Register now to get rid of these ads!

BB chevy valve covers to fit BB ford 460

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADVANCE1, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

seems like I heard of this somewhere, do they make an adaptor? anyone know about this?

2. 62rebel

62rebel

god i hope not.

3. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

For looks, or am I missing something?

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

wouldn't it be better the 'other' way around?:D

yeah,there's not a lot of BBF valve cover to choose from.

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive seen adapters for intakes but not for v.c. im hoping they do make them bercause ive got a few bbfs and they arent alot of v.c. choises

6. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I race the 460 & I know of at least 10 different covers. Go to 460.com and post a request for cover pics.

7. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

It was somewhat common back in the day when nobody made Ford covers to clear roller rockers. Don Nicholson had Chevy (Moroso) valve covers on his 494 match race engine.

I don't know of any adapters. I think they just drilled and tapped the cover rail for the Chevy bolt pattern.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  8. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

9. choke

choke

A fellow that worked for me made a set of adaptors for this purpose. I don't think there's any commercially available. I do know the chevy valve cover lay right on the head rail. Just the bolt holes don't line up.

10. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

The reason is that I want some M/T alum. fin covers and do not see any listed new or used for the BB ford, although seems like I do remember seeing them for the ford but do not like the step down on top, would prefer the flat top of the BB chevy, for that 60s 70s older look.

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I do know that the early aftermarket heads had BBC style exhaust ports and bolt pattern to make finding headers easier.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had MT covers on mine. I would never have put Valve Covers on it that made people think it was a Chevy.

13. These are Holly but the earlier ones had the M/T logo on them and they aren't that hard to find.

14. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

not wanting people to think its a chevy, just want some older style covers. will look for those holley covers and see what I can find, thanks.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I see where the title can be confusing. Interesting reading here, just a pure case of useing what can work and not trying to say a Ford is a Chevy. Seems traditional enough to me.

16. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I have the early MT covers on my boat - on a 460 and they are 460 covers. If you go to the 460 site and post a wanted add you will find them, even a wanted add here wouldn't hurt.

17. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Another thought is will they (holley/MT) clear roller rockers with a 660 lift cam

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

It would be way smarter to just get the motor that the bbc covers belong on

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Boo! hiss..boo!:D

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The MT covers cleared Isky roller rockers on mine. I do not remember what lift my Crower cam had. It was a Bonneville grind flat tappet and I don't think it was .660

21. gasman826

gasman826
    from Addison MI

M/Ts and OEM CJs clear Harland Sharp with plus .660 lift WITHOUT gridle
    [​IMG]

22. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Its well known with todays tech. that an engine is just an air pump, it do'es not matter what name is on the valve cover. If you build a 454 chevy or a 460 ford and the heads flow the same and it has all the other parts matching (cam-carb-intake) both engines will make the same HP and for sure be within a few HP of each other, like I said just an air pump. Yes it has been a chevy world for some time but in the last 20 or so years ford and other makes have started making way better cyl. heads and now the playing field is even ?

23. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

No the playing field isn't even. NHRA is scared shit-less of the big Ford and set a bore space rule to keep it out of nostalgia T/F & a big show rule (426 Chrysler only) to keep it out there also.

24. putting big block ford valve covers on a bbc..

(PUFF-PUFF-PASS):D

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you know someone crafty enough with a mill you could come up with adapters but if you had to pay someone to make them they would cost more than a set of new valve covers that might not be quite what you want appearance wise but would do the job.

26. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

NASCAR did the same thing in the 60s When Ford started to dominate. I will give GM credit for listening to Duntov when it came to hot rodding and the SBC!GM did supply what the public wanted Ford was slow to follow and I was a Ford guy growing up, now I like what I like just depends on the vehicle itself.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I heard of adapting 460 valve covers on a 472/500 caddy but not bbc on a 460.