Register now to get rid of these ads!

found a Ford Longroof in the field behind my house

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoparMan4GZUZ, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I don't know the year, but I tracked down the owner and he said I could have it if I want it. Looks like the rear end is all there, no motor, some of the interior is stripped, right front door has been removed but is still there. Only thing is, it is full of wasps. Is this thing worth the trouble of getting and parting out? This is as close as I dared to get, even taking a pic of the interior thru the back was scary (see the wasp in the dash pic!!

Attached Files:

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

It looks like a '68 or '69 Torino.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Could have a 390 in it and a 9" rear. The wasps would be a deal breaker for me! HATE em'

4. belair

belair

Brake cleaner knocks em down fast-get the good stuff before it gets any hotter.

5. Davyj

Davyj

Definitely grab the rear end and leaf springs...........you can make good money there.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Do whatever you need to do to neutralize the wasp problem before you enter the car. Multiple stings can be dangerous (sometimes fatal) and no car parts are worth being hospitalized for. Maybe a quick call to a local pest control would reveal a solution.

Frank

7. 55chevr

55chevr

That would a good platform for a nice hot rod. BBF of SBF. Looks it is all there ... If I had it I would put a 460 Lincoln in it.

8. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Throw a insect fog can in there and run! Haha here in Texas about this time there just now building and can knock you on your ass if you don't show them who is boss. If its got the running gear i would check that out. I'm sure someone out there is looking for something off that car. I wouldn't pass it up for some scrapper to get it.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Get those bug killers that can shoot up too 30 feet away.... This can be fun to watch.... Get a video of it!! :D:D

10. wenkeracing

wenkeracing

That looks like a 68-69 Ltd/galaxie to me the fender marker lights give it away and that probably has a 9.25" not a 9"

11. probably the only thing fun to watch would be me getting my ass stung off.....:D:D

12. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Its a 68 ford ranch wagon or country sedan. Take the roof rack and scrap the rest. One year only body style. Not worth much except in scrap weight or demolition derby crowds.

13. wenkeracing

wenkeracing

Maybe the rear, side, and back glass

14. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

It's a '68 full size, not a Torino. Like wenkeracing said on the RE. A lot of the full size were 302 powered. So not much beefy stuff to back them up. It could make a neat cruiser if you can find the trim bits to finish it. Maybe 2 or 3 bug foggers in there before you touch it though.

15. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated it is a 68 full size and with the bright window frames a country sedan. Can not tell for sure but it looks like there is an emblem on the front fender behind the wheel well meaning it is (or was) a 351, 390 or possibly (but not likely) a 428. The emblems will state the displacement.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  16. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Grab the rear end for sure. It'll be a 9", probably have about a 3.00 gear in it. The wagons had bigger brakes. If it has discs up front grab the spindles, rotors and calipers. Someone might need the dog house but you might have to sit on it for awhile.

17. Deuces

Deuces

The one and only factory 428 powered '68 Wagon is lime green... I do have pictures... That ^^ one might have a 390 in it... If your lucky..

18. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!!...:D:D
    Do the right thing and wait till October or November to take a closer look... The bugs should be dead and gone by then...;)

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Bad Mitten Racket!!! :D

20. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Went on a parts trip last year to E. Wa in the Spring - bad idea. I am highly allergic to insect venom and the area was lousy with wasps; and realised I was a good 45 minutes to the nearest hospital. :mad:

Locals say come back in the Fall.

21. yeah, I think I will wait till november to get the rear end out. Those little buggers should be gone by then. It aint going anywhere, it has to come out my property to leave where it is. Has been sitting in the same place for over 25 years according to the owner.

22. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

:DI always poke things with a stick. I know for a fact Im not allergic. Didnt say I was smart....:D

23. Squablow

Squablow

The trim around the corners of the headlights and on the hood lip are worth some pretty decent money if they're not banged up, although they can be kind of a pain to get off. I sold a half decent pair of the fender trims for about $125 a couple years ago. I also sold a dash pad with one crack in it (but otherwise nice) for $150. There's no reproduction stuff for these cars so there is some resale on certain items. you could part this car out for a grand or more before you scrap it if it turns out not to be a worthwhile project.

24. spooler41

spooler41

MoparMan, I've got a'68 Ford Country Sedan,it's a nice driver,but needs some parts. If you decide to pass on it or get it to part out I'd like to hear from you. I've been looking for a parts car for a long time.

Thanks .........Jack

25. Deuces

Deuces

I'd be worried about brown recluse(sp) spiders also...... Beware!!!!!!!!!

26. Spooler, It's already been given to me, I am not going to do anything more than part it out and junk the rest. PM me with your needs, but be patient, until I get the wasps to take up residence somewhere else, I am not going near it.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My friend is a fireman, and has a side business of recharging fire extinguishers.

He has a collection of old, obsllete, antique, etc. fire extinguishers...I mentioned wasps, and he dropped by with an Excelsior fire extinguisher...the kind that used to hang in schools in the '50s.

I simply put 2 quarts of diesel in it, pump air in the schrader valve, and pay my little friends a visit. 40 p.s.i. of air will last me for about 8 big blasts, kills the little darlings faster than a curse...
    When I sling that cylinder with its hose & nozzle, it's like "No Country for Old Men"...
    I'm a desperado with Diesel under pressure. An insect annihilater with gray hair...
    Certainly no country for yellow jacketed varmints!

28. jcs64

jcs64

fit that thing w/ an igniter on the and then you'd be in buisness

29. evs1

evs1

From all the spider webs I'd go with a bug bomb that kills them too. Afterward when you can get closer for a little longer, tarp the openings and hit them adain. Black widows love old cars, so do snakes.

30. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

"What you need is some pyrethrum, made from the dried flowers of the chrysanthemum plant..."

[​IMG]