Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapping Banjos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lx450landcruiser, Apr 17, 2012.

1. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser
    from wa

So I have a 29 model a. Looking to upgrade the rear banjo to hydrolic brakes. I got a decent deal on what I was told is a 39 Banjo rear. It has the hydrolic brakes but the leaf is suspended behind the axle. The other issue is a bolt pattern is not the 5 x 5.5 which Id like to keep.

Can I swap drums to is it 41 drums? to get the bolt pattern back?

Can I swap the axle housings from my 29 model A to the newer 39 so I can keep the leaf placement?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

no, the newer housing is IS wider...you can use it ,but tires stick out...i cut and welded new spring mounts on the newer housing for one of mine....me thinks the changing of drums is all that is needed for bole circle change....keep us informed...ps like the pics...kev

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'm pretty sure that you wont be able to swap the axle housings. The Model A bell is 9 3/4's in diameter, while the '39 is 10 inches. Also, I believe the '39 tubes are longer.

Might want to double check that stuff before you take anything apart.

4. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser
    from wa

Im thinking of running fenderless so I suppose I dont mind about the width of the axle I dont think its too much wider? Ill be modifying the frame for a drop so Id like to keep the axle placement the same as what is currently there. Did you weld to the bel housing of the axle or to where the backing plates bolt too for the brakes? Is it possible to make a bolt on bracket that would hold the spring? Maybe bolts to the brake holes on top?

5. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser
    from wa

you are correct sir I should have remebered that

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

7. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser
    from wa

8. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser
    from wa

Side note what year drums should i be looking for? that would fit this 39 axle but have the 5 X 5.5 bolt pattern?

9. You need 1940-48 to get 5 on 5 1/2.

Charlie Stephens

10. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

Bolting later Ford brakes to you model A rear is as simple as cutting the backing plate so that it clears the spring perch on the housing. You must also use later (1941-1948) hubs ( flange on outside of drum) with the 1940 brake drums mounted on the oputside of the hub. this is done for clearance. Hydraulic brakes are a great improvement over the sometimes reliable mechanical brakes.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It should be noted that however you mount your rearend you need to keep it from twisting, whether that involves using the stock torque tube or fabbing stuff if you go open drive, the original wishbones wont help on open drive

12. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser
    from wa