Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958/1959 Chevrolet Apache- For Free!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64LeSabre455, Mar 17, 2012.

1. gasshole

gasshole
    from new jersey

Well Ill be damned thats nicer than mine.

2. 1959apache

1959apache

cool man, I like the fleetside beds and look like they are in decent shape. I like how people jump you and ask if you are going to sell the beds lol

3. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

rough, but i wouldnt say no to them!!! score. i could use those fleetside emblems for my short wide

4. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Have fun with it! You're starting with no money out of pocket!

5. Kuhly1

Kuhly1
    from Quincy Il.

Heck you cant beat a free truck. Good score.

6. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

a little rough but what isn't?
    good find :D

7. free truck and garage art, you scored!!

8. did you get that truck started yet? giter done neil!

9. 73super

73super

I think I'm going to have to subscribe to this one. I love that truck.. even has "a little patina" on it.. ha! What a great project. Fun, fun, fun! and another one is saved! That's awesome! Great find, great project.

10. 62dartman

62dartman

Man, after spending (wasting) soo many hours on that "sitting and rottin pic thread" im glad to see one get out and go to a good home!!! Good luck man!!

11. Excellent score , and the price was just right!

12. bstie

bstie

I love that style of truck I will be watching to see what you do with it. Great Score. That sign is killer!

Attached Files:

13. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Free is good! Better than it sitting another 20 years. Nice that the guy let it go. I wouldn't do anything but try and get it running safe and drive it!

14. mt94ss

mt94ss

Found it! Cool art, too. It's nice to have space to store them until the time is right to fix 'em.

Good luck finding your cab. I thought Texas vehicles were rust free, not like here! :D

Subscribed.

15. mt94ss

mt94ss

16. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Damn, I wish I would have seen this earlier, the listing has already been deleted!

Here are a couple of shots to show why I need a new cab!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

How about just the top of a cab in the DFW area? Might have something, driver side bashed and we need the floor, I can find out what the plan for it is. PM if you want more info.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Nice score! Can't beat free stuff! I got the truck in my avatar for free, was pretty rough for AZ standards but not anymore!

There's a small window cab with doors in Dewey Az if you want to go for a drive....http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/3313445005.html

19. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I have been following your build, nice work! I like what you started with and where your at now. Keep it up!

BTW, do you know where the front bumper on your truck is from? What are you gonna do for a rear, I don't think the one that was on there can handle a rear impact!:D

Here are a couple more photos of some of the issues with the cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally a shot of the rear frame rail, which has some issues. Is there supposed to be a crossmember at the rear??
    [​IMG]

20. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

The one seen in the pic is the last crossmember. Just straight frame after that.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! It has come a long way since I got it.

Wow I can see why you need a new cab!! I'm pretty sure the front bumper on my truck is the original one, as for the rear I'm probably going to put a stock bumper back on it. Rather than a 2x6..........although that 2x6 is now hanging on my wall!

22. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

nice find, just goes to prove if you dont stop and ask, you will never know. I love fleetsides, round up a cab and start wrenching. good luck!

23. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

This weekend, I traveled up to Dallas, and met up with APACHE FS. He PM'd me a while back about a cab that his buddy had, and that he had no use for it and would sell it to me if I was interested.
    I was very interested, I have been looking for a cab on and off for the last few months. The cab he had needs some work, but it is about 80 percent better than the one I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There is a little rust in the window channel, but nothin a little metal, and some welding won't fix.
    I also picked up some parts from 39dodge(Gary), that he had posted in the classifieds.
    very good parts, and great guy to work with.
    [​IMG]
    Solid hood!

[​IMG]
    Tailgate!

I also picked up some back glass for it. Still need some odds and ends, but a lot better than one I started with! Now to get it running and driving for the Lone Star Roundup!

24. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I have been building this truck in my head for a while now. I have had visions of Nailheads, and 5 speeds!

I have been trying to decide which way to take this truck. Do I stay with the stock front end, get a drop axle remove some leafs, or do I go with a subframe?

I don't know if a drop axle with some leafs removed will ride well with the weight of a 425.
    If I do go subframe, what sub to use(everyone says camaro, but what other options do I have?) Maybe a Buick sub frame, 70's skylark???
    What 5 speed do I use?
    What rear end will compliment the engine torque and 5 speed that I choose?

There are many questions that I have no answer to, and I hope that you can assist me!

I know the subframe route is not traditional, but I would like to have other options if the stock front end will not work.

25. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Still lookin for a good reason to keep the solid axle in the front. Everything is leaning towards a front clip. I just might scrap it If I don't get any info!

Front track width measurements

58 apache- 60.75

'78-'88 Chevy Monte Carlo, Malibu, El Camino(117.1 wheelbase), Olds Cutlass, Pontiac Grand Prix -58.5
    67 Skylark-59.0
    72 Skylark-59.3
    '68-'74 Chevy Nova -59.8
    67 Pontiac tempest,lemans GTO- 60.0
    67 firebird 60.0
    '93-'02 Chevy Camaro-60.7
    1975 AMC Pacer-61.2
    '76-'80 Chevy Camaro Z-28, Pontiac Trans Am T/A- 61.3

* These #s are pulled off of various websites, obviously I wasn't able to measure all of these. If any of these are incorrect please inform me.*

26. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Wanna pass a little of that good kharma along? , how much you want for that goodyear tire sign?:D:D:D

27. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I have a 4" drop axle in mine, if you are considering a rear axle change then that's a plus for a clip. Will make it easier to match up. You didn't see the 59 we are building, just finished a camaro sub in it. I personally don't like the width of the front or rear on that but it's used a lot. The stock low gear rear end would most likely be ok with the 5 spd. If someone else agrees I would say stay straight axle. Once it's updated with new tie rod ends and king pins it's not bad. I wouldn't remove any leaves up front if you put in the nailhead. Shouldn't be too stiff. Hope everything is moving along smooth for you, good luck

28. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I haven't started on anything yet, still planning my attack. Gonna move it to my house this next weekend and start tearing it down. I have removed the bed, to get a better look at the back of the cab. The nailhead would be the second phase of the project!

29. txturbo

txturbo

I would go with the camaro/firebird subframe. My 55 has a 79 Trans Am subframe welded to the bottom rail of the stock frame. Easy.....and it drops the front end and gives it a nice rake.

30. 1959apache

1959apache

I keep seeing this pop up and I get excited to see your progress and nothing so far!! whats the deal!!!! :D :D