Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mufflers, which one to choose?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Apr 18, 2012.

1. clockwork31

clockwork31

I have a 1962, 327 small block chevy with lake headers in my model A sedan, I can't and I don't want to run open headers so I want an exhaust system under the car. I would like to have a nice low tone sound. What is you favorite type of mufflers? Porter, Smithy's, cherry bomb etc. What do you run?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

• 800.jpg
      800.jpg
      File size:
      67.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Never get a good consensus on this one, each muffler has it's supporters. Even some POOR souls out there that prefer Flowmasters (YUCK!!!!!)
    Search will find many posts about .
    For the record, I've got a set of original 50's SMittys, I bought NOS at CArlisle in 82, but all the rest of my customs run Brockman Mellowtone Mufflers. Love'em.

3. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

just got a set of brockmans for my wagon. can't wait to get them on.

4. davidh73750

davidh73750

I put brockmans on my 55 4dr and really like them and they are about $80 pair.

5. cederholm

cederholm

6. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

You've got to be "old school" with a comment like that! :D

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

Not really - my wife (who knew nothing about cars at the time) once said to me at a car show "Why does that car sound like it's underwater?"
    It was running Flowmasters.

8. The muffler debacle has been run into the ground lately,,try using the search button.

BTW,I prefer the sound of Flowmasters,,but I ain't cool like some of you guys here!:rolleyes: HRP

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Isn't that kind of the point 'round these parts? Flow Masters belong on Camero's :D. (Yes I know how to spell "Camaro")

10. Sound is totally subjective, but I still say SMITHY'S sound perfect for these cars!

11. Flowmasters can sound pretty good, imho. Click the Youtube link in my signature.

I've been running thse for about 7 years, and I am considering a change, though. Just to change it, not because there's a problem or anything like that.

12. Muttley

Muttley

I had a pair behind a 283 in my old '39 Coupe and you couldnt even tell it was running, I was really disappointed in them.

13. clockwork31

clockwork31

I did and I saw the thread about porter vs flowmaster and another one about smithys vs cherry bombs... I want more opinions on other brand as well.

thanks guys!

14. Bent-8

Bent-8
    from nc

IMHO -- Smithy's are too quiet. With the lake headers, home made baffles are the way to go. Or, if your lazy, buy some from Car Chemistry.

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

While you are on youtube you can put the name of the muffler in search,crank up the speakers and hear for yourself :cool:

16. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

Just me...I Like Magna Flow...They have a nice rumble...To each his own..

17. I like the cheap generic turbo mufflers. Gives a nice deep tone, but not too quiet.

18. clockwork31

clockwork31

on youtube it's ok if you wanna hear flowmaster, dynamax and magnaflow, for "more traditional" mufflers it's not that easy!

19. A Boner

A Boner

Never-rust stainless......4" dia.......about 22" long.......they sound good, and they never rust!

20. What we need is a Ricola guy blowing into each muffler to hear the difference.

Attached Files:

21. On my O/T pickup I have 350 290hp with 2 1/2" exhaust system and Magna Flow mufflers. Nice and throaty at idle, mellow tone when cruising, but bark real good when you stomp on the go pedal.

22. krooser

krooser

I used to run Walker Continentals... liked them the best. Now I use some cheapy glasspacks that I get from my muffler guy... about $16/each and they sound good.

23. my opinion is to look to see what you can fit underneath a model a
    i had side headders and found a oval thrush i was going to hide behind the running boards but still had the original model a center crossmember which is real big and low
    quit on th car so noproblem but there may be a room problem:rolleyes:

24. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Ditto

25. JimSwann

JimSwann

I made a set for my truck. 4'' pipe for the outside, 2'' for the baffle inside, drilled the baffle, packed it with steel wool and welded it up. I dont know what they sound like yet. Looking back it would have been easier and cheaper to buy a set, but it was fun making them.

26. teddyp

teddyp

2nd that blockmans,s on both my customs love the sound

27. Zebra

Zebra
    from Mineesota

28. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I bought my lakes headers through Car chemistry and got their baffles, you can make them as loud or soft as you want by packing the chambers with fibergalss mat until you get the sound you want.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST

CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST
    from LOUDON, TN

For the type of car you are building the new CHERRYBOMB Traditional muffler(available in 2" and 2-1/4") would be perfect. It is a little bit deeper tone than our normal glass pack since it is more of a muffler and is not packed with glass. Our glass pack is also a good choice since we offer 33 different lengths and configurations you should have no problem getting a pair to work. Remember the longer the glass pack the quieter it will be.