Spooky

The 289 AC Cobra was a 306 HP job.
    Regardless, that Falcon is BEAUTIFUL.

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

We care, that's who. We care because we don't like people who misrepresent stuff they are trying to sell because it affects all of us. I consider this a victory, whether the seller was a scammer or just plain ignorant about what he was selling.

We also care because maybe this car was a "holy grail" of Falcons with the unobtainium engine package.
    But it wasn't and now we know.

21. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

half the vehicles/parts on ebay are misrepresented.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Exactly what I was going to post but you beat me to it. It's always amazing just how many people that there are around who are seriously in need of a life (as I wildly wave my arm so as to be sure I'm counted:eek::rolleyes::D) .

Frank

23. The Correct VIN was listed in the Ad originally, still is, and that isn't it. Read back and you'll see that I decoded it and it was a 170" Six Cylinder car.

And posting about about how other people waste their time with this is different How? :D

24. afaulk

afaulk

If people on this and similar sites don't identify and address problems like this, who will?

25. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

Mercury had a different coding system for their engines. You are correct a "K" code Comet is not a "K" Code Ford, well at least in 64. I had a Comet Caliente(Spelling?) with the "K" code in the VIN, 289 single 4 barrell (225HP) and 4spd. I ran a check through the book to be sure, because I was sure that it was the same as the 271HP and was a little disapointed! Anyways, no 289's in 63 Falcons, only Fairlanes and Galaxies. I've had several 63 V8 Falcons including 2 wagons, 2 Rancheros and a Hardtop Futura(not sprint) All V8 cars in 63 also had what they call "torque boxes" under the cowl, just behind the engine, under the floor boards. Ford thought that the added horses would twist the uni-body, so if these are not there, not a factory V8 car!!!

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

I think this question has been answered by now...

Back to Trad Hot Rods & Trad Customs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.